Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, tiking said:

Why do I get the feeling that, that line was taken from a film. :) Thanks.

Not really. That was the first thing that popped into my head.  But it would make a good movie quote :)

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Heh!  Long ago, I did a tour as a Marine Corps Drill Instructor at MCRD San Diego. The only part of the job that ever really scared me was taking recruits to the pistol range at Camp Pendleton.  With a rifle, even the lightweight M-16, people tend to hold it with both hands.  But with a pistol, everybody thinks he's Jesse James.

Our M1911 Colt .45's were only used for training.  They were old, loose and often jammed. We gave the recruits strict instructions:  if the weapon malfunctions, keep it pointed downrange at all times.  Raise your hand and we will come help you.

Well, they usually didn't do that.  Instead of pointing it downrange, they would swing the .45 so the muzzle was right in my face. Or try to clear the jam themselves, by shoving the barrel into their crotch and vigorously yanking on the slide. 

According to legend, when Camp Pendleton built a new pistol range, the very first round fired went into a recruit's foot.  I had no problem believing that.

And yep, that diorama is awesome.  Very junky and cluttered, just like real life! (That's a compliment.)

I know what you mean. While not quite the same, I run the BB/pellets shooting range at the Boy Scout camp.    :)

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Heh!  Long ago, I did a tour as a Marine Corps Drill Instructor at MCRD San Diego. The only part of the job that ever really scared me was taking recruits to the pistol range at Camp Pendleton.  With a rifle, even the lightweight M-16, people tend to hold it with both hands.  But with a pistol, everybody thinks he's Jesse James.

Our M1911 Colt .45's were only used for training.  They were old, loose and often jammed. We gave the recruits strict instructions:  if the weapon malfunctions, keep it pointed downrange at all times.  Raise your hand and we will come help you.

Well, they usually didn't do that.  Instead of pointing it downrange, they would swing the .45 so the muzzle was right in my face. Or try to clear the jam themselves, by shoving the barrel into their crotch and vigorously yanking on the slide. 

According to legend, when Camp Pendleton built a new pistol range, the very first round fired went into a recruit's foot.  I had no problem believing that.

And yep, that diorama is awesome.  Very junky and cluttered, just like real life! (That's a compliment.)

What a story. Thank you for that nostalgic story. Appreciate your feedback.

2 hours ago, hack-n-whack said:

Very realistic! I had to look twice to be sure those were scale models. Outstanding work.

Thank you kindly.

46 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

Not really. That was the first thing that popped into my head.  But it would make a good movie quote :)

I know what you mean. While not quite the same, I run the BB/pellets shooting range at the Boy Scout camp.    :)

Aahaa! OK. Thank you for that.