Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Plymouth Hemi Satellite

mrmike

My new project is the '65 Hemi Satellite.  This is a phantom car as I have never heard or seen one that was ever made.  But, you never know.  I am using the Moebius 1965 Plymouth Satellite kit #1215.  I will be using the Pegasus 19" Hellas and 23" Hollis wheels and tires and the model will be painted with Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue with a two-tone blue interior.  I converted the kit 426 CI Wedge engine into a Hemi engine with some pieces from my parts box and it will be wired.  This Satellite will look similar to the '64 Plymouth Belvedere that I built several years ago that was based on the '64 Fury that was built on TV's Overhaulin'.

More Satellite to come...

Satellite01.JPG

Satellite002.JPG

Satellite03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I have been doing some painting on the Satellite.  I painted the Hemi engine with Mopar Street Hemi Orange engine paint.  The Hemi valve covers got a coat of Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss Black.  The body, hood and dog house got a coat of Tamiya White Fine Surface primer.

Satellite04.JPG

Satellite05.JPG

Satellite06.JPG

I've been painting today and I'm not done yet!  There are a lot of parts to this kit.  I still have to add the dark blue paint to the seat inserts, detail paint the dash, semi gloss the gloss parts since I ran out of Tamiya Semi Gloss Black paint and add embossing powder to the interior floor and paint that with Dupli-Color Light Metallic Blue.  Oh, and assemble the darn thing!  I still have a ways to go...  

Satellite07.JPG

Satellite08.JPG

Satellite09.JPG

Some more work has been done on the Hemi Satellite.  The dash has been assembled and detailed.  I installed the exhaust system on the chassis, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself since I want to add embossing powder to the other side of the chassis pan.  I wired the 426 Hemi for my '68 Charger R/T, but will have to wait a bit for the glue to set up on the Satellite 426 Hemi before I run the wires to the cylinders.  I figured why not do both at once until the distributor cap on the Satellite 426 Hemi decided to come loose.

Satellite10.JPG

Satellite11.JPG

Satellite12.JPG

I have been putting off painting the '65 Satellite.  Probably due to fear of messing it up...badly!  I went and painted the body and hood with Tamiya TS-50 Mica Blue and it looks really good.  Very, very little trash in the paint...which is a good thing!  I went and painted the interior floor of the chassis pan.  With paint over the embossing powder, this looks pretty good.

Satellite13.JPG

Satellite14.JPG

Satellite15.JPG

The chassis and interior are done with the exception of a couple of small items.  I mocked up the chassis with the engine bay and the wheels and tires.  I will need to modify the exhaust system to fit the headers.

Satellite16.JPG

Satellite17.JPG

Satellite18.JPG

I started adding the wheels and tires to the chassis by modifying the suspension.  Then the dog house started giving me problems by coming apart.  I modified the head pipes for the exhaust system mounted to the headers.  Now I need to figure out where to mount the spindles for the front suspension.

Satellite19.JPG

Satellite20.JPG

Satellite21.JPG

I reglued the dog house together after cleaning up the glue joints again and I let the dog house set up completely overnight.  This afternoon, I superglued the brake backing plates to the front wheels and glued them to the uprights without any spindles.  The stance looks okay, but I would like it lower.  At any rate, the front end is on and I'm fairly happy with the result.  And, for the first time since I painted the body, I got a shot of the model with the hood on.  The decals on the air cleaner needed some touchups and when I added some clearcoat, the ink ran.  The air cleaner has been stripped and repainted and drying in the paintbooth.  

More Hemi Satellite to come...

Satellite22.JPG

Satellite24.JPG

Satellite23.JPG

I had painted the air cleaner top with Model Master Hugger Orange and then I added 3 coats of Model Master Ultra Gloss clearcoat.  The air cleaner base was repainted with Model Master Flat Black and will get a coat of Model Master Semi Gloss Clear.

Satellite25.JPG

Satellite26.JPG

Satellite27.JPG

I foiled the Satellite yesterday.  This is not one of my better jobs as this foil must be getting old and losing it's adhesive.  I have Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive that I used for the second time, but I had breaks and small spaces that needed to be covered.  I used my Molotow Liquid Chrome Pen to cover the spots.

Satellite28.JPG

Satellite29.JPG

Satellite30.JPG

20 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

This looks really good. Working on my own old Mopar. A 64 belvedere

Thanks Kenneth!  I built a '64 Belvedere as well.  Mine is based on the '64 Fury rebuilt on TVs Overhaulin'.

Belv02.JPG