Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now, THIS is a Car!!!!!

16 hours ago, wku88 said:

Sir Jack Brabham says hello.  ;)

Great driver, great developer and setter-up of cars, only man to win a championship in his own car... but engineering innovator? He’s more of a Mark Donohue type than a Colin Chapman, IMHO. I might have missed off Harvey Postlethwaite, though, I’ll admit...

best,

M.

Looks like the last pic was taken in the Panther Car Co's parking lot. The twin steer car was built back in the 70's I think. In the background you can see a Panther SeVille Parker up with loose BugattiStyling. One of these featured as Cruella DVille"s car in 101Dalmations with Glenn Close playing the part. The little 2 seater sports cars parked further beyond are Panther Limas

In that era, a lot of differant manufactures tried multi wheel setups.  The P34 was the only one to compete for two seasons and actually be competitive.  Ferrari even tried an 8 wheel version.  You really have to give them prop's for being open to radical ideas. Having seen the real deal in Tamiya's HQ I was stunned by the small size of the front tires.  They were not much larger than a standard go kart tire. I can't imagine the forces on those little bitty tires spinning at 200 mph.  It took some superb engineering to just hold them together much less make them work!

Image result for ferrari 6 wheel f1

Image result for 6 wheel f1 cars at goodwood

Oh, and being a fan of the P34 I tried my hand at a custom Acura.  

6 wheel nsx 2.jpg

You are absolutely right Don.    Failed to check my spellings before logging off.......Seville should read DeVille.and Parker should read parked.

Also as you pointed out, the background cars look like Limas  and something else now that I am looking at a large PC screen and not my small tablet. The red car behind the silver and black Lima looks more like a Jaguar SS replica but cannot be sure.

So I humbly stand corrected on both counts.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Hi Noel

Veering a bit off topic - now you point it out, I agree about the SS100 lookalike. As you probably know, Panther did such a car, the J72 with the trusty XK engine. Probably their best offering, to my mind.

All the best,

-Don.

Don, I forgot to mention that I live near Bedford in the UK. There was a company named Wolfrace Wheels that had a unit on one of the trading estates there who sold all sorts of custom goodies besides wheels.

The twin steer Panther was on display there for some time and I saw it a couple of times whilst it was on display there. It would be interesting to know where the car is now.

Hi Noel

What did you make of the Panther when you saw it for real? I must admit to rather liking it but have never seen it in the flesh.

Poor old John Woolfe, there's a man who lived and died the dream...

Cheers,

-Don.