Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hurst Hemi Under Glass

rastta

Got this kit for Christmas from my wife.  Was a bit disappointed in it overall detail wise, but had fun building it anyway. Since there were numerous iterations of the car - I decided to just build the model as it came, with the exception of using some real rubber front tires and slicks.  Yes I know the MH's are correct, but they were the only ones I could find that seemed to be the right size. I tired to airbrush the black on so that the line between the black and gold wasn't a "hard" line but more like the original, but after two failures, I went with the tape.  I also got the "Riggle" decal set as the one that came with the kit wasn't remotely close to correct.  Now I have both this and my Little Red Wagon on the shelf.  Two of my favorites from way back when.

0206200739.thumb.jpg.e144251413470fbc5da545a372a8d128.jpg0206200739a.jpg.c73b51612ab15f2aab7301872b7cacec.jpg0206200740.jpg.dcf1f8e299f84c6d5d5873c73d41d0e8.jpg0206200740_HDR.thumb.jpg.6d7c29eddaa036db52198396635fa015.jpg0206200740a.jpg.15985e8b453a172f4416c7177b5ece0c.jpg0206200740a_HDR.thumb.jpg.f6f591b8673f99390f5b8eed1899db69.jpg0206200740b.jpg.552dc3fae1df18cd29da6bd86623b264.jpg0206200740c.thumb.jpg.b9da494f98cde5e63da38765631d77f2.jpg0206200741_HDR.thumb.jpg.bb9bb55422e211aba3c8ec2b197704e8.jpg

I'm currently working on the "Hurst Hairy Olds" kit. I'm using the very same paint you are ( that sparkly gold looks just like the Testor's Extreme Laquer Pure Gold that I'm using). Everything is done on my kit so far, save for masking and spraying the gloss black areas over the gold body. The body has received two coats of clear over the gold, so I have my fingers crossed that I will achieve sharp masked lines. I hope it really comes out good, 'cause i'm not sure this has been re-issued and I've had the kit for years, and I'd hate to screw it up now! I guess I'll soon find out whether or not the decals are still good!

I've seen this kit, The "Hurst hemi Under Glass" at my hobby store, and am tempted to get it too. Yours came out very nice.

On a side note, being that I am a drag and ski boat owner, and have Casale V-drives in all my boats, I noticed the "Casale V-Drive" decal used on your model's bellhousing, but from the underside view, it would appear that no V-drive is used on this car, as the driveline comes directly off the clutch and right to the rear end. Was that "Casale V-Drive decal in THIS kit?

Edited by spike morelli

15 hours ago, spike morelli said:

I'm currently working on the "Hurst Hairy Olds" kit. I'm using the very same paint you are ( that sparkly gold looks just like the Testor's Extreme Laquer Pure Gold that I'm using). Everything is done on my kit so far, save for masking and spraying the gloss black areas over the gold body. The body has received two coats of clear over the gold, so I have my fingers crossed that I will achieve sharp masked lines. I hope it really comes out good, 'cause i'm not sure this has been re-issued and I've had the kit for years, and I'd hate to screw it up now! I guess I'll soon find out whether or not the decals are still good!

I've seen this kit, The "Hurst hemi Under Glass" at my hobby store, and am tempted to get it too. Yours came out very nice.

On a side note, being that I am a drag and ski boat owner, and have Casale V-drives in all my boats, I noticed the "Casale V-Drive" decal used on your model's bellhousing, but from the underside view, it would appear that no V-drive is used on this car, as the driveline comes directly off the clutch and right to the rear end. Was that "Casale V-Drive decal in THIS kit?

Yup - Testor's Pure Gold.  Love that line of paints - I'm trying to find uses for all the colors ?

As for the decal - I'm not sure - I'd have to check.  The original car had the V-drive - but the model doesn't - one of the things that is just not quite correct.

56 minutes ago, rastta said:

The original car had the V-drive - but the model doesn't - one of the things that is just not quite correct.

The chassis based, more-or-less-ish, on the Tom McEwen '65 Barracuda funny, which wasn't a wheelstander, but an attempt at a serious drag car. (IIRC it wasn't particularly successful.) 

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The chassis based, more-or-less-ish, on the Tom McEwen '65 Barracuda funny, which wasn't a wheelstander, but an attempt at a serious drag car. (IIRC it wasn't particularly successful.) 

Interesting - don't remember that at all.  Just looked it up.  Learn something new everyday. ?