Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turn the clocks forward.

NYLIBUD

22 hours ago, espo said:

I which they would just split the difference and then leave it alone. Just set the clock ahead 1/2 an hour and then end this.  

I have an even better idea. 

Let's set the clocks ahead on Friday afternoon, say around 2:00 PM. B)

They can leave the "fall back" at Saturday night/Sunday morning, 'cause that works fine. B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I have an even better idea. 

Let's set the clocks ahead on Friday afternoon, say around 2:00 PM. B)

They can leave the "fall back" at Saturday night/Sunday morning, 'cause that works fine. B)

Ya I'd go with that idea. Not much gets done after lunch on a Friday in most companies anyway. 

3 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

Utah legislature just passed a bill leaving year-round DST.  Just waiting for the Feds to authorize such a move. How many other states have similar measures?

I wish that Massachusetts (well, it has to be all the New England states) would adopt this too.  The idea has been passed around for some time, but the politicians can't just agree to do it. It gets dark way too soon during the Winter.  Then of course there are people against it - they don't want their kids "going to school in the dark".  Really?! But even during standard time cycle, it is still dark in the morning, when kids go to school.

I also  don't get the big deal the news media makes about losing one hour once a year.  Come on, is it that bad?  It happens over the weekend, and if you dont' set your alarm clock to ake you up, you will simply sleep extra hour (your usual sleep pattern), and only lose one hour of wake time on Sunday.

I have worked night shift for about 20 years and I have to shift my sleep schedule by several hours twice a week. About the same as having jet lag when flying between Europe and U.S.  I deal with it, so I don't get this big hoopla about just one hour shift. 

35 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Because of DST, I missed this week's episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

I had the TV on myself at that time and instead of it, they showed the silly Land of the Giants.  But if we all had DST year around . . . ;)

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Because of DST, I missed this week's episode of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

Was it the episode where there's an incident of some sort, and David Hedison shouts "Damage Control! Make report!"? :lol:

Edited by Snake45

There is momentum building across the country to stop adjusting the clocks every six months.  Most proposals are to stay on DST year round.  As a kid, I remember the federal government required everyone to stay on DST year round to save energy.  This was I believe during the Ford administration.  One of the unintended consequences of this change was that a record number of kids got hit by cars going to school in the morning because it was dark.  Times may have changed with the way kids get to school now, but it is something that should be considered.

I for one would like to stop changing the clocks.  As I get older, I seem to have a tougher time adjusting to DST.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, Jim N said:

One of the unintended consequences of this change was that a record number of kids got hit by cars going to school in the morning because it was dark.  Times may have changed with the way kids get to school now, but it is something that should be considered.

With all the distracted drivers out there today (so many more than back then), and greater number of cars on the roads, kids need to be thought to expect the unexpected and be vigilant when going to school (regardless if it is daylight or dark).  Kids are thought from a young age that the world stops around then while they are on the way to school. But unfortunately things often do not work out that way.  But that is a subject for a different thread.