Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where can I find these wheels (69 Charger)

39 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Is this the original General Lee that was pulled out of the woods?

yes its Lee 1 which is in the opening credits that jumps off the dirt pile at the college

the wheels in the first 2 pics are just some old aluminum slots that were painted gold when they were touring the car around before the restoration, should be easier to find they was very popular maybe these would work

http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-076.jpg

tv episode car had a wide steel slot style wheel notice the thickness of the wheel lip and the slot openings, maybe some old dirt track kit

Edited by 440 Dakota

The dished slot wheels started getting popular in the mid to late '60's and while produced by many wheel manufactures at that time the Ansen Sprints were the most copied. I had a set on my '67 El Camino. I found some nice ones in the Studebaker Avanti kit. The wheels could be had in either a Machined finish or Polished. Some companies started offering the same basic design but in a Chrome finished Steel wheel. This in time proved to have a cracking issue between the Lug Holes. The bolt circle area was flat and there for not as strong as an OEM Steel wheel that had provisions for mounting center hub cap that would cover the lug nuts. The OEM design adds strength to the lug nut area.  

AMT '32 Ford Vicky and Phaeton kits had nice sets of the aluminum style ones. 

AMT '65 Riviera and the Silhouette showcar both have a set of Astro Customs that are very similar to the stamped steel ones.

Also, Pegasus has supposedly just released a couple new style of wheels with the Ansen Sprints being one of the new styles, 

There have been many many kits with slotted dish wheels on the late '60s and '70s. A very common style. Just a matter pf tracking some down.  

I even have a couple sets in my parts box myself.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:45 AM, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

Where can I find these wheel hubs in 1/25?  

zurHySJ.jpg

EHNxAxm.jpg

Vehicle used extra-wide tires on the TV episode (see next 2 pics); planning on using the ones in the MPC Dodge Monaco, maybe....

qzE4wFs.jpg

cqUa0AN.jpg

Are you planning on building this car? If so, I can't wait to see it & I hope you do it "on the workbench" so we can all watch it come together.