Model Cars Magazine Forum
FenderMender

Orphaned Pontiac

Solstice: "Either of two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest angular distance from the celestial equator. The summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere occurs about June 21, when the sun is at the zenith on the Tropic of Cancer; the winter solstice occurs about December 21, when the sun is at zenith on the Tropic of Capricorn."

This is a 1:24 scale, slightly modified, diecast Maisto model of a 2006 Pontiac Solstice. Since Pontiac is an orphan brand nowadays, it's really good to have any Pontiac represented in a model car collection. The model was bought a number of years ago before Pontiacs were orphans. The model was lowered, the wheels were painted black, the interior was detailed and carpeted, the engine and bay were detailed some, and a metal exhaust tip was added outback. And being a budget model, this somewhat excuses some of the body panel gaps being a little too wide. Overall, though, a favorable casting of a cool little sports car.

Thanks for looking ...

414391295.jpg

414391297.jpg

414391303.jpg

414391302.jpg

414391301.jpg

414391300.jpg

414391299.jpg

414391298.jpg

414391296.jpg

414391305.jpg

414391311.jpg

Very cool! Have never seen this one before. Thanks for sharing it! B)

27 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool! Have never seen this one before. Thanks for sharing it! B)

X2

I like it! I had the Saturn Sky version at one point. I used to have it displayed next to a Testors Chrysler Crossfire. So weird that just a few years ago everybody had a roadster in the lineup and now they're ditching even mainstream cars to build more crossovers. 

Cool little diecast. 

2 hours ago, Metalbeast said:

So weird that just a few years ago everybody had a roadster in the lineup and now they're ditching even mainstream cars to build more crossovers. 

It's because the automakers told us we didn't want cars anymore. We want four door trucks with useless beds and lifted station wagons (crossovers)

Edited by THarrison351

7 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Cool little diecast. 

It's because the automakers told us we didn't want cars anymore. We want four door trucks with useless beds and lifted station wagons (crossovers)

I call them "pods" - crossovers.  And I have one now because they don't do wagons and that's the closest to a wagon.   Wouldn't mind a Ford Flex with woodgrain.  lol   But yes, a  lifted wagon.   Everyone has to feel "large and in charge" I guess.   And they aren't even that tall anymore.  My wife likes hers because it's so easy to get in and out of.  No climbing or dropping in.  Same getting out.  

Back to topic - my step dad has a Saturn Sky.  That's a droip in car for sure.  I'm pretty substantial, so exit involves opeining door, rolling out onto pavement and getting upright from there.   LOL.   Entering is a matter of aim and letting gravity do it's thing.  

12 hours ago, Metalbeast said:

I like it! I had the Saturn Sky version at one point. 

image.png.bdb2166c3fe658cf67d51c3e8e13bde3.png

There were three versions of the diecast and the real car.  On the left is the Pontiac, center is the Saturn Sky and up front is the Opel GT which was sold in Europe. It marked the first and only time an Opel was made in the USA!   

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.bdb2166c3fe658cf67d51c3e8e13bde3.png

There were three versions of the diecast and the real car.  On the left is the Pontiac, center is the Saturn Sky and up front is the Opel GT which was sold in Europe. It marked the first and only time an Opel was made in the USA!   

I knew a guy with a Sky and he put all the Opel trim on it. He also had a GTO with all the Holden badges on it. That got sold traded in on a Chevrolet SS which, you guessed it, ended up with Holden badges because I guess an SS alone wasn't obscure enough. I told him he could have at least tried some Vauxhall markings on the SS, lol.