Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Buick GS Stage 1

Looks like you're off to a great start! 

Unlike my good friend Steve, I'm not a fan of this car. In fact, IMHO it's far and away the weirdest and ugliest of all the '64-'72 GM A bodies. (Even so, if someone did one in plastic, I'd build it just for completeness of my musclecar collection.) But I'll be watching with interest, just to see what you do with it. Interesting project for sure! B)

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Unlike my good friend Steve, I'm not a fan of this car. In fact, IMHO it's far and away the weirdest and ugliest of all the '64-'72 GM A bodies. (Even so, if someone did one in plastic, I'd build it just for completeness of my musclecar collection.) But I'll be watching with interest, just to see what you do with it. Interesting project for sure! B)

Ooooohhh man you better watch yourself.?? Here’s a model of my GS

70972FE3-8B56-416B-A132-C2218A615E08.jpeg

A3FE24DB-F501-4765-B90A-2FDD8CF540BE.jpeg

14 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

A complete rework of a Perry’s 68.Corrected rear window wheel openings and hood peak. Reworked frt bumper and grille. Completely redone hood too. This has been put aside a few years.?Time to get it out again. 543CF9EB-1A8E-4B2E-AD77-D36FE5C331D3.thumb.jpeg.ddb23eceb603439b8435f4f79e342918.jpeg

898EA210-3D00-4F60-9C62-7156C6D00758.jpeg

Tim,

Can you post some progress pics of the corrections as well as the hood. I have this kit as well and when the time comes to build it I want to do it justice.

Thanks

Alan

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Tim,

Can you post some progress pics of the corrections as well as the hood. I have this kit as well and when the time comes to build it I want to do it justice.

Thanks

Alan

Alan I don’t know if I have any pictures. I literally did this up to and including paint about 7 years ago. Stuff gets way sidelined in my world. I’ll look and see if I have any on my computer tonight.

1 hour ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Alan I don’t know if I have any pictures. I literally did this up to and including paint about 7 years ago. Stuff gets way sidelined in my world. I’ll look and see if I have any on my computer tonight.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And as you would guess Snake, I couldn't disagree more. :D

Part of the reason that I like this body style as much as I do is because of the "weirdness".

I've always been a much bigger fan of the "weird" of some of the earlier (1968) muscle cars over the much more "accepted" designs of 1969 or '70.

I always thought the '68 Charger was a better looking car than the '69 "because" of the round tail lights.

The '68 Olds 442 is more interesting to me "because" of the weird head lights split by the parking light, or because of strange vertical fender stripe.

And in this case, I love the swooping side body line, the "semi skirted" rear fender well and the concave rear bumper.

They're all things that make the car completely unique from many other more "main stream" looking muscle cars of the era.

I know that the '70 Chevelle, or '70 442 are considered to be among the most beautiful muscle cars of all time, but in my opinion, they look pretty pedestrian.

There was a gentleman that owned a '69 GS in the small town that I was raised in, and from the first time I saw it, I was in love! :wub:

image.png.b1c2c269e2c22fd5e377e32d9087fea5.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I corrected the hood on mine too. I felt it was much too blunt. Of course I had to point the grill and bumper more also. I think it came out fairly well. I was thinking of making a mold of those parts for the other two that I have. I didn’t know about the wheel well and rear window issues. 
image.thumb.jpg.9ac05ca6148c681242c8a83a83dc8ba0.jpg

I removed all the GS specific parts from mine and added window frames for the lower base model. It’s going to replicate my cousin’s first car.

image.thumb.jpg.f94c6d46f96e3b0268deb15682e052c3.jpg

I think I have you beat on how long mine has been stalled, it was painted in 2001!?

Edited by Superbird McMonte

20 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I corrected the hood on mine too. I felt it was much too blunt. Of course I had to point the grill and bumper more also. I think it came out fairly well. I was thinking of making a mold of those parts for the other two that I have. I didn’t know about the wheel well and rear window issues. 
image.thumb.jpg.9ac05ca6148c681242c8a83a83dc8ba0.jpg

I removed all the GS specific parts from mine and added window frames for the lower base model. It’s going to replicate my cousin’s first car.

image.thumb.jpg.f94c6d46f96e3b0268deb15682e052c3.jpg

I think I have you beat on how long mine has been stalled, it was painted in 2001!?

How did you point the grille and bumper? I rebuilt the grille to be a 69 and spliced a 66 Wildcat center bumper in to the resin ends

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

And as you would guess Snake, I couldn't disagree more. :D

Part of the reason that I like this body style as much as I do is because of the "weirdness".

I've always been a much bigger fan of the "weird" of some of the earlier (1968) muscle cars over the much more "accepted" designs of 1969 or '70.

I always thought the '68 Charger was a better looking car than the '69 "because" of the round tail lights.

The '68 Olds 442 is more interesting to me "because" of the weird head lights split by the parking light, or because of strange vertical fender stripe.

And in this case, I love the swooping side body line, the "semi skirted" rear fender well and the concave rear bumper.

They're all things that make the car completely unique from many other more "main stream" looking muscle cars of the era.

I know that the '70 Chevelle, or '70 442 are considered to be among the most beautiful muscle cars of all time, but in my opinion, they look pretty pedestrian.

There was a gentleman that owned a '69 GS in the small town that I was raised in, and from the first time I saw it, I was in love! :wub:

image.png.b1c2c269e2c22fd5e377e32d9087fea5.png

Steve

Steve I have to agree with you 100%. I think all the 68 Abosy cars were prettier than the 69 cars. Personally I think the 70-72 Chevelle has nothing on the 68-69 cars. The only 70 Muscle car I really liked was the GS. The 68-69 GTO was nicer as was the 442 of those years. All that being said I’ll take a 67 GS400 hardtop over all the others. The best looking A body of all time.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

How did you point the grille and bumper? I rebuilt the grille to be a 69 and spliced a 66 Wildcat center bumper in to the resin ends

I used sheet plastic on the hood. And I added plastic to the bumper.

The grill was kind of tricky. I sliced it from the rear but not all the way through. Then I cut the upper chrome down to the grill. Really just put a slice in it. I was able to warm it in hot water and close up the gap in the rear and then superglue it. Then I filled and added plastic to the upper chrome piece.

The end result was close, but probably could be pointed a little bit more. I think yours is more accurate.