Model Cars Magazine Forum

SELF-DRIVING CARS: THE HYPE VERSUS REALITY

Here is my take on "self driving"  for what its worth: Ill look into it when I can get in, push a button and tell it to take me to work, while I go back to sleep. Otherwise, what is the purpose? If I still have to monitor the road, and keep an eye on it, Ill do it myself. We live in a day when people cant even turn on their lights, windshield wipers and high beams by themselves. Laziness. And the older I get, the less I want a computer doing things for me. I work with computerized navigation on a daily basis in aviation, and its an absolute nightmare. No thanks. I currently have a 67 ford f100 Im going to get running, and Im going to drive it. No computers, no driving aides, and nothing to break. The gadgets are nice, until they start breaking. And if they arent broke right now, they are currently heading toward being broke. 

59 minutes ago, drummerdad said:

Here is my take on "self driving"  for what its worth: Ill look into it when I can get in, push a button and tell it to take me to work, while I go back to sleep. Otherwise, what is the purpose? If I still have to monitor the road, and keep an eye on it, Ill do it myself. We live in a day when people cant even turn on their lights, windshield wipers and high beams by themselves. Laziness. And the older I get, the less I want a computer doing things for me. I work with computerized navigation on a daily basis in aviation, and its an absolute nightmare. No thanks. I currently have a 67 ford f100 Im going to get running, and Im going to drive it. No computers, no driving aides, and nothing to break. The gadgets are nice, until they start breaking. And if they arent broke right now, they are currently heading toward being broke. 

I agree with this 100%.

I'll take this conversation into a slightly different realm as well, as it pertains to old vehicles.

This is part of the reason why I really dislike "resto-mods".

I could never get past the idea that people "must have" all of the creature comforts that their 2019 Audi has, in their '69 Camaro that they spend maybe 6 hours a year in.

I have always been of the opinion that if I'm going to own an "old car", I want it to feel like an old car.

I want it to run, stop and corner like one.

Isn't it the point of owning a classic car for the nostalgia of it?

When I get into my '69 Grand Prix, I want to be transported back to that era.

The feeling of a trip back in time would be completely destroyed with a brand new, custom stitched, tan leather interior and a smooth running modern V-8 under the hood.

I want to have to pump the gas to get it started!

I want it to "lope" at an idle like a 400 should!

I want to hear the secondaries open up on that big old Rochester carb when I stomp on the gas!

I love the fact that I have to put my drink between my legs as I drive because there are NO CUP HOLDERS!!!

It makes me feel young again.

If I really feel that I need blue tooth and Sirius Radio, I'll take my wife's Acura.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree with this 100%.

I'll take this conversation into a slightly different realm as well, as it pertains to old vehicles.

I could never get past the idea that people "must have" all of the creature comforts that their 2019 Audi has, in their '69 Camaro that they spend maybe 6 hours a year in.

I have always been of the opinion that if I'm going to own an "old car", I want it to feel like an old car.

The feeling of a trip back in time would be completely destroyed with a brand new, custom stitched, tan leather interior and a smooth running modern V-8 under the hood.

I want to hear the secondaries open up on that big old Rochester carb when I stomp on the gas!

I love the fact that I have to put my drink between my legs as I drive because there are NO CUP HOLDERS!!!

If I really feel that I need blue tooth and Sirius Radio, I'll take my wife's Acura.

Steve

As a counterpoint, I didn't exist in 1969. I don't have that same nostalgia so while I enjoy the aesthetics of old cars improving some aspects doesn't ruin the experience for me. Especially if it's not a particularly valuable version I'd rather see something done with it than it not get preserved at all. 

I cant tell you how many times a week I get blinded by someone in one of these new cars, with the automatic dimmer...you know, the one with the sensor in the rearview mirror, which is almost the same height of my eyes. My wifes Acura has automatic wipers. It scares the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of everyone when it randomly decides to come on, for no reason. 

I mentioned I work in aviation. We work on a lot of helicopters where they have all the new computerized gizmos. You can link your phone and ipad to your Garmin GPS, and play music, and read texts or emails, build a flight plan in the comfort of your mansion or yacht, then just get in your helicopter, and it links and tells the GPS and autopilot where you are going. Then after you get going, itll flight right to the coordinates and wait for you to tell it what to do. Its all real nice, except when it doesnt work. EVERYTHING requires a monthly update, with an annual fee, and if you update this one unit, but forget one of the others, or you dont read the fine print and the next update is for another airframe, not the one you have, you just screwed everything up. Then you have to figure it out, or bring it to an Avionics shop, which can sometimes cost over $250 an hour to figure it out for you. 

You can keep all that garbage. I will admit I like my seat warmers, and the GPS on my phone, maybe bluetoothing Pandora to the radio. Fuel injection is a good idea. Not that Im overly concerned with the climate, but a simple FI system will outperform carbs anyday, and it starts and idles easy. I cant see me ever wanting a computer to do the driving. I work with them too much to trust them. 

So long as we can keep our antique , classic , muscle , etc. , cars on the road and enjoy them with their carbureted engines , then all's well . 

I enjoy some modernised conveniences , but only in new(er) vehicles . 

I love fuel injection... BUT , in no possible way does it provide the same kick as a carburetor's secondaries --or , even multiple carburetors-- when they fly-open and push your back against the seat . Fuel injection , as great as it is (and virtually without fuel waste) , isn't the same . 

Self-driving ? Not for me , thank you .

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Steve I am with you! When I take out my 72 GP I love the sound of my 455 through turbo mufflers. When I want something else, the 14 speaker stereo does the trick. A cup holder would be handy though.

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree with this 100%.

Steve

Same here.

Though our '74 Beetle doesn't have 400 cubes, or a Rochester with secondaries, I'd drive it year round if we didn't have road salt. ...And if I could still drive... ;)

I'm one of those kooks that love the feel of being in charge of what I'm supposed to be operating. Having it all governed by electronics isn't for me. Maybe I'm just old...

I've spent just enough time dealing with modern vehicular electronics to thoroughly enjoy NOT spending time dealing with them. I know the day is coming when we'll have no choice in whether or not autonomous vehicles dominate the roads, but until then, nope.

Why would I want a self driving car, if I want to just ride in a car I can call a cab...you can pay many cab fairs for what a self driving car costs.
I can't understand why they waste money on this.
I want to drive my car myself and enjoy it.

Edited by Force

20 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree with this 100%.

Steve

Amen!!!!

21 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree with this 100%.

Steve

I like Resto -Mods I am hoping modern medicine can Resto-Mod this 68 year old man 

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

So long as we can keep our antique , classic , muscle , etc. , cars on the road and enjoy them with their carbureted engines , then all's well . 

I enjoy some modernised conveniences , but only in new(er) vehicles . 

I love fuel injection... BUT , in no possible way does it provide the same kick as a carburetor's secondaries --or , even multiple carburetors-- when they fly-open and push your back against the seat . Fuel injection , as great as it is (and virtually without fuel waste) , isn't the same . 

Self-driving ? Not for me , thank you .

Drive something that has boost or variable valve timing (adjusts cam timing on the fly). When I had my turbo cars, they would react a similar was as they got under boost, although the lag less tiny turbos of today may not allow for much of that. The 3.6l in my 200 also has that shove as it accelerates since it can adjust the cam timing from being suitable for bottom end power yet adjust on the fly to keep it making power and pulling to nearly 7k on the tach.

37 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Drive something that has boost or variable valve timing (adjusts cam timing on the fly). When I had my turbo cars, they would react a similar was as they got under boost, although the lag less tiny turbos of today may not allow for much of that. The 3.6l in my 200 also has that shove as it accelerates since it can adjust the cam timing from being suitable for bottom end power yet adjust on the fly to keep it making power and pulling to nearly 7k on the tach.

See there?

You've just made my point for me.

I didn't understand a single word of that. :D

I guess I'm a bit of an automotive neanderthal!

"Put big foot on gas pedal real hard, big holes in carburetor open up, dump lots of gas in engine, car go real fast". ^_^ 

Steve

Still enjoy drive -by-me still, not ready for self driving car of my own. Have to say, there are some "drivers" out there where a self driving car would be a BIG improvement over them driving. I can definitely see some benefits to some people that a self driver would give. Want your hotrod or muscle car still? no problem, keep it for fun, a self driver/electric car as a DD short run, grocery getter, why not. Hazard a guess that some here have more than two cars, in the near future I don't see any reason why not have a self driver/electric car.

Interesting watch. The tech Hotz has developed using nothing but a smart phone that works similar to $350,000 cars is great. 
I like the line “you want self driving cars? We have them already. Call Uber”

Also, watch the portion of the video where the self driving car kills the pedestrian. The “driver/Idiot” is completely oblivious to her surroundings and looking at her laptop. I wonder what the qualification for that job was:

1. must be breathing with heartbeat. 

Overall, kind of indicative of a lot of our economy - marketing and salesmanship over actual product and development (think Elizabeth Holmes).

I suspect there will be some devious hackers that will make it their life's mission to develop a hand held jamming device that will "play" with the vehicle's sensing electronics. 

Google "carpet tacks in bike lanes" and you will see what evil devious folks are capable of.

57 minutes ago, Flat32 said:

I suspect there will be some devious hackers that will make it their life's mission to develop a hand held jamming device that will "play" with the vehicle's sensing electronics. 

Google "carpet tacks in bike lanes" and you will see what evil devious folks are capable of.

Hotz talks about hackers in the video. Pretty much dismisses it with some logic - the hackers have large targets. Hacking into somebody’s car so it drives off a cliff maybe funny, but takes a lot of time and effort better spent hacking medical records or emails or something.