Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 C10 shortbed

1 hour ago, plasticfrog said:

Thank you..No I used inner fenders from amt 84 gmc kit and revell 65 chevy pickup chassis. Real amt 69 grill from long bed kit not resin.

Ah, I see. 

But I think you'll find that the grille is MPC, not AMT. I can tell because it's correct. The AMT '69 and '70 grilles are missing the outermost trim, which that grille has. 

Hope it's OK to post this pic, I normally wouldn't put a pic of one of mine in someone else's post but it shows what the AMT grille looks like ,, missing the outer trim,  Mine just doesn't look right right. Plus the AMT bumper is attached to the grille, I cut them apart on mine.

I wish I had known the difference when I built this truck.

steve's pics 386

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 6:35 PM, Can-Con said:

Ah, I see. 

But I think you'll find that the grille is MPC, not AMT. I can tell because it's correct. The AMT '69 and '70 grilles are missing the outermost trim, which that grille has. 

Hope it's OK to post this pic, I normally wouldn't put a pic of one of mine in someone else's post but it shows what the AMT grille looks like ,, missing the outer trim,  Mine just doesn't look right right. Plus the AMT bumper is attached to the grille, I cut them apart on mine.

I wish I had known the difference when I built this truck.

steve's pics 386

That is a correct Chevrolet grille, but it's for an earlier year. The fenders are '67-'68, Chevrolet.  The fenders won't work on the later trucks, their grille has the trim that goes around the front edge of the fenders. I found out when I was working at the counter in a wrecking yard and we had a guy searching for a pair of the early fenders and sent out one of the yard guys and he said we had a 68 that someone had put a brand new set of fenders on and even gave me the inventory number for it and it was a '68 truck so I had him pull the fenders and we wrapped them and shipped them. A few days later the guy called and said that they were perfect BUT they were for a '72. The guy who we got the truck from had bought a complete front wrap for a '72 because the earlier fenders were hard to find and just as expensive as they were hard. The guy understood and I learned that  I would never again ship anything without looking at it first.?? the fenders for the '69-'72 Chevy are the same, and for '68-'72 GMC.

Edited by horsepower

10 hours ago, horsepower said:

That is a correct Chevrolet grille, but it's for an earlier year. The fenders are '67-'68, Chevrolet.  The fenders won't work on the later trucks, their grille has the trim that goes around the front edge of the fenders. I found out when I was working at the counter in a wrecking yard and we had a guy searching for a pair of the early fenders and sent out one of the yard guys and he said we had a 68 that someone had put a brand new set of fenders on and even gave me the inventory number for it and it was a '68 truck so I had him pull the fenders and we wrapped them and shipped them. A few days later the guy called and said that they were perfect BUT they were for a '72. The guy who we got the truck from had bought a complete front wrap for a '72 because the earlier fenders were hard to find and just as expensive as they were hard. The guy understood and I learned that  I would never again ship anything without looking at it first.?? the fenders for the '69-'72 Chevy are the same, and for '68-'72 GMC.

That's great and too long for me to bother reading again but we're talking about model kits here. 

The difference in the grilles is that the original poster's grille is from an MPC kit and the one in mine is a Modelhaus copy from an AMT promo

If you look at an original AMT '69 or '70 promo you will see they fit poorly  and are missing the outer trim strip also. 

I'm sure you are 100% correct about the real trucks but these are not all that accurate to have that difference. 

BTW, that truck was made from an AMT '72 GMC stepside kit.  The exact same cab that's been in the last few issues of the '72 Chevy longbox.