Model Cars Magazine Forum

Colors close to Postal Blue and Coca Cola Red

I've been searching for the equivalents for these two colors for a while now, and I cannot find anything that tells me what are good approximates or matches in 1/25.  The closest I have so far is BNSF Blue.  But that only comes from one source, and I have never used that color before, so I want to get some opinions before I go spending money on paint I do not need.  I already have too much of that.  The Coca Cola red should be pretty universal for anything red with a Coke logo on it, but the Postal blue that I am looking for is for the DJ-5 carrier Jeeps: Jeep-dj5.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks for looking!

Scalefinishes lists Coca Cola red under their "Racing/Fleet Colors" section.  The owner is a great guy to deal with, and you can try contacting him about the USPS Blue color and I bet he can get some for you.  Here is a website with the paint code info that he might need:  https://usbrandcolors.com/usps-colors/

His paint needs to be airbrushed, you didn't mention if you wanted spray paints or if airbrushing would work.

Thanks, Leo64!  I'd prefer spray paint, but if it comes to airbrushing, I can do it that way, too.  I'll contact him.  I never ran across that website you posted.  I got something not even close from the USPS.  It gave the generic color names, but did not have any of the color codes.  I finally found the color codes for Santa Fe blue, and they aren't as close to USPS blue as I had thought.

gotnitro?, there is a website claiming they are one in the same.  I don't see it.

SfanGoch, I started Googling that FS number, and some other names that have started to jump out, and there seem to be many different colors that people are claiming to be the blue used by USPS.  I'm now wading through all of their proclamations and hoping for the best.  I DID find a Sherwin-Williams recipe from 1955, but I don't think that will help my cause :(  Thanks for all the help, and pointing me in the right direction!

Okay, here's the skinny on this color. I first checked with Rustoleum. Its Post Office Blue Paint, A212836830, was discontinued in 2012. Unobtainium; although listed by Wally World, Amazon, etc., nobody still has it in stock.  In a 1956 copy of "Procurement of Government Vehicles", the prescribed color was Sherwin-Williams Post Office Department Blue FIL-825. I called S-W Automotive Paints and was informed that the modern equivalent is S-W Dimensions U.S. Postal Service Blue 1657042. The rep said that you can go to a S-W auto paint dealer and it can be mixed. Right...like you have nothing better to do. An easier workaround is to get Pratt and Lambert 1137 Postal Blue Hedrix Fast Dry Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint,

image.png.28b462152911bae7c783a4def34b2e6f.png

available in 4.5 and 11 oz. cans. Other than those two options, you're officially Sierra Oscar Lima, over and out. :D

I use mostly Tamiya paints so my suggestions are based only on my personal experience. The Blue shade is close to their TS-15 Blue. In my opinion this shade would be at the dark side of the blue in the picture but only by a shade or two. The Red looks very close to their TS-49 Bright Red. There is also a TS-86 called Pure Red that is just a shade or two darker than the TS-49 color. They also offer a white, TS-26 Pure White that is a very bright White with no Blue tones to it. The link that Loe64 gave you should provide the most accurate color baseline.    

On 3/5/2020 at 1:13 PM, SfanGoch said:

Okay, here's the skinny on this color. I first checked with Rustoleum. Its Post Office Blue Paint, A212836830, was discontinued in 2012. Unobtainium; although listed by Wally World, Amazon, etc., nobody still has it in stock.  In a 1956 copy of "Procurement of Government Vehicles", the prescribed color was Sherwin-Williams Post Office Department Blue FIL-825. I called S-W Automotive Paints and was informed that the modern equivalent is S-W Dimensions U.S. Postal Service Blue 1657042. The rep said that you can go to a S-W auto paint dealer and it can be mixed. Right...like you have nothing better to do. An easier workaround is to get Pratt and Lambert 1137 Postal Blue Hedrix Fast Dry Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint,

available in 4.5 and 11 oz. cans. Other than those two options, you're officially Sierra Oscar Lima, over and out. :D

Wrap it up boys, case closed ???‍♂️