Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '29 Ford Roadster PU

Digging through my AMT '65 Grand Prix, looking for tires that might work for the wheels that came with the '29, I picked some that at least initially looked great and fit like a glove.

A28RQn.jpg

Two problems though, the whitewall side that I think I'd have preferred, has the whitewalls printed asymmetrically, making this side utterly worthless. (This is common with every single tire in this kit, though some are somewhat slightly better than others, but still all very Three Stooges like.)

6sB1TO.jpg

The second problem, and perhaps the worst of the two, is that the blackwall side, is larger in diameter than the whitewall side, making all of the tires that came with the GP, utterly and completely useless. Looks like I'll keep digging for more tires.

kQ5yce.jpg

4 minutes ago, James2 said:

Built this kit a couple times. Will enjoy watching yours...

I built it once too (though it took me three kits to actually get it finished), and I want to go a bit extra on this one now. After this (and a '32 Ford Phaeton), it's back to curbside and nothing but curbside for this old boy.

14 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Looks like a nice little kit. Can’t wait to see it done!

Thanks. It certainly has some strong points, but as with many car models it seems, it also has its fair share of issues. I'll just muddle through, best as I can.

Doing some spoon tests here, trying to determine what blue I want to use for my Phaeton, as well as a Ferrari Enzo. Spoon on the left is Tamiya clear blue over Testors diamond dust. Spoon on the right is Tamiya clear orange over the same Testors diamond dust, for a '40 Willys that I'm also currently working on. Neither has been clear coated nor polished, as these are just for color selection. The orange is not going to make it for the Willys, but may come in useful on some future car model project.

uLQ3lj.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Curiosity and impatience won out, so I went ahead and clear coated and polished all of my current samples, just to get a better understanding of their final appearance (or at least that’s what I told myself). The third spoon (on the far right), is Testors metalflake blue enamel over Tamiya white lacquer primer, with Testors clear lacquer on top. Right now I’m leaning heavily toward the clear blue over diamond dust for the Phaeton, but still have plenty more experimentation to do, and plenty of time to do it.

S6fdZR.jpg

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Thanks, Bill. I found excellent tires for the front wheels, but the rear tires are being a bit more elusive. My stash is fairly small, so parts are more difficult to come by.

What style of build are you going for? Maybe I can help you out with rear tires. Send me a PM.

It's been so long since I built a car model engine, that I completely forgot certain basics, one of which is to make sure that things are square. Given the sometimes extreme draft angles of the injection parts provided in a lot of car models, certain items frequently need to be squared off before assembly. In this case, I did remember to square up the tunnel ram, but not the top of the block itself. As a consequence, the tunnel ram perches on a pitched block top that will now require some filler to make look right, or at least OK, and could have been easily resolved beforehand, but was not. Live and learn, I guess.

EK1r9l.jpg

Yet another painting experiment, this time Tamiya clear blue over Testors icy blue. There was rather surprisingly almost no shift at all, but I still think it looks nice, though I also think it’s a bit too flaky for 1:24/1:25 scale, but will probably work out great on a big ol’ 1:16 scale kit, and I’ll be snatching the big Bel Air kit very soon, so may well go this route with that.

f45XDm.jpg

Chassis is now as far along as I intend to take it, aside from scraping a few more relatively minor seams. If the lack of total clean-up hurts me in competition, so be it. Exhaust pipes will be added later, as I intend to paint them an aluminum color, or just use tubing, not real sure yet. Thoughts?

pWfT71.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And yet more spoon tests, this time Tamiya clear red over Testors diamond dust (on the left), and Tamiya clear red over Testors icy blue, on the right (almost a cranberry color now), both clear coated and polished. To be quite honest, I really like both very much and have now recorded them in my spreadsheet for future projects that are sure to come up. Thoughts?

SJdnWq.jpg

All of the colors you have been playing with look good, but the two clear Reds are my favorites. The Red over Blue is the most interesting to me anyway. Reminds me of a color they used to refer to as Brandywine. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

All of the colors you have been playing with look good, but the two clear Reds are my favorites. The Red over Blue is the most interesting to me anyway. Reminds me of a color they used to refer to as Brandywine. 

Thanks a bunch. I actually looks way better in person, just doesn't photograph well.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:40 PM, junkyardjeff said:

I built one a couple years ago and those 70s wheels and tires had to go

I actually like the wheels, it's the tires that are really lame.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:37 PM, Sam I Am said:

This has been a trip down the lane for me. Built two as a kid, even have a part or two leftover. I also just traded for a pretty clean built up, so I can have a third try at it. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

I may end up grabbing another too, and very soon. I'm not at all happy with the Tamiya green I'm using, and may well change the color scheme to something else. It is a trip down the lane though, as I built a nice one a few years back, or at least I thought it was nice.

Y4exTG.jpg