Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just doesn’t want to fit

50 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

Make sure that the two little tabs on the front of the interior bucket are in their holes in the firewall. That makes a difference.

I know, that’s why I put the interior tub in.  It’s not the interior holding  it.   The same thing was happening when doing fit checks without the interior.   The body will meet the fenders if I press it down but not sure that it will stay after gluing.  Any other ideas?

This is the kit, anyone else had this issue and how did you correct it?

0D6A7EC5-AA0D-45E5-844C-B7BB4F8061CE.jpeg

Edited by ratherbefishin
Add image

Looks like the tops of the rear fenders are too far away from the body. Stated another way, when viewed straight on from the rear, the LR fender appears to have been rotated counter-clockwise, and the RR fender clockwise.

How does the grille piece fit inside the opening on the fenders piece? Is the gap wider at the top than the bottom?

Might be a bit of a warpage issue. That rear end shot does make the fenders look a little wonky.

Try setting each of the parts on a perfectly flat surface and see if they all sit flat and evenly on it. If any of them don't, that might be your problem. If they do, try checking the parts for any signs of a bow distortion that would cause them to fit wrong.

Another suggestion would be, if you have another one of these kits, try fitting these parts to that kit and see if it's the same problem. Can't believe they all fit like that.

I think the 39/40 gasser kit built stock shares the same body/fender parts. I just built one as a 39 back in Sept and it went together well. To me from the photos, it appears your fender assembly is warped. Mine fit well enough that I just literally tacked the assemblies together with a few well placed drops of glue in case I want to pop it apart at a later date for what ever reason. When I was a kid I cann't tell you how many of these sedan kits I built, always a fan lol ! But I remember one or two not quite as bad as yours but similar. I just glued it and weighted it  till dry, as well as I can recall. As long as the seam lines mated I was happy, then sliced any openings for the bumper brackets as needed. They always turned out acceptable to me. A couple I turned into stock cars though, so those got all cut up and cut down anyway, very cool looking I might add, because you expect to see coupes done up as stock cars.. Just sayin.

Yours might be warped enough you may need to get a little heat involved.

Both the body and the fenders look to sit flat.  No gaps that I can see.  I might just try to take a little material from the drivers side of the running board area, though it feels the same.  Whatever it is it’s minute, just enough to not allow it to sit as it should.  After work, I’ll check the fit on my 40 ford panel unbuilt, to see if it’s the same.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

I seem to recall having a similar problem when I built my AMT '40 Ford Coupe. Been awhile so the details are fuzzy at this point, but I remember something about cutting the "crossmember" between the rear fenders and either lengthening or shortening it in some way. When I got finished the body and fenders fit perfectly and to this day is not even attached with glue. 

I also spent a lot of time making the hood fit. Later, after achieving the fit I was looking for,  I noticed in pictures of real '40s that their hoods don't seem to fit too well either, and the AMT kit was probably more accurate in this area than not. Oh well. But that's another story for another day. 

Oops,  I think it says to remove that cross support between the rear fenders. Pretty sure I removed it and had no trouble with the fit.

Edit: Well, it's not in the instructions, it may have been embossed on the piece itself unless I'm thinking of another kit lol !

Edited by Dave G.
additional info

10 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I think the 39/40 gasser kit built stock shares the same body/fender parts. I just built one as a 39 back in Sept and it went together well. To me from the photos, it appears your fender assembly is warped. Mine fit well enough that I just literally tacked the assemblies together with a few well placed drops of glue in case I want to pop it apart at a later date for what ever reason. When I was a kid I cann't tell you how many of these sedan kits I built, always a fan lol ! But I remember one or two not quite as bad as yours but similar. I just glued it and weighted it  till dry, as well as I can recall. As long as the seam lines mated I was happy, then sliced any openings for the bumper brackets as needed. They always turned out acceptable to me. A couple I turned into stock cars though, so those got all cut up and cut down anyway, very cool looking I might add, because you expect to see coupes done up as stock cars.. Just sayin.

Yours might be warped enough you may need to get a little heat involved.

Tried some more sanding, nada.  The fenders do have the little protrusions on the top  and the body does fit but then jus rises up unless pressed into place.

I think I do near some “heat”.  So, like a hairdryer? Just hold it in place and apply heat?  How do I do this?

Have you looked at the bottom edge of the body where it rests on the running boards ? With age there may be some flash in that area that will keep the body from dropping down on the fenders properly.  These used to fit fine years ago. 

2 hours ago, ratherbefishin said:

Tried some more sanding, nada.  The fenders do have the little protrusions on the top  and the body does fit but then jus rises up unless pressed into place.

I think I do near some “heat”.  So, like a hairdryer? Just hold it in place and apply heat?  How do I do this?

You don't want to listen to me on that topic because I'm nuts lol, and go after the offending spot with a charcoal grill lighter or candle. You might want to be more conservative and follow someone else's lead there, some folks like a hot water soak for instance.. I've never had much luck with a hair dryer, maybe someone else has. I've just been using an actual flame for 60 years but I can't say I never wrecked anything either.

I wonder if you set those fenders on the frame if you can see where they are tweaked. Assuming it's them and not the body ( but it looks like the fenders from the photos).

Edited by Dave G.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Have you looked at the bottom edge of the body where it rests on the running boards ? With age there may be some flash in that area that will keep the body from dropping down on the fenders properly.  These used to fit fine years ago. 

Yes, the body seems fine.  But, then again, the fenders look ok to me, given these old eyes, but no flashing is visible anywhere.  I am thinking about rubber banding the body to the fenders, then dousing the whole thing in a pot of very hot water for a few seconds and then letting it cool before I take off the rubber bands to see if that might work to force it to fit.  Thoughts?

1 minute ago, ratherbefishin said:

Yes, the body seems fine.  But, then again, the fenders look ok to me, given these old eyes, but no flashing is visible anywhere.  I am thinking about rubber banding the body to the fenders, then dousing the whole thing in a pot of very hot water for a few seconds and then letting it cool before I take off the rubber bands to see if that might work to force it to fit.  Thoughts?

Looking back at your pictures it looks like there is a gap between the point where the cowl and the front fenders meet as well as the rear fenders not meeting the body. You mentioned that the bodies bottom edge looked good so I'm wondering if maybe the fender/ running board part might be a little warped. Since you haven't painted it yet you might just soak the fender & running boards in very hot water then bend them ever so slightly and hold them until they cool. I would bend just a little at a time and see if it is helping before you go any further. As for the bending part I would support the area of the running boards at both ends a gently push down on the middle section until it cools. Let use know if this helps.     

7 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

I know you said the interior clears ok but did you try fitting the body to the fenders before the interior tub went in ? It really looks like the whole left side is sitting up off the fender assembly.

Yes, I did that first, had the same issue and then put in the interior to see if it might make a difference.  That’s what I thought initially.

8 minutes ago, ratherbefishin said:

Yes, I did that first, had the same issue and then put in the interior to see if it might make a difference.  That’s what I thought initially.

Then I wonder if the right side is in a pinch somehow and lifting the left side off. If the body is in contact with the running board though, then it's the fenders as the post above this one indicates.

Edited by Dave G.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Looking back at your pictures it looks like there is a gap between the point where the cowl and the front fenders meet as well as the rear fenders not meeting the body. You mentioned that the bodies bottom edge looked good so I'm wondering if maybe the fender/ running board part might be a little warped. Since you haven't painted it yet you might just soak the fender & running boards in very hot water then bend them ever so slightly and hold them until they cool. I would bend just a little at a time and see if it is helping before you go any further. As for the bending part I would support the area of the running boards at both ends a gently push down on the middle section until it cools. Let use know if this helps.     

David, this might just be the ticket!  Seems to be helping a little each time.  I’ll continue this very gradual process.  THANK YOU!

12 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Oops,  I think it says to remove that cross support between the rear fenders. Pretty sure I removed it and had no trouble with the fit.

Edit: Well, it's not in the instructions, it may have been embossed on the piece itself unless I'm thinking of another kit lol !

David, there is no mention in the instructions and from what I see, there is no cross member to remove.  There was a sprue to be removed but it was on the outer side of one running board.  Thanks!

BY GEORGE I THINK WE’VE GOT IT!

Thanks to all, hot water and slow gradual progress worked.  Might have some seam issues to deal with but no big gaps anymore.  I reckon this type of stuff is what this forum is all about, thanks for walking me through it.  I really, really appreciate the interest, expertise, patience and wisdom.  I drove this car my first two years of college long, long ago and this model is important to me.

C15B92DB-EC60-414B-9B20-47E896C42291.jpeg

0FB234AC-B321-4EAA-BFE2-04BF4D72E8DE.jpeg

CBDF149A-40C2-442C-980E-1F82B79BDC49.jpeg

52DD0CAC-EB49-4EB5-BDB1-746C52FB4518.jpeg

If I'm correct and this kit is the same as my 39/40 kit was then your next fit problem will be the 39 hood to cowl. Might as well check that now. I never got mine 100% there but it is acceptable for my needs. I did mine as part of a build off with another guy from the forum building the same kit as a 39 and his 39 hood was the same as mine. I'd like to eventually build another one too and refine a couple of points a bit further .

Edited by Dave G.

I don't want to upset anyone, but my personal favorite of the two is the forty. I have always wanted to use the fender portion of the '40 Ford coupe on the sedan body. I know trying to align the '39 grill in the fenders and the hood and cowl offers some real challenges  Has anyone here tried using the '40 fenders instead ?  

4 hours ago, espo said:

I don't want to upset anyone, but my personal favorite of the two is the forty. I have always wanted to use the fender portion of the '40 Ford coupe on the sedan body. I know trying to align the '39 grill in the fenders and the hood and cowl offers some real challenges  Has anyone here tried using the '40 fenders instead ?  

No I haven't tried that espo. Why do you think the coupe fenders might be better ? I've built several of each over the years but too, several were cut down into modified circle track cars. I just assumed the two fender sets were the same.  My favorite in stock or street and strip car is the sedan by a fair margin over the coupe though. I like both the 39 and 40 versions of each but the 39 has a couple of elements that are incorrect ( the dash is wrong for a 39 but correct for the 40 and 39 wiper blades were mounted at the top of the windshield not along the cowl. And the 39 had a floor shift so the column shift is incorrect in the kit, though they do give you a chrome stick for the floor that needs paint). This last one I built as a 39, copying one I built as a kid in dark green and tan interior. I think if I built a coupe right now it would be the Revell/Monogram 40 standard  built bone stock maybe in dark blue, although black might be appealing...

By the way, the 40 hood fits the sedan body cowl better than the 39 hood does too. But it's incorrect out front in both profile for a 39 and to fit the 39 grill.

Edited by Dave G.