Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Golf GtI Mk 1

Rs27

Hello all

Let me please introduce myself, I am Raul. New here and posting for the first time. Very excited by this forum and looking forward to learning from you all and sharing my models and experience too. 

I used to build models as a kid, but took a long hiatus and trying to get back to the hobby. Started off with a Mk 1 Golf GTI from Revell. The subject was interesting as I own a Mk 6 GTI at present. The kit is a great one, quite detailed at level 4. The fit and engineering is great and the details made me realize how many styling cues the present GTIs share with this my 1. 

Here are some quick and dirty shots. Hope to make better ones some time.

Overall I enjoyed building this one and getting back to the hobby we all love. Now working on a Porsche 959.

Feedback and comments welcome.

B892D88D-5472-44D8-9A27-F6BEC8479D1E.jpeg

67DD761E-8CD6-49D0-AACB-797A0A61E452.jpeg

CC668420-17A8-4FAB-AA10-2E0F9227D5AC.jpeg

9D3596F4-07D6-4CCF-93E9-7E982B38864A.jpeg

8B843192-5910-42AE-A626-F3FFEB7120DD.jpeg

6B9DD40F-CC86-49AA-AD62-32A1318F6A5C.jpeg

546F378C-E51D-4788-97A8-237EA63E182B.jpeg

FDBD99CB-0ED6-4D4C-882B-2D5F10D2364D.jpeg

90F97460-B059-49EE-8090-2727982C3228.jpeg

Hello!  Off to a roaring start, that looks well done.  I wanted to get that kit, and when I offered a model for trade, got it!  I owned a '91 GLi some time ago, built the Revell kit of the Golf II, the engine among other things had much to be desired, so this kit looks really good.  I've built the Tamiya 959 in 3 flavors, the rear frame, engine and body assembly is tricky.

@89AKurt: Thank you for the kind words! Yes, true seeing the online builds of the Golf II did not seem very encouraging. This one I believe is a more recent kit (2014?), so quality is definitely better.  

The Tamiya 959 seems good except there seems to be a gaping gap between wheel well and body. Need to figure out how to close it. Putty after mating the two body half is going to be tricky. Seems like a really old kit probably from the 80s. 

Nice clean build Raul. Those are usually contest winners. Photos are nice too. Is that a Revell Germany kit?

On 3/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Very nice build. Raul! I especially like the H-licence plate, it will save a lot on insurance and taxes (but it should be at the front, too)!

Oliver, for those of us not living in Germany, what is the significance of the H?

10 hours ago, peteski said:

Oliver, for those of us not living in Germany, what is the significance of the H?

In Germany, cars which are older than 30 years and are factory stock or modified with period correct parts and techniques can be registered as a "historical" vehicle. That's why they have an "H" (for historic) on the license plates. If these cars were approved by the TÜV (Technical Supervisory Association) the owner gets privileges on taxes and insurance fees. The idea is that these cars are collector´s vehicles and are not supposed to be daily drivers. Usually they get a limited annual mileage of 20000km, so you are able to do test- and adjustment-rides and drive it to meetings or shows (from experience I know that nobody really controls for what purposes you drive it ?).

Greetings from Germany

15 hours ago, peteski said:

Nice clean build Raul. Those are usually contest winners. Photos are nice too. Is that a Revell Germany kit?

4 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

In Germany, cars which are older than 30 years and are factory stock or modified with period correct parts and techniques can be registered as a "historical" vehicle. That's why they have an "H" (for historic) on the license plates. If these cars were approved by the TÜV (Technical Supervisory Association) the owner gets privileges on taxes and insurance fees. The idea is that these cars are collector´s vehicles and are not supposed to be daily drivers. Usually they get a limited annual mileage of 20000km, so you are able to do test- and adjustment-rides and drive it to meetings or shows (from experience I know that nobody really controls for what purposes you drive it ?).

Greetings from Germany

Thank you Peteski for the kind words! Yes, this is the Revell kit. I think it is a fairly new die (2014) and the box states it has been officially certified and vetted by VW AG. I think the kit is quite authentic when I compared to the 1:1 car, except for a few color errors. It is far better than any Revell kit I have build in the past, even bettering many Tamiya kits in my opinion.  

Thanks Oliver for confirming what the 'H' stands for. I didn't have any idea what it stood for.

7 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Greetings from Germany

That makes sense - thanks for the explanation.  So the only difference from a standard license plate is the H.  In other European countries, the entire license plate looks different.  For example Poland has yellow plates with a picture of a vintage automobile.

PolishAntiqueLicense.jpg.e684ceb54190a732cb6eda7bdb2f9cfd.jpg

in USA, each state also has similar "classic" or "antique" plates with similar restrictions as in Germany.  Here are couple of examples. I hope Raul doesn't mind this OT diversion in his thread.

tx2003antique.jpg

2005-florida-antique-car-license-plate-f

0.jpg

Utah-Vintage-Vehicle-License-Plate-C-237

Edited by peteski