Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 73'DUSTER

kelson

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Wow....yet another Model Cars project close to my heart.  As my own first new car was a 1973 Duster 340, bought off the floor at Highland Chrysler Plymouth in Grand Rapids in late December, 1972.  Mine was Silver Frost metallic (a silver gray with a lot of flake) with a blake interior and stripes, no vinyl roof, and the Space Duster package.   Within a few months I had added factory chrome wheel lip moldings, G70 14 RWL Goodyears in back to go with the E70's in front, cranked the t-Bars down in front, and was running 14x6/14x7 Appliance Aluminum wheels.  I've had the MPC kit set set aside for what....47 years now....maybe one day I will finally get it built.   

Meanwhile, I did just finish another model of the new car I bought a year later, using the Duster as my trade in....a factory ordered 1974 Plymouth Road Runner E58 360 hi-po.....

Good luck Curtis with yours....it's looking really good so far....TIM  

Not to high jack this thread but would love to see your build of the 74 Road Runner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very nice!  Everyone from our era has a Duster story.  I graduated high school in 1976 and worked delivering pizza that summer. The girl my age who took the phone orders had a sister a few years older than us who worked full time.

Terri showed up at the restaurant to visit her sister in a 73 Duster. It was a 318 V8 car with auto, air conditioning, bucket seats and a console. It had low miles and was silver with a red half vinyl roof and interior. I thought this car was perfect! And she was selling it for $1500! I wanted it!  Only at 18 I didn’t have enough cash. So I went to the bank where I had my account since I was 14, sure that they would be impressed with my part time job, $500 down payment and my sincere promise to pay them back.  That was not so, they didn’t loan me the $1000. A pity for all parties concerned, Terri because her car was not sold, me because I didn’t get the car and the bank because I have never ever not paid a debt!