Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ambitious Scratch build Air Force C800 Deicer.

I took a short break from the De-Icer to work on my HDT RV hauler. But, I am back at it. I made some progress on the boom and turret. The turret involved several concentric rings to allow it all to hold together and still rotate. I added some bolts/nuts to the upper ring for detail. 

The boom is also in the works and I have the pivot box built too. I still need to add the hinge bosses and figure that all out, but I have an idea of how that will get there. Still moving forward. I should be able to get more done today. Working from home allows a lot of progress on these projects.

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

A little more work done. It is starting to look like something. I have a ton of work left to do on the doom, lot of hoses and plumbing, need to make the inner boom and the basket, etc. At least I can see the vision coming together. 

The boom swivels and the boom goes up and down. I think I will be building the hyd cylinder today. 

IMG_1094.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I need to get more done on this one today. I got the hydraulic cylinder built and installed and I built the basket for the operator to stand in. I have more details to add, but its a start. It is starting to look like something now. 

The boom does extend, the boom will rotate, and the basket swings and will pivot up and down at the end. I will post pictures of that at some point. 

3 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

WoW!  That pile of parts is sure taking shape. Looks great!

Thanks Sam I Am, I keep digging through the and fining things I can use. I do have one or two of the other kits I got from you in the works also. 

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your service! I served in the Air Force as a heavy equipment mechanic through the 80’s. The first semi I drove was a C600 with a flatbed. Spent many nights on the flight line making emergency repairs to all kinds of equipment. K-loaders, stair trucks, you name it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 6:01 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

Looking pretty nice.  Was the engine and pump for the de-icing equipment mounted in the very back in that area that has the grill?

Yes, it was. I think it was a small diesel engine.

I have been so busy at work I have not had a chance to work on it much.

• 1 month later...

Well, Work has had me away for a while and so bench time has been slim. However I am home this week so I got more done on the Deicer. Sometimes I suffer from build fatigue, or ADD and I peter out when the fine details are needed. However I am not ready to give up on this one yet. 

I have a bunch of little things to finish, like fine some headlights and wipers. I need to add a nozzle for the basket. Still need a little weathering and it will be done. So, here is the progress after paint and some details. The boom extends and goes up and down while rotating. 

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg