Model Cars Magazine Forum

airplane model decals for model cars

Cedward

1:24 scale for true fidelity, otherwise 1:48 would probably be OK. The real problem of course, is that 1:24 decals, though great for aircraft models, are probably downsized considerably for a 1:24 car, so the smaller scale would be better. 1:72 might actually work too, depending on which specific markings you're after.

There is no specific answer to the original question.

Because of the variety of sizes of various images and logos on airplanes, the answer is: whatever will be appropriate to fit the need.  Even 1:24 scale airplane decals have some smaller logos which might be perfect for a 1:25 scale car.  Or someone might fins some decal image from a 1:144 scale airplane a perfect fit for some place on their 1:25 scale car.  There are no set rules or best fit.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:13 PM, alexis said:

1/24 Airplane decals will not fit most cars. Planes are Big, and what fits on th e side of a plane will probably only fit on the hood of a car.

From past experience with Nose Art, 1/48 seems to work best.

I found a partly-built 1/24 scale Trumpeter P-51 Mustang at a flea market. It was cheap so I grabbed it, thinking I could use some of the parts.  That kit also has 3 1/24 scale resin figures in the box.

You're right, the decals are mostly way too big for most 1/24 cars.  But some might come in handy, especially the stencil data.  I can see building a post-WWII hot rod, with a fuel tank, seats or other parts marked with "USAAC" octane warnings, serial numbers, etc.  That would make the parts look like they were government surplus. Which would be right for the post-WWII era, when the govt. dumped tons of surplus gear and hot rodders snapped it up.