Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘64 Chrysler Imperial

BeakDoc

Bagged this built but incomplete AMT kit on tha ‘bay for a nice price. It had nary a speck of paint on it and to my surprise it wasn’t a glue bomb. I had it apart in a matter of minutes and didn’t even crack the glass. As the stock wheels were missing, I stripped the chrome from a set of Aoshima wheels and painted them to match the body (I like the monochromatic look for whatever reason) and upgraded her to disc brakes on all four corners. I had to scratch build the convertible boot tonneau cover. I had to touch up the chrome on both bumpers with a combination of BMF and Molotow. The color is Tamiya AS-8 USN Navy blue with Tamiya pearl clear and 3 coats of Model Masters ultra gloss. The OB built it with the Cross Ram intake so I swapped that out for the intake/carb/air cleaner from a Lindberg Dodge 330 kit, then added some plumbing, wiring and brackets for the alternator, et al. 
Comments, questions, tips and pointers are always welcome and thank you for looking.

2A14E08F-27D1-44F3-9E5E-E4F578078A16.jpeg

E3D40E0B-3A2C-445F-A0EB-AEB6CC72E8D8.jpeg

603273B3-1F72-4707-B580-183A3C833176.jpeg

60784BC0-6419-4B95-A874-71244DF11895.jpeg

1B33267B-F38C-4A6C-9B8C-68E5349BB37B.jpeg

B2A265E2-D2B5-4850-A474-B48C94C31654.jpeg

71B92D3D-E11F-4E2A-BE01-5A6451EA8028.jpeg

59EEE70E-A573-4736-881A-8C3AB4DFC48F.jpeg

2CAAD2D2-DE3C-4906-88A0-6F1515654081.jpeg

Very sleek looking convertible. I like the unusual color, with the wheels done this way also it really makes it look very modern. The top cover looks like one of those fiberglass parade covers they used to have for high end convertibles. 

Wow, I didn't event know there was a kit of a '64 Imperial. Friend has a few of these in 1:1 scale, they are pretty cool looking cars. Your build turned out great! Cleanly built model overall, especially the chrome trim looks flawless and those Imperial emblems are done really nicely, too. Only thing I don't like is the wheels and tires, in my opinion they just don't fit at all on any classic car. But of course, it's just a personal preference. Very nicely done Imperial overall.:)

4 hours ago, W-409 said:

Wow, I didn't event know there was a kit of a '64 Imperial. Friend has a few of these in 1:1 scale, they are pretty cool looking cars. Your build turned out great! Cleanly built model overall, especially the chrome trim looks flawless and those Imperial emblems are done really nicely, too. Only thing I don't like is the wheels and tires, in my opinion they just don't fit at all on any classic car. But of course, it's just a personal preference. Very nicely done Imperial overall.:)

What he said.

10 hours ago, espo said:

The top cover looks like one of those fiberglass parade covers they used to have for high end convertibles. 

Thanks David! That’s exactly what I was shooting for. According to the reference material I dug up those covers came standard on Imperial convertibles in ‘64.

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Not a fan of Imperials. But, I like this! The color and wheels really makes the model! What's the name of the Aoshima wheels? I'd like to have a set of those. 

Thanks Roger! The Aoshima wheels are 19” Amistad Rotino. They are 2 parters. The beauty ring is separate. As you can see, I left it chrome. Really nice wheel/tire set (as are all Aoshima sets that I’ve encountered.) These are “stanced” though so I had to do a little work to “Americanize” them.

Thank you to everyone else who commented as well.