Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiber glass texture?

22 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

My two cents, late to the party..... I use craft acrylic paint, with tile grout mixed in, to simulate rubber and vinyl.  For getting the strands, I would try a stiffer brush, when the paint is about half set up.  That way you will conform to the body shape, instead of sticking on panels with seams showing.

IMG_1413_Fotor.jpg

That looks really good Kurt!  What does the grout do?  Thicken it up?

17 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That looks really good Kurt!  What does the grout do?  Thicken it up?

Yes, since the paint is water-based, the cement hardens up and peaks up with the brush stippling, and when dry it's really hard.   I have a 1,000 year supply of tile grout, you could use any cement.  Or I could sell you a dime bag. ?

• 1 month later...

Just an update:  I ended up using Rustoleum Textured paint , and since I couldn't find it in black, I sprayed over it with a Testors Gloss Black.  I think the result is closer to scale than the drier sheet would have been, and it was easier to apply than trying to get the dryer to conform to the irregular shapes:

2020-03-27_20-17-07.jpg

2020-03-27_20-54-53.jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 7:28 AM, TarheelRick said:

I have used that wonderful toilet paper you find in places like WalMart or other public facilities.  Most of it is single ply, however if you can find some of the 2-ply and separate it that is even better.  Here are pictures of a '65 GTO AWB I have been working on for several years.  I used spray glue, then painted over it.  I got the paint a bit thick, used a can of Duplicolor sandable; an airbrush would have brought out the texture better.  This also works well for headliners.

Jail Break 012.JPG

Jail Break 013.JPG

Bingo! Don Emmons in Rod & Custom, Model Car & Science and Car Model Magazines all recommended using TP for replicating the undersides of Fiberglass Hoods and Funny Car bodies.  I've used both rough textured tissue paper and single plies of toilet paper to get it to work.  

While the first coat of paint is still wet, gently burnish in the tissue / toilet paper (you can either spray or lightly coat with brush enamel works best due to it's longer flash off times).  You may need to brush what soaks through the paper so it isn't excessively thick.  Let that dry.  Next apply the topcoat, which in your case would be glossy black, apply one thin coat allow to dry fully, it may need one or more thin coats to get the look.  The paint raiser the paper's fibers where it looks similar to chopper gun applied fiberglass.  Make sure you practice on a scrap body or piece of plastic before you try it on your finished work.

I've never tried this method, yet.  It's essentially the same as above you might get this to work with Future floor polish as the "resin" or "paint" in the above method lightly saturate the tissue then topcoat with a glossy acrylic paint such as Vallejo's Glossy Black.  Might add a bit more control to the method.