Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some unusual race cars

6883michaelw

3 hours ago, swede70 said:

On the last image, the Chevrolet seen appears to have a '69 front clip and doors, with '68 panel work further back.  The four-door Oldsmobile is a scream.  Fun images surely...

Mike K./Swede70

That's exactly what I thought. I guess NASCAR was a bit more flexible with there rules back then. 

The first car pictured might have been in a NASCAR Grand National race at one time, but that picture is from a later date. It would have no longer been eligible because it would have been too old for a 1969 Thunderbird. A 1969 Thunderbird would be eligible for the 1969, 1970 and 1971 seasons. Those wheels (slotted) are for disc brakes. Disc brakes did not come into use in NASCAR until the 1972 season. It was probably some type of Sportsman or vintage racer. Great pictures otherwise. Oh, yeah If you Google Henley Gray and 1971 Thunderbird you'll see another unusual, but good looking NASCAR GN car. He campaigned it for several races in the 1972 an 1973 seasons. The decals were actually part of the previous  AMT release with the green 1971 Thunderbird on the box.

Edited by THarrison351

11 hours ago, swede70 said:

On the last image, the Chevrolet seen appears to have a '69 front clip and doors, with '68 panel work further back.  The four-door Oldsmobile is a scream.  Fun images surely...

Mike K./Swede70

Yep, that's a '71 behind it, so Nascar may have told them they had to "69" it a little to meet the 3 year rule. Look's kinda like a '68 & 3/8ths:)

John

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I take it these are Winston west cars?  I didn't think nascar used 4 door cars till they started using the fusion,  chevy ss, and camry a few   years ago?

The Taurus from the late 1990's was the first 4 - door car raced in NASCAR Cup since at least the 80's. 

20 hours ago, 6883michaelw said:

Here's a few unusual cars that ran in NASCARs grand national series. Hope you like them. Can anyone figure out what is so different with the last one???

527272scr_wm_95c66936fadd5fc.jpg

435194scr_wm_0371eb6738a3892.jpg

476089scr_wm_33d1f779b45af05.jpg

335910scr_wm_fbcb3c285ebc1b6.jpg

338937scr_wm_73dea891f7c2678.jpg

20200301_112904.jpg

There is a pony car(Mustang) full size car(Chevy) and a intermediate (Plymouth)  all three racing together..

13 minutes ago, iBorg said:

In the last photo, is that a four door door? I seem to remember two doors being a hardtop without the full door frame.

The last pic is a 68 Chevy Biscayne with 69 doors and front clip. The pic above is an Olds Cutlass 4 dr. hardtop.