Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 GT3

NOBLNG

This kit is a very easy build since there is no engine to deal with and every thing fits nicely together. I am debating whether to paint the interior or leave it as I am not really a fan of black interiors. Color is Tamiya X-46 over red oxide primer.

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9841.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG

IMG_9844.JPG

Got a few coats of paint on the body. The pictures don't show the paint very well. I would describe it as a metallic copper-ish color. The earlier chassis pic probably shows it best.

IMG_9849.JPG

IMG_9850.JPG

IMG_9847.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

32 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

That's actually a colour pretty close to Porsche's Zanzibar Red, which was a standard colour on the 996 generation cars. 

If I had stuck with the x-46 red metallic and the white primer on the left, it would be pretty close.

B2F4BD4E-BA50-402D-96A8-7DDBEF89B1AB.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Got to work on the interior. I think a tan interior would have looked better, but that would mean painting everything! I decided to install the rear seats even though they are not called for in this version. I snipped a corner off the supplied carpet and found that it doesn't stretch much so I don't think it would conform well to the rear wheel wells. So I wound up doing my own carpet. I managed to tear the two rear speaker decals (thankfully not too noticeable) and the two Porsche-Recaro seat decals which it will have to do without now. 

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I had to drill out the rear rotors slightly and glue the rear wheels solid. I could live with a little negative camber, but they just would not sit straight! Fronts went on fine. The decals are all on, trim is painted and it is ready for clear as soon as the decals and tail light paint is dry. I want to decant some Testors clear lacquer to airbrush onto the wing before glueing it on. I think it would be tough to get a nice coat inside it after it’s in place.

E890C291-15C9-4FEC-B6ED-3DF4D5240089.jpeg

C9BD9DB2-79EE-4BE0-ACC4-05DAAF8BCC99.jpeg

068C6DC2-6D3C-4135-BB1C-96A53A1E0154.jpeg

86F121C8-D4A7-49DA-83DC-325F70A3F716.jpeg

BA8D3493-15AE-4F40-AB56-E14DED05EB23.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

10 minutes ago, Italianhorses said:

Looks good! Why didn't you use the carpet stickers provided in the kit? I thought they worked real well when I built mine.

I wanted to carpet the wheelwells also and didn’t think it would conform well. Also, it is a little light to go with a black interior. With the side windows installed, you really can’t see the interior very well. I may use the carpet on something else?

On 4/16/2020 at 9:03 PM, NOBLNG said:

I wanted to carpet the wheelwells also and didn’t think it would conform well. Also, it is a little light to go with a black interior. With the side windows installed, you really can’t see the interior very well. I may use the carpet on something else?

I never use the carpeting that comes with kits...flat stickers NEVER conform realistically enough, even when you cut multiple slits all over to "help" it conform, it still looks like a mad man went at your carpeting with sheers! -i like your choice!!