Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell 1969 Dodge Charger R/T body wip pics.

wisco8

Hi, I've been learning how to get a nice finish. Here are a few pics so far. I started by washing the kit with dish soap and let dry. My next step was to remove any mold seams, flash, and sanding out minor imperfections with 3m micro-fine sanding pads, washed again and applied Tamiya fine white primer decanted into a paint jar for use in my airbrush to be thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner.   After applying several medium coats I wet sanded with Micro mesh 4000 grit to a medium shine and smooth finish.

I then used scale finishes Red Bull blue as my base coat spraying at 15-20 psi light mist coats until a nice even layer was achieved. After I was satisfied with the evenness I buffed the base-coat carefully with 4000 micro-mesh dry to remove any texture, then wash, rinse and let air dry. Re-checked  for flaws or missed areas I was satisfied with the results. My next step was to apply a clear coat of Tamiya TS-13...3 times carefully, wet sanding each layer 6000 Micro-mesh. The last layer was wet sanded first with micro-mesh 6000 for a few hours, washed and then wet sanded with 8000 grit micro-mesh, at this point I started buffing down the clear with Novis#2 and finishing with  Novis#1 and Tamiya finishing compound.  The time that is spent on buffing and waxing, more so buffing to achieve a decent finish was critical for me. It did pay off on the hood. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Best regards, Steve

IMG_20200301_094422820.jpg

IMG_20200301_094437560.jpg

IMG_20200301_094506842.jpg

IMG_20200301_094513063.jpg

Just now, CabDriver said:

I don’t think you need many suggestions - that looks GREAT!

Thank you Jim. I watched Many videos, a few of my favorites are Doctor Cranky's Lab-RAT-ory , Donn Yost, to mention a few... have helped me to understand major principals of finishing. With some basic knowledge you can really enjoy the models you put so much time into.

Steve

I love both those guy’s videos - I just started using Donn Yost’s painting technique recently after trying a bunch of stuff - can’t argue with the results right out of the airbrush!

1EB79847-F4C4-46F4-B605-4511772A7273.thumb.jpeg.21603daf95ee10cb19252a1cf49f78a1.jpeg

Anyhoo, great start - if all the parts look as good as the body this is going to be a great looking build!

23 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I love both those guy’s videos - I just started using Donn Yost’s painting technique recently after trying a bunch of stuff - can’t argue with the results right out of the airbrush!

1EB79847-F4C4-46F4-B605-4511772A7273.thumb.jpeg.21603daf95ee10cb19252a1cf49f78a1.jpeg

Anyhoo, great start - if all the parts look as good as the body this is going to be a great looking build!

23 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That looks excellent!! What car  is that for?

1 minute ago, CabDriver said:

This one here:

Didn’t meant to hijack your thread, my apologies ...looking forward to seeing more of this build! ?

That's cool, I just love learning what ever I can. Beautiful color and a super build Jim. She is going to look fabulous!!!

Looks great!! ??

I do love my mopars & the 2nd Gen’ Chargers are my absolute favourites, ever since I saw the most famous 2nd Gen’ wearing the 01 on its doors, as a kid ?

I myself am working on all 3 year models, the 68/69 & 70, putting as much detail into them as I can or am able to do. 

As for your finishing style/technique.... nothing you need advice on..... seems you’ve got it down-pat ???? Being in the hobby well over 40yrs now, I learnt a hellava lot through SAE magazine, other builders, these forums etc, as well as modern internet videos ( You-Tube etc ) & watching real car shows/builds. Self-education is the best way to make progress & good progress at that! 

Keep up the great work & im looking forward to your Charger’s progress ??

Cheers 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:05 AM, espo said:

The paint finish on the hood looks as smooth as it can be. 

Thank you Sir. I think I put at least 4 hours on the hood just wet sanding and buffing. I can see after a real close inspection that I have more to do near the directionals on the hood and a small white spot near the passengers side back edge of the hood. I'm still learning.and I haven't done that many cars but following the advice of the top modelers helps to progress a little faster. I'm my own worst critic. Which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. It seems I'm. always trying to find a better way to make it look real in scale as possible, but not so easy most of the time. I have to conclude that doing your best and accepting the fact that there is always going to be someone who does it better is just a fact, but learn from them to improve your skills.

Steve

5 hours ago, CJ1971 said:

Looks great!! ??

I do love my mopars & the 2nd Gen’ Chargers are my absolute favourites, ever since I saw the most famous 2nd Gen’ wearing the 01 on its doors, as a kid ?

I myself am working on all 3 year models, the 68/69 & 70, putting as much detail into them as I can or am able to do. 

As for your finishing style/technique.... nothing you need advice on..... seems you’ve got it down-pat ???? Being in the hobby well over 40yrs now, I learnt a hellava lot through SAE magazine, other builders, these forums etc, as well as modern internet videos ( You-Tube etc ) & watching real car shows/builds. Self-education is the best way to make progress & good progress at that! 

Keep up the great work & im looking forward to your Charger’s progress ??

Cheers 

Thank you Sir I'll try to make it my best.

Steve

3 hours ago, wisco8 said:

Thank you Sir. I think I put at least 4 hours on the hood just wet sanding and buffing. I can see after a real close inspection that I have more to do near the directionals on the hood and a small white spot near the passengers side back edge of the hood. I'm still learning.and I haven't done that many cars but following the advice of the top modelers helps to progress a little faster. I'm my own worst critic. Which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. It seems I'm. always trying to find a better way to make it look real in scale as possible, but not so easy most of the time. I have to conclude that doing your best and accepting the fact that there is always going to be someone who does it better is just a fact, but learn from them to improve your skills.

Steve

You’re exactly right.... I think everyone is their own worst critic ??‍♂️ Lol. The learning from the pro’s is what I tend to replicate into each successive build I do too. There are some really talented guys out there & do some absolutely amazing work, like jaw-dropping ? I follow a few guys on f/b & Instagram & they are true pros. If you get the chance check out DH Modelworx & Scaled Lenses, both on F/B & instagram. You will be amazed at the work/builds, also check out aerev on Instagram - this guy is the God of carbon fibre decaling!

As for lessening your polishing time, I’ve graduated ( a couple of years ago now ) to polishing like they do on the 1:1s, with my Dremel & cotton mops/ 1’ & 2’ foam pads! It’s drastically cut down on the hours spent by hand ????

Anyways ..... like I said.... keep up the good work! 

Cheers 

A few more pics for today. I will very lightly wet sand the first clear coat with 6000 grit micro-mesh wash up and apply the second coat until I have 3 nice clear coats applied. The third coat being buffed but not polished to a medium shine, then I will apply the decal over the deck lid and applying very light mist (decanted into airbrush) coats over it, wet sanding each subsequent coat until the decals has blended in.  I filled in the firewall key holes so they are not visible.

Steve

IMG_20200305_092236753.jpg

IMG_20200305_164713519.jpg

IMG_20200305_172106225.jpg

IMG_20200305_182017152.jpg

IMG_20200305_183303488.jpg

IMG_20200305_190639144.jpg

IMG_20200305_190648922.jpg

On 3/4/2020 at 2:09 AM, CJ1971 said:

You’re exactly right.... I think everyone is their own worst critic ??‍♂️ Lol. The learning from the pro’s is what I tend to replicate into each successive build I do too. There are some really talented guys out there & do some absolutely amazing work, like jaw-dropping ? I follow a few guys on f/b & Instagram & they are true pros. If you get the chance check out DH Modelworx & Scaled Lenses, both on F/B & instagram. You will be amazed at the work/builds, also check out aerev on Instagram - this guy is the God of carbon fibre decaling!

As for lessening your polishing time, I’ve graduated ( a couple of years ago now ) to polishing like they do on the 1:1s, with my Dremel & cotton mops/ 1’ & 2’ foam pads! It’s drastically cut down on the hours spent by hand ????

Anyways ..... like I said.... keep up the good work! 

Cheers 

Hi Cliff, just bought one of those 3" bench grinders with the flex shaft. I also bought some cotton bits which are safer, the dence pads will burn right through everything.

My only suggestion would be to not spray clear over the vinyl top.

In my opinion, it looks too shiny.

A good tip is to spray with a flat paint and rub it down with your fingers.

The oils from your skin will give it a very nice and realistic sheen on the high points without looking overly glossy.

image.jpeg.56130055b98dec0e42415e6ced7467de.jpeg

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My only suggestion would be to not spray clear over the vinyl top.

In my opinion, it looks too shiny.

A good tip is to spray with a flat paint and rub it down with your fingers.

The oils from your skin will give it a very nice and realistic sheen on the high points without looking overly glossy.

image.jpeg.56130055b98dec0e42415e6ced7467de.jpeg

Steve

Hi Steve, thank you for the tip. I shot the whole thing clear because I want to do all the trim in Alclad2 chrome, but buy doing so, I would shoot the clear onto the roof anyway. After the body is finished Ill mask off all the trim, shoot the Alclad2 chrome, re-clear-coat the Alclad2 chrome, mask the chrome and them tone down the roof, with a flat like you said, the finger oil burnish is a great idea and I agree will look perfect.  I could do the bare metal foil also. Pretty much the same way I did this one.....

Steve

DSC09751.JPG

DSC09831.JPG

Edited by wisco8

20 hours ago, wisco8 said:

Hi Cliff, just bought one of those 3" bench grinders with the flex shaft. I also bought some cotton bits which are safer, the dence pads will burn right through everything.

G’day Steve, here’s a couple of pics regarding the foam pads & cotton “mops” that I mentioned I use. They’re widely available on EBay ( from China - so you might have a bit of a problem getting them at this point due to that silly virus. I got these ages ago, I’m a hoarder for stuff like this. ? ) The cotton “mops” are usually used by jewellers for polishing & they’re not the hard/compressed type you get with Dremel parts stuff ) totally different. The foam pads come in various grades, same as they do for 1:1 pads. I’ve also included pics of the 2 Dremels I use, because they’re both quite slow ( rpms ) for polishing our builds & are perfect to do just that ??????
Cheers, Cliff. 

C1BEE9D8-2B0C-40BC-A667-154DAF27CC9C.jpeg

84718D9C-F48F-44E6-91D3-6366B13F3396.jpeg

3rd clear coat applied and wet sanded. I think at this point I'm going to lay down the decal and then hide it under a few more light mist coats. Hopefully I wont destroy the decal.    I think I will be safe because Ill mist coat over it with the decanted  Tamiya TS-13 which is thinned with the Tamiya lacquer thinner.

IMG_20200307_203606058.jpg

IMG_20200307_203635447.jpg

IMG_20200307_203709936.jpg

IMG_20200307_203723142.jpg

IMG_20200307_203833255.jpg

51 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Looking really nice!

Doesn't look like it will require much polishing.

Hi Steve, I went out a bought those cotton polishing bits. I dipped some in novis #2 and luckily I was wearing my optivisor, man did I get a face full!! LOL!! Soooo, just a little works fine. I have to laugh because I'm always watching these videos on people  doing stupid stuff, well I think I just made the club!! Ha ha . Anyway I'm going to have to wet sand after the decal goes down so I can hide it into the finish. I also found out that if you look real close at your finish that there are very small areas that need to be wet sanded even more. It might look good from a close distance but looking even closer reveals what I thought was a good job was just a good start. So I will be wet sanding even more.

I'm thinking of trying some Clear Coat 2K Acrylic Urethane I think its 1 part hardener to 4 parts clear. After I watched a video on YouTube last night it seems this stuff needs very little wet sanding if at all any. Here is a pic of the stuff I'm talking about.

Steve

s-l1600.png

Edited by wisco8