Model Cars Magazine Forum

Operating convertible top in 1:25

I attempted this in the early '00's, but gave up on it as there was no way for me to make it look in scale as far as the top material and getting it to look neat and tidy. IMO, this works MUCH better in larger scales such as 1/12 and up as I have a few of those Danbury Mint cars with working tops and to my eyes look much better in scale than something smaller. I've seen those Chrysler Sebring convertibles with the working top, but those reinforce what my thoughts are about things appearing "in scale".

Here are a few pics of the working frame I did on the '64 GTO.........

DCP_2622-vi.jpg
DCP_2623-vi.jpg
DCP_2624-vi.jpg
DCP_2625-vi.jpg

I still have the model, but the top frame was taken out of it long ago. I'm not even sure where it is as it was packed up along with everything else with the move.

To make the top, I had used a '64 GM assembly manual, which showed the top frame with all the major working hinges and such. I just tried to shrink things down a bit simpler for this scale. In fact, this model was in effect done sans the top, but the material I used for the windows has since warped pretty bad, so it's due perhaps someday for a makeover.

I have no idea when if ever I'd get to it though! ;)

44 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I attempted this in the early '00's, but gave up on it as there was no way for me to make it look in scale as far as the top material and getting it to look neat and tidy. IMO, this works MUCH better in larger scales such as 1/12 and up as I have a few of those Danbury Mint cars with working tops and to my eyes look much better in scale than something smaller. I've seen those Chrysler Sebring convertibles with the working top, but those reinforce what my thoughts are about things appearing "in scale".

If one was ever going to get completed, you would be that person to do that Bill ?

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Probably would be best to use Brass channel for strength and the ability to solder pivot points.

Maybe use umbrella material for the canvas. 

Some years ago Don Holthaus gave me some material that was quite in scale. It was similar to umbrella material, but it was very thinly rubber backed. The problem comes in as to how to attach the material to the brass frame (which I did most of mine in) and then fashioning a rear window. Getting the window to attach to the material would be another challenge on top of that. Again, it HAS to look neat and tidy and then it would need to hold up over time as no doubt the top would be raised up and down quite frequently at a show for instance.

Even the 1/12 scale ones I have mostly have the tops folded and in their wells covered. The 1/12 '57 Chevy convertible I have for example already has wear spots in the top material from exposure. Perhaps it's mostly due to age though.........I've had it since 2005! :P

I remember reading about the convertible top article, but I can't remember if the model was one of the pieces which resides at the Model Car Museum. If you ever wish to read about a modeller overcoming adversity, look up the story of Dave Shuklis and prepare to be amazed.