Model Cars Magazine Forum

SELF-DRIVING CARS: THE HYPE VERSUS REALITY

26 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Hotz talks about hackers in the video. Pretty much dismisses it with some logic - the hackers have large targets. Hacking into somebody’s car so it drives off a cliff maybe funny, but takes a lot of time and effort better spent hacking medical records or emails or something.  

Google is a huge target and shutting down all their vehicles would cause chaos.

8 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Did anyone else notice the car in the original post looks like Stan Motts "Cyclops" in Road and Track?  It had all the features, over 60 years ago.

Showing your age AND the knack of the obscure!!!   Now do you remember the Motts  24 Hour train race feature???

Back OT

There is obviously a lot of development needed on any "Self Driving"  car in the market today. The biggest problem in my mind is that they cover a lot of the poor drivers on the road today. There are just to many people that drive their SUVs and Mega Pick-ups like they're battering rams and their hair is on fire to get to where ever it is that makes them more important than anyone else on the road. While I'm not 100 % against some of the driver assistance features on the newer cars I think that drivers need to go back to the job at hand, control the vehicle and look around you when you're driving. Observe and anticipate what other driver around you are doing. Tailgating the car in front of you while talking or texting sipping your Starbucks and giving the one finger salute to the guy you just ran off the road is not the answer. Multitasking and driving are not the ideally mutually inclusive.     

I just wonder who they are going to blame when it goes south and an accident has happened with a self driving car...the manufacturer who made the car or the software, or the person in the car...I mean, if the car is self driven none of these parties drove the car when the accident happened...and how will the insurance companys do in such a case...who has responsibillity. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

40 minutes ago, Force said:

I just wonder who they are going to blame when it goes south and an accident has happened with a self driving car...the manufacturer who made the car or the software, or the person in the car...I mean, if the car is self driven none of these parties drove the car when the accident happened...and how will the insurance companys do in such a case...who has responsibillity. :rolleyes:

Never thought about that. Maybe this will give the insurance companies a way not to pay. 

2 hours ago, Force said:

They will sue EVERYBODY who had anything to do with the production of the car.

As far as the insurance companies, every liability policy here in the States has a clause that the insurer will not pay if there is other applicable insurance coverage.  Since insurance is regulated at the state level, it will be up to the state statutes or case law to determine who pays.  The worst possible situation to be in is a claim where two or more insurance policies may apply to a claim.

A lawsuit involving a self driving car will take a decade or more to sort itself out.

21 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Hotz talks about hackers in the video. Pretty much dismisses it with some logic - the hackers have large targets. Hacking into somebody’s car so it drives off a cliff maybe funny, but takes a lot of time and effort better spent hacking medical records or emails or something.  

The hackers have to start somewhere.

2 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

The hackers have to start somewhere.

Not only that, but not all hackers are after stealing personal info from large companies.  There are plenty of hackers out there (especially lone-wolf young ones) who do it for the thrill of it, or just to cause mayhem.  I'm sure those individuals will try (and likely succeed) hacking the self driving vehicles, causing all sorts of mayhem and destruction.  Heck, even now, there are Internet-connected non-self-driving cars that can get hacked.

On 2/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:When I get into my '69 Grand Prix, I want to be transported back to that era.

I dunno. I remember driving my 50s and 60s cars and they felt like Scotty was running the Enterprise at warp speed at 75. And I think about that on the Turnpike as I pass some old classic lumbering along in the slow lane.

Cars today are so much more refined and comfortable, just as 50 years of progress should be, and I’ll take it.  A few Saturdays ago I was cruising along just chatting with my wife on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey in my little Hyundai Elantra and got pulled over for going 86 without even noticing! The trooper was cool and let me go! 

15 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cars today are so much more refined and comfortable, just as 50 years of progress should be, and I’ll take it.  A few Saturdays ago I was cruising along just chatting with my wife on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey in my little Hyundai Elantra and got pulled over for going 86 without even noticing! The trooper was cool and let me go! 

Very true.

But that was my point.

Nobody that owns a classic car is using it for their primary transportation.

It's a toy.

Very few people are driving their $100,000.00 rotisserie restored '69 Hemi GTX on the turnpike on their way in to the office on a Tuesday morning.

They're driving 25 miles on "cruise night" or taking it to the local car show on a Sunday afternoon.

Why I would need all of the modern conveniences for that is beyond me.

If I want a comfortable, quiet ride, I can drive my Honda Civic.

The fun of owning a classic in my opinion is all of those endearing quirks that I described in my first post.

It's an old car, so I want to "feel" like I'm driving an old car.

To me, something is really lost if I can only tell the difference between my '69 Pontiac and my 2007 Honda Civic by how fast it goes.

As an analogy, it would be a little like buying a grand Victorian home and filling it with wall to wall carpet and modern furniture.

You lose the whole feel of the thing that you are trying to preserve.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Well, when the WWW crashes, smart phones quit working, and all the new cars puke due to all this, the points/carb vehicles will be the new ‘norm’ on the mostly empty roads ( hopefully the local gas pumps aren’t totally automated .......) lol

2 hours ago, tbill said:

Well, when the WWW crashes, smart phones quit working, and all the new cars puke due to all this, the points/carb vehicles will be the new ‘norm’ on the mostly empty roads ( hopefully the local gas pumps aren’t totally automated .......) lol

If the WWW crashes, we will have much bigger problems to worry about than cars.  Today's world is way too dependent on the network connectivity to function properly, or even stumble along  without it. Unfortunately.

I pride myself in being able to slam my MR2 into a corner, find the right gear and if necessary double clutch to slide into a lower gear. I love that car and wouldn't trade it for anything.  On the other hand twice a month I drive over 300 miles round trip up the 405 to pick up my grandson for a weekend visit.  For you who don't know the infamous 405 it is bar none, the most congested and heavily traveled road in the US.  5 to 6 lanes for 80 mph chaos  part  of the way and bumper to bumper headaches the rest of the way. Look it up- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_405_(California)  If I leave at 8 am I will get back home at between 4 and 6 pm. 

To make that drive I have a 2020 Camry loaded with every option available.  I have a full on navigation suite which keeps me apprised of traffic congestion.  The cruise control works in bumper to bumper traffic, keeping me progressing without any effort on my part(yes it slows as slow to 1 mph and progresses when the traffic ahead starts to move).  It has a heads up display that gives me pertinent date and speed so I can keep my eye on the other drivers.  It has a infotainment system that I can play just about kind of music I want or listen to podcast, to keep me from hollering obscenities in front of my 4 year old grandson and lowers my blood pressure.  I short, it has a lot of techno gadgets.   

I wouldn't give up either car.  I simply would lose my mind if I had to drive the MR2 on that drive.  There also no way I would take the Camry to track day.  As differant as a screwdriver and hammer.  Tools for doing differant jobs.  In may cases I envy people who live in other areas and can have a single vehicle to do everything, but there are those of us who need the old cars for pleasure and newer ones to get from point a to point b.  The Technology just works better in the highly congested world I live in. 

Self driving automated cars.........I believe that at least one pedestrian has already been killed by on it these!  Not convinced!

Also, if the controlling mainframe is cyber attacked......Chaos!

Plug in electric cars?   Surely we need the investment put into generating more widespread power first. What happens if everyone buys plug in electrics? Over here in the UK the big thing is renewab!e energy sources and taking out coal fired power stations too soon as well as one of two of our nuclear stations needing to be replaced in the interim. It is all very well government trying to meet emission targets, but one has to be realistic and get enough of the renewables up and running first. Flogging electric cars now is putting the cart before the horse at present. I am waiting for the day when everyone plugs their electric cars into the grid and all the lights go out!   Toyota have the right idea by making self charging hybrids in the interim. Electrics are alright for buzzing about town but simply do not have the range for any distance motoring. It is not as though you can just top up from a gallon can go keep yourself going, is it?

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Ill agree cars today are more comfortable, and refined. They also give people a false sense of being a good driver. NO. You are NOT a good driver. The car kept you in the lane, prevented you from rearending the car in front of you, stopped you from locking the brakes up, and spinning out going too fast around the corner, and it PARKED ITSELF. You are not a good driver. The car is a good driver. 

Also none of these cars will last even 25 years. You will never see a 2020 anything running around in 2045 or 2070. Not going to happen. I have a working 67 ford f100, and a project 67 dodge d100. They just keep on going. 

My idea of a car (if I could afford to run it) would be a Jensen Interceptor...……….1970's .British Built Muscle Car...….Italian Styling...………….With a huge American V8 for the grunt        Basically an unforgiving brute of a car!     Yes!

On the idea of self driving cars...I'm for it. I might have a misplaced trust in technology, but I like the idea of entering a request into my phone and have a car show up to take me where I need to go, especially if that is a ride home with the misses after a fun night somewhere. One less car to own, repair, fuel and insure. Opportunities for ride sharing to work as well.

Now with that said, I still want to keep my hot rod (I dream of) and drive it when and where I want.  Ohh... even though I do like the sound of a loping cam V8, my hot rod would be electric cause the torque makes for a great city plaything.

1 hour ago, Scott Colmer said:

On the idea of self driving cars...I'm for it. I might have a misplaced trust in technology, but I like the idea of entering a request into my phone and have a car show up to take me where I need to go, especially if that is a ride home with the misses after a fun night somewhere. One less car to own, repair, fuel and insure. Opportunities for ride sharing to work as well.

Now with that said, I still want to keep my hot rod (I dream of) and drive it when and where I want.  Ohh... even though I do like the sound of a loping cam V8, my hot rod would be electric cause the torque makes for a great city plaything.

What you are describing already exists: it is called a taxi, uber, lyft, etc.  Self-driving part is done not by a computer but by a human brain.  :D

Yes, that is a good idea for when you are not up for driving (had a fun night on the town, or something similar). Then you have your "toy" car you enjoy driving. But what about your mundane type of driving (like going to work, shopping or visiting the in-laws)?  Would you like to use a self-driving vehicle, or your "fun toy" manually-driven car?

For driving to work..I'll take a self driving car. Sit in the back and get a head start on my work. But I can see once in a while taking the fun car to work or shopping as long as it can be parked without worry. No real in-laws. I get your point...Sometimes it's fun to be the shark in a fish bowl.

As far as uber...not bad but sometimes the drivers can be intrusive and even dangerous. (Loud music, u-turns in front of oncoming traffic, smells)  

There's an old saying that goes, "If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?".

I don't know about the rest of you, but the answer from me would be "uuuh, NO"!

The same answer you'll get from me if you ask if I want some pin headed engineer at Hyundai driving my car for me!

I prefer to be responsible for my own actions. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller