Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corona Virus (Covid 19) and Model Kits

It’s also Important to remember that Chinese people are suffering and dying from the outbreak. Their economy is also suffering, and often times, reduced production and income contribute to further misery.
I hope they can contain the virus and get back to business, not so I can have a new model, but so the humans there can continue with life. 

5 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

It’s also Important to remember that Chinese people are suffering and dying from the outbreak. Their economy is also suffering, and often times, reduced production and income contribute to further misery.
I hope they can contain the virus and get back to business, not so I can have a new model, but so the humans there can continue with life. 

Very good point! We all like to come here to relax and forget about serious stuff, but this is a great statement in my opinion. Well said Erik.

Rudy's. That looks like the kind of hobby shop that many of us "old timers" remember from our youth. The kind of shop that you could spend an hour or two looking at kits and visiting with fellow modelers who are there for the same reason you are. It's nice to see that a yew of those kinds of shops still exist.

The Revell Chevy Luv has a little “ Molded in USA “ on the box on Modelroundups website 

I thought all revell production was shipped to Poland and China now , is this because of the virus or was this planned before ?

Edited by Cliff Dagger
Spelling

4 hours ago, Cliff Dagger said:

The Revell Chevy Luv has a little “ Molded in USA “ on the box on Modelroundups website 

I thought all revell production was shipped to Poland and China now , is this because of the virus or was this planned before ?

Revell AG (Germany) has been molding plastic parts in Poland for some years now (unrelated to the latest epidemic).  Now that the American Revell is also under the German umbrella I suspect that those kits might also be molded in Poland.

The only Revell kits being made in Poland are the RevellAG kits that belong to that company. The Revell US based China tooling is still in China, none of it was moved to Europe. 

Conversely there was some tooling that was "never going to be used", that Revell left in the U.S. in the 90s. We've now seen several of those kits reissued- all run out of a facility in Chicago Heights ('80 Ramcharger, 1st Gen RX-7, Chevy LUV, etc). Contrary to unsubstantiated rumor mongering Blitz management didn't sell ALL the U.S. based tooling to Atlantis, a good chunk was moved into the care of the Chicago Heights facility and they sold the odd scale, no scale, and other things (like the 80s/90s NASCAR tooling Atlantis sold to Salvinos JR) they felt there was no place for going forward.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:59 PM, von Zipper said:

Do you think shows like The Walking Dead are for entertainment purposes only ? Those are more educational programs for the near future 

Rule #1 in Zombieland~ Cardio....the fatties go first

I just lost a mouth full of coffee LOL, I almost always watch that If I see it channel surfing

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, SfanGoch said:

Well, I can always go to Rudy's Hobby Supplies, in the Astoria section of Queens, N.Y., which is the modeling equivalent of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, to snag kits.

Excellent idea, a modeling vault so that those of us that survive, can still get our modeling fix,... after Armageddon.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

With the constant COVID-19 coverage by the news media, I was hoping to escape it here, and now we have at least 3 threads going here about it.  :(

That is contagious as well, the spread of threads about corona-virus................?