Model Cars Magazine Forum

Orange Crate

Guy Beaudette

Good evening guys,

One more for tonight. I built a couple of these kits. The first one was around '67....Glue bomb but, I loved it! The second was around '72. I lost it when I moved out of the house and got married. Mom cleaned up! It wasn't that great anyway. This one here is my third and final shot. I had to make it count.

orange crate 2.jpg

orange crate 5.jpg

orange crate 7.jpg

orange crate 9.jpg

Orange Crate at 1st show 4b.jpg

Orange Crate at 1st show 5b.jpg

Orange Crate at 1st show 8b.jpg

• Like 1

I love the detail in the "Zolotoned" inner body sections...….as was the real car. This is a very well done piece of art. Certainly , this is as perfect a job as most anyone can aspire to. I have this kit on my "to do" shelf, along with maybe 50 other kits. If I ever get to it, now I know where the "bar" is!

Guy, no fair sneaking in pictures of the actual car. Ha Ha ?

In all seriousness, studying your pics I see a great amount of scratch building.

That is a work of art! of one of the most beautiful Go and Show drag cars of

all time. IMO

Q;  Is all that chrome Alclad or did you send parts out to be plated?

Again, superior build.

The Orange Crate.  Probably three words that have defeated most older modelers.  Well it sure whooped me back in 1963 or so when it came out.  I wanted this kit like no other before.  Well, let me write, right along there with the AMT Double Dragster Kit....the Fiat!

After much research, I bought the kit last December, and had big plans for it.  Again, karma struck. It's on ice for now.

Then this one comes along.

I had to look often to see if it was the real car or the model.  Thank goodness for wooden table tops.  Only then could I comment, "this is the best model I've ever seen".

Still true.

The chrome finish just kills me, yet the slight wash on the rear brake backing plate is so subtle, they look correct.  Not a single flaw in my opinion.

To top things off, the front tires show some tread wear.

Still the best in my opinion.

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Guy, no fair sneaking in pictures of the actual car. Ha Ha ?

In all seriousness, studying your pics I see a great amount of scratch building.

That is a work of art! of one of the most beautiful Go and Show drag cars of

all time. IMO

Q;  Is all that chrome Alclad or did you send parts out to be plated?

Again, superior build.

STYRENE-SURFER,

I really don't believe in chrome plating on a 1/25th vehicle.  It's just too shiny.  At the time we all had to bare with it. Now there's alternatives...All chrome on a lot of my recent builds which started with the Groundshaker Jr. fuel altered which was built back in 2000 is Alclad II chrome. So this car's chrome is Alclad II.

Thank you for the compliments!

Guy