Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020 Kits !

Mr mopar

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

About the speculation of a 1/25th scale '69 Super Bee, I seriously doubt it. if so they would releases a '68 first, then a '69 or '70 R/T.

So misprint and a rushed PR (vinyl top?) photo by maybe the German office.

Most likely...BUUUUUUT

The '68 & '69 Coronet are the most demanded things EVAR if you listen to some people, and it's not like either of the MPC annual versions are ever going to be made again. Also what's the rush exactly? It's not like Revell's U.S. division is on any tight schedule, they've released a grand total of 3 models, one of which was a AG rebox, in 2020 (not considering running existing kits to restock distributors) with three more known ones in the pipeline. They managed to find the S-10 inserts (they haven't been run since 1999) in time to have the kit built up for promotional photos...the Monogram Super Bee was last run in 2009, and if nothing else they could have just used the old box art photo from it as a place holder.

Edited by niteowl7710

52 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Most likely...BUUUUUUT

The '68 & '69 Coronet are the most demanded things EVAR if you listen to some people, and it's not like either of the MPC annual versions are ever going to be made again. Also what's the rush exactly? It's not like Revell's U.S. division is on any tight schedule, they've released a grand total of 3 models, one of which was a AG rebox, in 2020 (not considering running existing kits to restock distributors) with three more known ones in the pipeline. They managed to find the S-10 inserts (they haven't been run since 1999) in time to have the kit built up for promotional photos...the Monogram Super Bee was last run in 2009, and if nothing else they could have just used the old box art photo from it as a place holder.

I agree with James all this will be is the old Monogram 1/24  1969 1/2 Super bee six pack unless someone on here knows more info then we do  ?

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Why do you doubt we'll see it again? The 29 roadster just hit the market again, so there is still a reasonable expectation of seeing the 30 coupe.

Hopefully the '30A Coupe will resurface early next year.  The Revell team fully understands that this version of the tool will handily outsell the other version if it gets to the market.  I think (hope) it is just a matter of time now until we see it (again).   TB 

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Hopefully the '30A Coupe will resurface early next year.  The Revell team fully understands that this version of the tool will handily outsell the other version if it gets to the market.  I think (hope) it is just a matter of time now until we see it (again).   TB 

1 hour ago, Vince Nemanic said:

At the NNL Western Nationals, Ed Sexton told me that the coupe will have the Buick engine when it returns. 

If they're still working on retooling the '30 coupe components, replacing the Deuce-style roof insert with a stock style fabric roof would make it worth the wait, IMHO (just saying...)

Almost a sure thing that they'll just recreate the original tooling using the existing CAD files.  Still seems like a dopey decision to design it with that Deuce roof insert when 99.9% of 1:1 Model A rods DON'T have that.

It'll still sell like hotcakes, regardless.

Edited by Robberbaron

1 hour ago, Vince Nemanic said:

At the NNL Western Nationals, Ed Sexton told me that the coupe will have the Buick engine when it returns. 

This irritates me. I was never able to find a '30 coupe, but I did buy three '29 roadsters before they went extinct. 

Now if I buy the coupe I'll get ANOTHER Buick engine, which I really don't need, and if I want the nice Chevy engine, I have to buy ANOTHER roadster, which I also don't need. :angry:

8 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Why do you doubt we'll see it again? The 29 roadster just hit the market again, so there is still a reasonable expectation of seeing the 30 coupe.

We have had 2 reissues of the 29 and seems like forever since the 30 was lost and we still don’t have 30. Last year it was this year and now next year again...

23 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I'll speculate. :)

I have been stumping for years for Revell to use the 1/10 master for their '69 Super Bee (if it still exists) to work up a '68 Coronet Super Bee or R/T in 1/25 (much like the way they used the 1/10 master or existing engineering for their 1/24 '70 Mustang Boss 429 to work up the 1/25 '69 Shelby and '69 Mustang Cobra Jet kits way back when).

Since the sale, my hopes for that move have just about died.

Unfortunately, I think it's just a picture of the car because they don't have a built example to photograph yet, and it's essentially going to be the 1/24 kit. Maybe they have tooled up a new standard hood and some other bits, though?   

Still- if they manage to come up with a 1/25 '68 Coronet out of that '69 kit, that would be boss.

I guess I'm not the only person wanting an all new kit of the 68 Coronet R/T.  It's about time for them to do one.  The 67 and 69 Coronets are available. The 68 is the missing link.  As for that Hobby Search pic with the blue 69 Superbee wit vinyl top;  I just think it's only a reference to show a 69 Superbee that's available in kit form.  It was mentioned that someone saw it listed as a 1/25 scale kit, which is interesting.  I could not find where it states 1/25 scale.  Could it be a misprint and Revell meant that it's a 1/24 scale kit?  Maybe yes , maybe know.  If Revell did decide to to go ahead and retool the 69 Coronet in 1/25 scale that would be great news.  I prefer the 1/25 scale kits over the 1/24 scale kits. To add to what CapSat said;  to go a step further;  the pic shows a 69 Coronet Superbee, but what if that's not even the kit that will be coming out , but instead a 68 Coronet Superbee.  Mistakes like that have been made by model kit companies. But, who knows but the model company's product developement people.  If we want to see a 68 Coronet R/T or Superbee come out we all need to contact the kit companies and tell them.  It's been stated in previous threads that the model kit companies are aware of this, but we still need to voice our requests.

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

This irritates me. I was never able to find a '30 coupe, but I did buy three '29 roadsters before they went extinct. 

Now if I buy the coupe I'll get ANOTHER Buick engine, which I really don't need, and if I want the nice Chevy engine, I have to buy ANOTHER roadster, which I also don't need. :angry:

I doubt you'll have trouble trading away your Nailhead for the SBC. In fact, look me up when (not if) the 30 Coupe hits the market again. I have a couple of the SBC's I'd gladly trade for your Nailhead

10 hours ago, slusher said:

We have had 2 reissues of the 29 and seems like forever since the 30 was lost and we still don’t have 30. Last year it was this year and now next year again...

Still not sure why there's no hope of the 30 coming back. The simple fact the the 29 has hit the market again, as promised by Revell, gives hope that the 30 is still coming.

Yes, it's taking time. But there has also been a bankruptcy and a global pandemic thrown into the mix since the 30 tool went offline. I choose to remain hopeful, and the 29 roadster returning to market as Revell said it would only gives me more hope.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

I guess I'm not the only person wanting an all new kit of the 68 Coronet R/T.  It's about time for them to do one.  The 67 and 69 Coronets are available. The 68 is the missing link.  As for that Hobby Search pic with the blue 69 Superbee wit vinyl top;  I just think it's only a reference to show a 69 Superbee that's available in kit form.  It was mentioned that someone saw it listed as a 1/25 scale kit, which is interesting.  I could not find where it states 1/25 scale.  Could it be a misprint and Revell meant that it's a 1/24 scale kit?  Maybe yes , maybe know.  If Revell did decide to to go ahead and retool the 69 Coronet in 1/25 scale that would be great news.  I prefer the 1/25 scale kits over the 1/24 scale kits. To add to what CapSat said;  to go a step further;  the pic shows a 69 Coronet Superbee, but what if that's not even the kit that will be coming out , but instead a 68 Coronet Superbee.  Mistakes like that have been made by model kit companies. But, who knows but the model company's product developement people.  If we want to see a 68 Coronet R/T or Superbee come out we all need to contact the kit companies and tell them.  It's been stated in previous threads that the model kit companies are aware of this, but we still need to voice our requests.

To be clear, I think we're just getting the same old 1/24 '69 Super Bee. That's still a pretty nice kit IMHO...

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Yes, it's taking time. But there has also been a bankruptcy and a global pandemic thrown into the mix since the 30 tool went offline.

Pandemic-schmandemic. That's more cop out than valid reason. It has nothing to do with why the '30 coupe hasn't been reissued.  Car modelers are the red-headed step children of the larger hobby kit family. They've been conditioned to have lower expectations, go into a frenzy at the mere mention of a sixty year old kit possibly being reissued for the 53rd time at some undetermined date and are giddy when one, maybe two at most, kits are announced. The pandemic hasn't slowed down the production of aircraft, armor, sci-fi or other genres of model kits. Those manufacturers are cranking out kits faster than one can keep track. Please note that most, if not all, of those kits are produced in China.

45 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Despite some minor issues it aged really well.

Luc- you're right, and this is not the first time that you are right on my mental wavelength. ;)

Man, I have been meaning to do a really nice factory style '69 Super Bee build. 383 4 barrel (I'll use the engine from the Monogram '71 Satellite), vinyl top, standard hood (available in resin from Hart's Parts), full wheel covers (either the ones from the '68 Dart kit, which seem to scale out better to a 14" cover in 1/24, or the ones from Fireball Modelworks), white walls, and a more obscure or plain color combo. Now might be the time. I have been looking for a simpler project to get me kickstarted back into some building. I just so happen to have all of these ingredients.

1 minute ago, Mr mopar said:

The lack of detail on the inner fenders (engine bay) area what make these not too appealing ,not like Amt Mopar's that have separate inner fenders and firewall ect.......

I think heater hoses and a few other bits would make that better. Add a power steering pump, fill the engine room up a little. Maybe a darker color, too.

For the '69 Coronet Super Bee kit, I gotta say, the body shape is pretty good, the details are pretty decent, and the grille is MUCH better than the original MPC kit. I think I have to get down to business on one of these.

The only real gripe I have with this kit is the wheels. The Magnums are too big for a 14" wheel in 1/24, and the Six Pack package would have gotten heavy duty steel wheels anyway. When they did this kit back around 1982, to prototype it, they probably found a really nice car that somebody decided to run Magnums on to dress it up (which would have been plausible back then- this was before steel wheels became cool).

Still- I think this was one of Monogram's best efforts with their initial wave of 1/24 Muscle Cars, and we're very lucky they started doing these kits in the first place.

I did manage to cram the Hemi from their '71 Hemi Cuda kit into one of these back in the day.    

Fireball Modelworks to the rescue again- they do a really nice stock wheel and tire set for this one.   

5 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

For the '69 Coronet Super Bee kit, I gotta say, the body shape is pretty good, the details are pretty decent, and the grille is MUCH better than the original MPC kit. I think I have to get down to business on one of these.

Thought I had a better image of my Monogram '69 SuperBee Six Pack in 1969 1/2  code F6 Spring Green Metallic, but all I have posted in my Fotki site is this comparo photo which was an unused outtake from my Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits book a couple of years ago.  Anyway, FWIW I completely agree with Bill's above comments about the Monogram  '69 Super Bee.....TIM

DSC 0330