Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiber glass texture?

you might find some textured tissue paper in the scrapbook section of a hobby store with the texture your looking for. I'm not sure how it would hold up to painting though as some of it can be pretty delicate. Another option might be to mix some flocking into paint and brush it on. I haven't tried either of these ideas so your best to test it first before doing it on the model.

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Rustoleum makes a textured spray paint that would work really well for this..... I haven't used it myself, but I've seen builds with it used and it looks pretty much like that.

Ditto, and it will work for vinyl roofs also. 

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Rustoleum makes a textured spray paint that would work really well for this..... I haven't used it myself, but I've seen builds with it used and it looks pretty much like that.

14 minutes ago, espo said:

Ditto, and it will work for vinyl roofs also. 

Thanks, I’ll try that.

.....and thanks to the other responders, as well.

If you check out Mark Jones' LHD Gulf build thread, he does excellent job simulating fiberglass.  As others have mentioned, using fabric softener dryer sheet (used I'm sure).  But I'm not sure if that large-scale trick will look realistic in smaller scale. Here are couple of related posts (but I recommend looking over the entire thread).

8 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I have yet to do any "raw" or rough fiberglass on  model.  I have a future project where I will likely do that and had been considering using 3M Micropore tape and painting over it to get close to the look.

image.png.98e9a72c2ffd14899cec2bf00bb83a2a.png

I'm not familiar with this tape, but the finish in the picture looks like the chopped glass strands seen in 1:1 projects with a light coat of the resin sprayed over it.  Where would you suggest purchasing some of this tape ? 

12 hours ago, peteski said:

If you check out Mark Jones' LHD Gulf build thread, he does excellent job simulating fiberglass.  As others have mentioned, using fabric softener dryer sheet (used I'm sure).  But I'm not sure if that large-scale trick will look realistic in smaller scale. Here are couple of related posts (but I recommend looking over the entire thread).

Wow!  That is amazing.  Do you happen to know what scale that is?  

I have a few methods to experiment with, now.

I have used that wonderful toilet paper you find in places like WalMart or other public facilities.  Most of it is single ply, however if you can find some of the 2-ply and separate it that is even better.  Here are pictures of a '65 GTO AWB I have been working on for several years.  I used spray glue, then painted over it.  I got the paint a bit thick, used a can of Duplicolor sandable; an airbrush would have brought out the texture better.  This also works well for headliners.

Jail Break 012.JPG

Jail Break 013.JPG

Edited by TarheelRick

2 hours ago, espo said:

I'm not familiar with this tape, but the finish in the picture looks like the chopped glass strands seen in 1:1 projects with a light coat of the resin sprayed over it.  Where would you suggest purchasing some of this tape ? 

Its for bandaging/surgical dressings.   A "paper" tape.  Amazon, Walmart carry it.  Perhaps only online.  There are other brands that have a more regular pattern that I have used for street (not racing) seat belt material.

7 hours ago, b_erwin said:

Wow!  That is amazing.  Do you happen to know what scale that is?  

I have a few methods to experiment with, now.

I'm pretty sure it is 1:12 scale.

I do like the surgical tape ideal.  It has that non-woven fabric look to it (like a dryer sheet), but the fibers are packed more densely (closer to scale for 1:25).

9 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Its for bandaging/surgical dressings.   A "paper" tape.  Amazon, Walmart carry it.  Perhaps only online.  There are other brands that have a more regular pattern that I have used for street (not racing) seat belt material.

Thank you , I'll have to check it out. 

I think I settled on my first attempted method.  Here’s the test result:

I cut a piece of styrene sheet ant glued a swatch of used dryer sheet to it with Elmer's glue.  Then sprayed it with gloss black.  I think it will work beautifully!

D3C9F7E2-EEFC-46D4-8747-20B4C897FDA2.jpeg

DEEF877C-F586-4454-8D12-E8763578BAD9.jpeg

1 hour ago, b_erwin said:

Test piece mocked up to the under side of the body:

You are certainly in the "neighborhood".  To my eye, based only on this photo, it does looks out of scale compared to the 1:1 photo originally posted.  Unless you are going to apply another coat of color to reduce the texture.

Most Manx's I have seen have a grainy texture as displayed above and like this pic

MANX_4_FOR_SALE_JUNE_9_014.159180642_std.JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder

37 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

You are certainly in the "neighborhood".  To my eye, based only on this photo, it does looks out of scale compared to the 1:1 photo originally posted.  Unless you are going to apply another coat of color to reduce the texture.

Most Manx's I have seen have a grainy texture 

Yeah, another coat may help, but if you look at the photo of the buggy I am replicating (the original 1:1 photo I posted), my buddy's car has a more pronounced weave than the one you posted.  I will take your advice into consideration when I apply the dryer sheet to the body.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Most Manx's I have seen have a grainy texture as displayed above and like this pic

MANX_4_FOR_SALE_JUNE_9_014.159180642_std.JPG

I wonder if, for a texture more like the one in this pic, a good technique would be to stipple some relatively thickly applied paint with a brush - maybe use the bristles of the brush to help give some of those lines and strands that you see there

My two cents, late to the party..... I use craft acrylic paint, with tile grout mixed in, to simulate rubber and vinyl.  For getting the strands, I would try a stiffer brush, when the paint is about half set up.  That way you will conform to the body shape, instead of sticking on panels with seams showing.

IMG_1413_Fotor.jpg