Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 big truck coming !!!

6 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

Now if we could only get some farm equipment reissued, I would love a international 1466 and plow......

Id love to see those back out too.  I have whats left of my old childhood builds of the Ertl  IH and Massey farm tractors but not enough to do anything with them and there in bad shape.

IIRC, from Tim Boyd's article in the "Other Mag", the tooling for the Tractors, Plows and Farm Trailers,  was not part of the deal when AMT bought the other truck tooling from ERTL. So, until someone can convince ERTL to let somebody run plastic in the tooling ERTL still holds, the Tractors, Backhoe, Ect, From that tooling will not be seen again.

I'll go out on a limb, and guess that Tom Lowe, and others in the Model community have tried to get the use of that tooling, and so far have not been successful. But, maybe someday. Tim Boyd or others probably know much more than I do, as I mostly just read stuff, and extrapolate from what ahs been mentioned or guessed at by other who know more than I do.

3 hours ago, alexis said:

IIRC, from Tim Boyd's article in the "Other Mag", the tooling for the Tractors, Plows and Farm Trailers,  was not part of the deal when AMT bought the other truck tooling from ERTL. So, until someone can convince ERTL to let somebody run plastic in the tooling ERTL still holds, the Tractors, Backhoe, Ect, From that tooling will not be seen again.

I'll go out on a limb, and guess that Tom Lowe, and others in the Model community have tried to get the use of that tooling, and so far have not been successful. But, maybe someday. Tim Boyd or others probably know much more than I do, as I mostly just read stuff, and extrapolate from what ahs been mentioned or guessed at by other who know more than I do.

Alan....I wasn't the source of that info, at least to the best of my recollection. 

Remember that Ertl acquired the AMT tooling back in the early 1980''s, not the other way around.  When Tom Lowe acquired the rights AMT-Ertl tooling bank from RC2/Learning Curve aournd 2008 or so, to the best of my knowledge it included all of the original Ertl tools.  The article, btw for anyone interested, was in the December 2017 issue of the other mag and it was called "Ertl before AMT: The Kit History".   

Also, the John Deere 4430 tractor and 310 Backhoe Loader kits have been reissued in the recent decades, but I don't think they sold all that well, which is probably one of the reasons you haven't seen them in more recent times.  I would imagine that if Round 2 does do OK with the PayHauler, maybe some more of that old Ertl-orginated construction and farm tooling might see future reissues.

Hope that helps, at least a bit.  Best...TIM 

This is great news. Hope to pick one up this go round. Have the AMT bulldozer, Autocar dump truck, crew chief Chevy Blazer,  El Camino. Hope to start my own construction company,  lol. Now, just need the backhoe kit rebooted.

Jeff 

I hope round2 takes a chance with the farm equipment. I would like some but it's hard to find and expensive on the second market. I know the John Deere tractor was reissued, but having the plow or wagon also probably would have helped sales. I guess only time will tell if we get any.

8 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Alan....I wasn't the source of that info, at least to the best of my recollection. 

Remember that Ertl acquired the AMT tooling back in the early 1980''s, not the other way around.  When Tom Lowe acquired the rights AMT-Ertl tooling bank from RC2/Learning Curve aournd 2008 or so, to the best of my knowledge it included all of the original Ertl tools.  The article, btw for anyone interested, was in the December 2017 issue of the other mag and it was called "Ertl before AMT: The Kit History".   

Also, the John Deere 4430 tractor and 310 Backhoe Loader kits have been reissued in the recent decades, but I don't think they sold all that well, which is probably one of the reasons you haven't seen them in more recent times.  I would imagine that if Round 2 does do OK with the PayHauler, maybe some more of that old Ertl-orginated construction and farm tooling might see future reissues.

Hope that helps, at least a bit.  Best...TIM 

Hi Tim.

Are the 1/32 trucks (Mack SuperLiner, Ford LTL9000) AMT or ERTL? The boxes I have have AMT and ertl or matchbox on them. The Kenworth W900 was the last one rereleased and that’s a long time ago now. Hopefully we see them again.

Ben

6 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Hi Tim.

Are the 1/32 trucks (Mack SuperLiner, Ford LTL9000) AMT or ERTL? The boxes I have have AMT and ertl or matchbox on them. The Kenworth W900 was the last one rereleased and that’s a long time ago now. Hopefully we see them again.

Ben

Ben....those 1/32nd (and also the AMT 1/43rd) truck kits were all AMT-developed tools. 

The only original Ertl-tooled 1/32nd truck kit was #8050, an International Eagle COE with the new, larger grille design that incorporated the headlamps.....it was introduced around 1984 and featured the snap-fast assembly approach.  I don't recall the kit myself, and I suspect it did not sell particularly well when introduced.   

Thanks for the question...TIM 

8 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

I hope round2 takes a chance with the farm equipment. I would like some but it's hard to find and expensive on the second market. I know the John Deere tractor was reissued, but having the plow or wagon also probably would have helped sales. I guess only time will tell if we get any.

FWIW, all those farm tractor and farm implement kits were pictured in my article referenced above....might be worth digging out the mag to check it out....TIM 

14 hours ago, alexis said:

Thank You, Tim, for correcting my rusty memories. :)

I wish that the Tractors would come back someday.

Alan, you're welcome.  And I agree, for instance wouldn't it be way cool to see that Massey-Ferguson Tractor kit for sale again?  

TIM   

PS - check the thread on the AMT 1964 F-85 for the answer to your question on that (I think it was you who asked)….the answer is "yes".   TB  

9 hours ago, DZ7581 said:

I hope round2 takes a chance with the farm equipment.

I don't think that's possible. John G below is with Round2: 

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2224-whats-a-hanger-shot/#sthash.d8SrRYk8.khviMtK0.dpbs

eee998c3eb919ade55d0f507a4ea63ce?s=32&d=Andy says:

Do the International 1466, Plow or Farm Wagon molds still exist ?

• 3f026dcbd498b0646901a4a49aa15a31?s=32&d=JohnG says:

If they do, Round 2 doesn’t have access to those – any Ertl AG related tools were not a part of the tooling we bought.

Edited by Casey

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't think that's possible. John G below is with Round2: 

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2224-whats-a-hanger-shot/#sthash.d8SrRYk8.khviMtK0.dpbs

eee998c3eb919ade55d0f507a4ea63ce?s=32&d=Andy says:

Do the International 1466, Plow or Farm Wagon molds still exist ?

• 3f026dcbd498b0646901a4a49aa15a31?s=32&d=JohnG says:

If they do, Round 2 doesn’t have access to those – any Ertl AG related tools were not a part of the tooling we bought.

Casey, that's new news to me!  But John G. would be the subject matter expert....err...the one to definitely know the subject.     

And Alan, maybe this is where you heard about news about this subject....TB 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting subject to offer, wish they had some other stuff to run as I think this kit will sell limited quantities due to it's price, the size and subject matter. Nice to see some of the old stuff come back out but I would think they could find stuff with better selling potential.