Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiat 131 Abarth

5 hours ago, kermn8r said:

Sorry JC, I don't have any photos of Goodwin's car.  I emailed a friend of mine to see if he has any.  Two of the factory cars were shipped to the US for the 1979 rally season.  Danny Goodwin got one for West Coast Rallies and Jim Walker got one to run the East coast Rallies.  The cars were in Alitalia livery with appropriate changes for identification for NARRA or SCCA Pro Rally.  f I did things right, there are a couple photos of Jim Walkers car from the 1979 20 Stages rally in Michigan.  If you click on "1978-79/" of the link below it will bring you to a directory of articles on the cars being brought over to the US.  If you click on "1980-81/" of the link you can find the "Car & Driver" and Road & Track" test drive articles of the cars.  The "Car & Driver" article has some interior and engine compartment photos.

http://www.realautosport.com/images/mcmahon/Rally Data/

Bummer about the engine size, but love the work going on.

Thank you very much for the info Walt. I know the Fiat/Lancia team cars completed in the Press on Regardless Rally for a few years in the mid 70s when it was part of the World Championship.

Having to scratch build most of the engine just adds to the fun!:)

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I notice that the familiar Abarth Scorpion badge did not seem to feature on these cars. Any particular reason?

The badge was typically displayed on the "C" pillar and occasionally on the steering wheel. 

fiat 81977 002 Jean-Claude Andruet - Michele Petit 28Biche29 Fiat 131 Abarth2C 2e mont 77fiat 34

"Abarth" appears several times including on the valve covers.

Fiat 131 Abarth - the schwab collection - vintage rally cars

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite part of the old R&T was the profile drawing. Now that I know in 1980 Walter Rohrl drove it, I'm more interested (Audi Quattro sooner than later project).  Funny about how wrong the engine is.  Looking good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Gary Davis said:

Man JC...That engine really looks good! I know you'll make it FIT!

I sure hope so Gary.  It will be a few weeks before I have it in my hands.  Its on backorder at the moment and coming from Spain.

13 hours ago, slusher said:

That is a great looking engine!

Kinda feels like cheating Carl, buying an engine that looks this good.:)

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

What happened to the engine you were scratch building?

It is still at the point of my last photos.  The effort required to build (2) of these engines kinda overwhelmed and I lost steam on the project.  I had also heard a 3D printed engine was in the works and knew my scratch built efforts would not stand up next to a printed engine.

Hoping the 3D printed engines will give me the boost I need to resume the projects.

DSCN7010-vi.jpg2v2Ht7vvdxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

17 hours ago, afx said:

I sure hope so Gary.  It will be a few weeks before I have it in my hands.  Its on backorder at the moment and coming from Spain.

Kinda feels like cheating Carl, buying an engine that looks this good.:)

You still have to detail it buddy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1