Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford 'Mordor' sedan street rod

Rocking Rodney Rat

I finally finished this one up,  kind of a long road with a few setbacks and screwups on my part. The body is a resin item from Ed Fluck at Drag City casting. The master was skillfully put together by our very own (and a friend of mine) A. Dennis Lacy. The concept is a fairly modern street rod with the ubiquitous SBC (from the Revell '30 Model A kit) with an auto tranny, smooth hood sides, a filled roof, smooth running boards with bobbed rear fenders (compliments of Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland). '40 dash from the Revell 5ive window coupe, seats from the Speedwagon, most of the parts are straight out of the Revell '32 series of kits. Wheels are from the Revell '32 sedan and tires are from Modelhaus.  Paint is decanted Testors One Hit Graphite Dust shot through an airbrush (my first attempt at using the device I bought about five years ago, I'm learning!!?!?!?). Clear overcoat is Minwax Polyurethane airbrushed on. It makes for a fairly smooth finish if one can keep the bugs out of it and refrain from dropping the body on the floor..... -RRR

ff34334f4.jpg

93y54h0h.jpg

3435t5t53.jpg

dbsdgbgbgb.jpg

98u98598t0.jpg

f f sg dg.jpg

nfnet24.jpg

RRR has overcome all the setbacks every builder suffers from to bring us another flawless Deuce!  If I were to share with you some of the minor road blocks RRR was up against completing his Drag City Casting Mordor Sedan mastered by our own Dennis Lacy, you too would be astonished.  When RRR & I first saw ADL's Mordor coming together, we all wanted to see how it would finally look assembled...

V__A42A.jpg.3037ba798fdf10da2bcfba32a4cfc17f.jpg

ADL had a vision and carried it off well beyond our expectations!

918616546_ADLsMordorSedanRS.jpg.5c2709fce556157d45111bd1944447ea.jpg

337538558_ADLsMordorSedanLS.jpg.d4e543213539355a460797d31faccd5d.jpg

And, then RRR added his touches to it!  But not after a few minor mishaps... 

V__659B(1).jpg.663748610507e89e89a5e3403381f1b5.jpg

RRR's paint job was interrupted by a fall from grace and had to be stripped and repainted! OUCH!!

V__E0EA.jpg.e3ab71b094b84f87cbb42a2f4c23f857.jpg

Still wet from the bath in the stripper pond!

255612746_Couldntresistaquickmockup.jpg.16c94e776300f296440354056171f74a.jpg

Then back on the bench for final reconstruction!  Don't say anything to our Rockin' Rodney, but final assembly is NOT his favorite aspect in modeling building!  His tenacity has always been that one asset that has always encouraged me through the three plus decades we've been watching each other create our model cars and trucks!  Keep on keepin' on, Brother! -KK 

Edited by Kit Karson

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Very nice result. Classy looking, and the detailing is great. 

About your Minwax clear: how many coats would you say you used? Medium or heavy? Via your air-brush, or is-it a spray-can? Just curious...

CT

Claude: This is what I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINWAX-QUART-CLEAR-GLOSS-OIL-BASED-FAST-DRY-POLYURETHANE-8995789/402003791161?epid=19016387928&hash=item5d994b0d39:g:rAEAAOSwhkRWgux7 it came recommended by one of the guys in our local club. It's the first time I have used it, but I will use it on all shiny paint jobs going forward. I shot it through my airbrush, no thinning needed. A quart will probably go bad before you can use it all up. Application recommendations are one light coat and one (sorta) heavy. I shot two coats with about ten minutes in between. It's "self leveling" which I think is a euphemism for "it runs"...I attached the body to a bent up coat hanger (sometimes more successfully than others, see above) and then I move the part having been clear coated all around, so any potential runs are smoothed out and prevented. This gives a really nice shine even without buffing and polishing (which I never do). It seems to dry to a very hard surface. -RRR

6 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Claude: This is what I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MINWAX-QUART-CLEAR-GLOSS-OIL-BASED-FAST-DRY-POLYURETHANE-8995789/402003791161?epid=19016387928&hash=item5d994b0d39:g:rAEAAOSwhkRWgux7 it came recommended by one of the guys in our local club. It's the first time I have used it, but I will use it on all shiny paint jobs going forward. I shot it through my airbrush, no thinning needed. A quart will probably go bad before you can use it all up. Application recommendations are one light coat and one (sorta) heavy. I shot two coats with about ten minutes in between. It's "self leveling" which I think is a euphemism for "it runs"...I attached the body to a bent up coat hanger (sometimes more successfully than others, see above) and then I move the part having been clear coated all around, so any potential runs are smoothed out and prevented. This gives a really nice shine even without buffing and polishing (which I never do). It seems to dry to a very hard surface. -RRR

Hi!

Thank you for the clear infos. Much appreciated!

Since you say this particular car was NOT polished, I can see the "natural" gloss of this clear is very good. It reminds me of what you get from House of Kolor Show Clear, a 2-part catalized urethane you may be familiar with. It flows superbly, but once dried hard, is difficult to polish on a styrene car body without causing some damage to the body. That is why I might try your Minwax. 

I wondered about the type and number of coats you apllied, since I could see a smidge of "peel" in the reflexion on the passenger side running borad. This usually happen when you obtain very high gloss at application from heavy wet coats. Super nice then... but once evaporated and dried, the clear then gets a fair share of orange peel.

Nothing a good rubbing won't dispose of, but some work nonetheless!

Regards,

CT 

Really well done and not what I expected from the Subject - Mordor is for me where Sauron dwelt and the Ring was finally consumed in fire...

From Lord of the Rings:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Just slightly off-topic. Mind you, it's not a bad ride for a Dark Lord...

He'd not fear to put a Chevy engine in a Ford!

Edited by DonW

Wow, a really stunning build and you have achieved a beautiful balance. For someone who fears final assembly (apparently!) you have done a superb job of getting that undercarriage looking clean and symmetrical.  

I think the high gloss clear is a great idea because I always find that no matter how careful I am polishing vintage bodies, I always seem to get a rub through.  The multiple window mouldings and body swage lines just about guarantee it! 
This is a credit to you, and Dennis for his fine mastering.

Cheers

Alan