Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome tech closed.... anyone else doing chroming?

I’ve got a bunch of stuff I need chromed and I just found out chrome tech is now closed . I know alclad,  Molotow, etc.... but some things I just prefer to just be chromed the old fashioned way lol like chrome tech did. Is there any other vendors out there doing it?? Any help would be appreciated 

I just saw on Fakebook, someone sends stuff to Poland for chroming!

This is a job opportunity for someone, I've given it some thought, but am busier than a one-armed paper hanger with the career I chose last century, people keep bothering me to help them.  Also seems to get worse the more obsessed I get with building models.

Here is my evaluation:
Need a shop space dedicated to only this task, if you own it, that's ideal.  How much space (minimum) is required?
Understand you will be chained to it.
How many reliable employees would be available in your town?
How much does the equipment cost?  I saw somewhere about $130,000.
What is the maintenance schedule for this equipment?
Where and what materials do you need to routinely get?  How is our EPA about it?  Where/how do you dispose of waste?
Promotion and advertising to get started with?  After you get established, with a good reputation, that won't be required.
If you are passionate about models, and have some business acumen, and aren't invested in your current occupation (like me, I know enough to be dangerous, and too stupid to take a risk like this), then you ought to grab this brass ring and go for it.

I have had a few batches of stuff done by George Hernandez since he got back into the game after some medical challenges pulled him away for awhile and I have been VERY pleased with the work done. You can find George on Facebook under GT KustomKrome of you can email him directly at ghernandezjr53@outlook.com . I have always found George to be a decent guy and easy to work with. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help in any way.

Edited by impcon

On 3/4/2020 at 10:10 PM, 89AKurt said:

I just saw on Fakebook, someone sends stuff to Poland for chroming!

That's Steve Boutte. He's a master at traditional customs from the 50's. Some of his stuff looks more real than the real thing. If he sends his parts to Poland for chrome plating, the company must be good. I can't remember the name....its something like Mystrlys...

6 hours ago, Draggon said:

That's Steve Boutte. He's a master at traditional customs from the 50's. Some of his stuff looks more real than the real thing. If he sends his parts to Poland for chrome plating, the company must be good. I can't remember the name....its something like Mystrlys...

https://instagram.com/metalrys_chroming?igshid=1f0nq3bi4tyvi

• 2 years later...
On 3/6/2020 at 8:46 AM, impcon said:

I have had a few batches of stuff done by George Hernandez since he got back into the game after some medical challenges pulled him away for awhile and I have been VERY pleased with the work done. You can find George on Facebook under GT KustomKrome of you can email him directly at ghernandezjr53@outlook.com . I have always found George to be a decent guy and easy to work with. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help in any way.

Do you know if George is still chrome plating parts?

On 6/7/2022 at 9:11 PM, Rodent said:

Is Dale Horner still doing chrome?...

Yes he is. I phoned him on Monday and was e-mailed this info that night (as an MS Word document). He was friendly and easy to talk to. We spoke about plating plastic and resin. He wants resin parts mounted separately because he overcoats them (he’s had too many problems with resin parts being porous). He spoke about the varied quality of 3D printed parts. It sounded like he didn’t want to deal with them (not something I’m into anyway).

He also sent a price list/order form. Because prices can change I’m not posting that here.

Hope this helps!

John

9/23/2022: Someone in a Facebook group posted that Dale had passed away. I just now got off the phone with him. He is indeed very much alive.

spacer.png

2v2ayfCYFxvfat.jpg

Edited by john sharisky
clarity and additional info