Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Ford BOSS 494 3d printed

mad mike

Hello everyone,

can't seem to find the time doing 1/8 work, so here's another one of my 1/24 engines.
As usual, no attention to color, wiring etc, simply made of printed parts with no finish other than an overall thin layer of silver.
It's a real beast this one, the only time Ford tried to win something in the Can-Am using it in the G7A with Andretti driving. He said he couldn't reach forward to shift when the torque came on.

If you notice any mistakes I'd be glad if you tell me since the 1/8 version is still in the builds. I need all the input I can get since pics of those engines, especially of the front and underside are really rare.
I did the entire 3D modelling myself this time, only having some block drawings from a nice guy on a forum and some photos. Was a blast, especially those "knuckle" rocker covers! Hope you enjoy it too!

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0440.jpg

DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

DSC_0446.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Gramps, thanks for the photo, in color too! Wish I had been there to see and hear those run.

About selling copies: I guess since this is a very special engine a stock version (single Holley?) would be of more use to you guys? I would suggest a "block only" version, without headers and gearbox, that would keep pricing much lower too.

What do you all think? And if you have any pics of the engine out of the car please show 'em!

11 minutes ago, mad mike said:

Gramps, thanks for the photo, in color too! Wish I had been there to see and hear those run.

About selling copies: I guess since this is a very special engine a stock version (single Holley?) would be of more use to you guys? I would suggest a "block only" version, without headers and gearbox, that would keep pricing much lower too.

What do you all think? And if you have any pics of the engine out of the car please show 'em!

i would say, keep it as it is  now !   looks too nice to be in a car body and never see it.    perfect  for an engine stand  for a  race shop  diorama.

6 hours ago, mad mike said:

Hi!

I built fantasy Bonneville cars (streamliners or modified), so your engine as-is would be perfect for a mid-ship mount on a looooong liner I'm building. The planned powertrain was Ferrari California's by Revell (with mods, of course).

But I would gladly change course and install a copy of your Boss engine as-is... 

What do you say?

CT

This is just amazing. For a 1/24 the detail is insane. I can see bolt heads, with washers behind them, weld lines on the air horns, and clip for the distributor cap.

For a 3D print, the resolution is very good. Is this the printed finish, or did it take a little clean up?

On 2/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Oh, the wonder of 3D printing. Your programming skills are up with the best, Sir. Bravo!

Would-you consider selling copies of this very engine in 1/24?  I can think of a couple of my projects where it would fit perfectly...

CT

It would look AWESOME in a Pantera.

Everyone, thanks for the kind words.

@beeRS: I just cut the support struts off and painted the parts. No further cleanup whatsoever.

@peteski: it's made of several parts: block, gearbox, exhaust system, intake plate with stacks, pulleys, distributor, starter with bellhousing spacer. If you look closely you will see gaps between the parts. The problem with kits in too many pieces is the space they take up on the machine and the cleaning effort. That's why I like to print the block with heads and covers on.