Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford C600/C800/C900 Front Seat

I am planning to start the AMT Ford C600 Delivery Van kit, and we all know that these are kits with an identity crisis.  The box can say either C600 or C900, but the cab says C800.  Oh, well.  Anyway, I was doing a little digging last night into photos & brochures of the Ford C-Series, and I discovered that the individual seats that come in the kit are actually only available (from the factory in the 1970s) in the diesel versions of the truck.  All gasoline versions of the C-Series had bench seats.  I pulled a spare bench seat out of my Revell 1957 Ford Gasser hit to see if it would work, but is was too narrow.  Does anyone know where I might find a more appropriate bench seat for my C-Series?

Thanks.

Here is what the bench seat should look like. I am building a C800 also and having the same issue with the seats. As of right now I have used several kit seats and cut them apart, glued them together to make a "Bench seat", but I am still working to make it look correct. It will take a minimum of 4 kit seats to make a full bench like the one shown. 

image.png.f6f23504355718b59d1cd47c87cae414.png

Edited by Oldmopars

Thanks for the pic, Scott.  I was hoping for a simpler solution, like taking it from a 1970s car model, as I don't have enough of those seats to go around.  Nor do I have the talent to actually do something like that.  It is an option, though.  Do you have any progress pics?

Jim, I had the same problem with my GMC 7500. Every seat that I found was too narrow, even 1/24 pickups. I made one out of styrene, then covered it with wide masking tape to give it a vinyl texture, then painted. I made a solid back seat, all you would have to do is make a split back seat. Mine is not perfect, but the process definitely works.

IMG_1282(1).jpg.ecc065bd2d688fef3aaeafee59d813f2.jpg

That sounds like the way to go.  The bench in the actual C-Series is probably the same that's in the actual F-Series.  Can't see Ford making too many truck seats that aren't interchangeable between models.

One of the issues with this seat is that the base needs to be fairly thin. The pick-up seats sat on tracks on the floor, the C series trucks had a high raised area due to it being over the engine. So, if you use a pick-up or car seat, you will need to cut a fair bit off the bottom to get it to be the right height. However, that should be easier than fabricating a new seat. I'm still working on using 4 kit seats to make one bench for my TM1800

Yeah Scott, I think if you knock a bit more that an 1/8" off the bottom of the F series seat, you'll get pretty close.  Your picture above gives a good idea of where the seat back height should be..  I just didn't want to cut all my parts up yet to see where everything needed to be.  The F-100 seat needs to be just a bit narrower also, to set down into the tub.  I don't have one of the AMT's to check, it might drop right in..

Actually, the bench seat from the AMT 1960 Chevrolet Fleetside pickup doesn't fit too badly.  The bottom will need to be shaved down some, though.  Now I just need to find a spare as the one in the photo is destined for the 1960 Chevrolet Fleetside.

20200313_170524.jpg

7 hours ago, Jim B said:

Actually, the bench seat from the AMT 1960 Chevrolet Fleetside pickup doesn't fit too badly.  The bottom will need to be shaved down some, though.  Now I just need to find a spare as the one in the photo is destined for the 1960 Chevrolet Fleetside.

20200313_170524.jpg

That's pretty close.  looks like a good fit.

I solved the issue of the seat with 4 kit seats. I cut the sides off of 2 of the seats, and 1 side off 2 seats and glued them all together to create one bench seat. I then puttied it up and sanded it so that the surfaces would be smooth and then applied some masking tape before painting it black. I plan to rub it down with either some oil or future to add just a little shine. 

By doing it this way I was able to keep the seat the stock size and have it fit the cab correctly. As you can see from the picture I posted above, the seats were never very tall or thick. Using stock kit seats helped me maintain the original size ratio. 

IMG_4071.jpg

7 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I solved the issue of the seat with 4 kit seats. I cut the sides off of 2 of the seats, and 1 side off 2 seats and glued them all together to create one bench seat. I then puttied it up and sanded it so that the surfaces would be smooth and then applied some masking tape before painting it black. I plan to rub it down with either some oil or future to add just a little shine. 

By doing it this way I was able to keep the seat the stock size and have it fit the cab correctly. As you can see from the picture I posted above, the seats were never very tall or thick. Using stock kit seats helped me maintain the original size ratio. 

IMG_4071.jpg

Perfect!!