Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tires-1/24 or 1/25?

DoctorLarry

In looking at some pictures of older NASCAR cars, it looks like the tires are pretty large relative to the wheel openings. When I put the chassis under my Buick Century project, they look small relative to the 1-1 car. Do people prefer 1/24 or 1/25 tires? the 1/24 are larger and appear to be closer to the real thing. The tires in this picture look way larger to me than those in the model kits.

thirkettle 51 2.jpg

NASCAR spec, from what I read is a 28/10-15 tire. So in scale it should (roughly) be about 28 mm in diameter by 10 mm wide so I guess I will check when I get home (that is 1/25 scale 1 inch = 25.4 mm). I guess in 1/24 it would be a little larger (1.167 vs 1.12 inch), which is about 29.6 mm.

I measured a set of T bird 1/25 tires. Height is about 26 mm, which would be two scale inches shorter than NASCAR spec. Width is about 14 mm, which would be (to Tim's point) 4 scale inches wider than spec. So shorter and wider appears to be the order of the day on 1/25. a 1/24 tire is actually pretty spot on. 28 mm tall and 12 mm wide. Still too wide but closer to scale spec height.

I know if you try to use the ppp goodyear 50's truck tire with 6 lug wheel on a 1/25 scale 57 chevy they look way way too big compared to reference pictures of black widows that ran nascar in 1957.  That's why I thought ppp wheels  and tires were 1/24 scale.  However if you use ppp  60's goodyear or firestone tires with ppp holman and moody wheels they look just fine on 1/25 scale  mid 60's Fords, Chevys, Pontiacs, Plymouths or Dodges.  JMHO.

What I want to know if anyone puts larger tires on the right side of the car than on the left side like today's stock cars??? Now they would be the ultimate modeler!!! See specs below for this weekends race at Las Vegas. Of course on road courses they run the same size tires.

Tire Codes:
Left-side — D-4842;
Right-side — D-4796

Tire Circumference:
Left-side — 2,224 mm (87.56 in.);
Right-side — 2,252 mm (88.66 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 19 psi; Left Rear — 19 psi;
Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 48 psi