Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models that "set the bar higher", examples wanted

In another thread, someone mentioned car models that were kicked up a notch. I'd really like to see some samples from car model contests where the model is thought to be one of these "raise the bar" models. I'd also like to know your opinion as to what makes the model (or models) so special, in your own view.

Thanks, fellas, this might just be some real fun.

16 minutes ago, afx said:

Haven't seen this build in person but this 1:8 scale Porsche 935/78 sets the bar pretty darn high.  

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1075623

IMG_6485_zpsnzyrddzb.jpgmoby1188_zpsapaipsrq.jpg

Followed this from start to finish. Truly the most insane build I have ever seen. Literally scratch built from nothing. Pretty incredible

One that I always thought raised the bar was Phil "Tidewater Trucker" Jensen's mostly scratchbuilt Ohio George's Malco Gasser Mustang (before the MPC kit appeared), which was covered in a VERY detailed article in CAR MODEL magazine back in the day. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to purchase this very model on eBay about a year ago, in need of some repair and restoration. I'm hoping to get to it sometime soon; I'm very proud and humbled to be its current custodian. 

67MustangMalco03.jpg.71cdc4a076b9064d695ec14889403a9b.jpg

67MustangMalco04.jpg.b29e9ef2d90a5950ec0af2d49e13a6ed.jpg

67MustangMalco07.jpg.1d3254b7005b62cdbd1d143ab920b3f3.jpg

This one right here.  Built totally from scratch, and the engine even runs.  This one sets the bar so high, we can't even see the bar.  At best, we can dimly grasp the theoretical existence of a bar.

Duesenberg_01_800-700x473.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/01/20/keep-repeating-this-isnt-real/

EDIT:  And here's a shot of the engine in action.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Couldn’t find much online about it from a quick search - but it looks COOL!

6253BBF4-7CA9-4510-AABE-666DBEECDEA7.jpeg.02f36a17efba5d09de82dece0d2d1220.jpeg

THAT kit (and its companion Charger) by Keeler are especially amazing when one considers the compleate picture . Scale Auto ran a comprehensive article on both cars , and the story behind them and their construction . I cannot do the article any justice ---- I just wish that I could remember which month it appeared in originally ( one of the 1988 issues is all that I can recall ) . 

14 hours ago, CabDriver said:

AWESOME!  Thanks for the link - I’m going to read that now!

Here is the four part article published in 1969 by Car Model Magazine , Jim Keeler built this Dodge Fever II specifically as a WIP for the magazine .  This really shows how much work went into building the winning model and why it's always considered one of benchmark models of all time .

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/misc-/magazine-articles/dodge-fever-ii-wip-/

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

One that I always thought raised the bar was Phil "Tidewater Trucker" Jensen's mostly scratchbuilt Ohio George's Malco Gasser Mustang (before the MPC kit appeared), which was covered in a VERY detailed article in CAR MODEL magazine back in the day. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to purchase this very model on eBay about a year ago, in need of some repair and restoration. I'm hoping to get to it sometime soon; I'm very proud and humbled to be its current custodian. 

67MustangMalco03.jpg.71cdc4a076b9064d695ec14889403a9b.jpg

67MustangMalco04.jpg.b29e9ef2d90a5950ec0af2d49e13a6ed.jpg

67MustangMalco07.jpg.1d3254b7005b62cdbd1d143ab920b3f3.jpg

Back in those times more people did more scratchbuilding no aftermarket stuff to use to use alot stuff around the house to do it

Back in the day I can remember from the one or two copies of CAR MODEL that I managed to get over here in the UK was Don Emmons  'Detail For Real' articles. No photo etched or resin after market stuff about back in those days! The Uncertain T by Monogram was a new release back then and one of the magazines I had had a feature one car itself and a conversion article to make it into a customised milk truck.

13 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

This one right here.  Built totally from scratch, and the engine even runs.  This one sets the bar so high, we can't even see the bar.  At best, we can dimly grasp the theoretical existence of a bar.

Duesenberg_01_800-700x473.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/01/20/keep-repeating-this-isnt-real/

EDIT:  And here's a shot of the engine in action.

This one is on display and the Joe Martin Craftsmanship museum(formerly the Sherline museum) in Vista, Ca.  It is truly a wonder.  

58 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Here is the four part article published in 1969 by Car Model Magazine , Jim Keeler built this Dodge Fever II specifically as a WIP for the magazine .  This really shows how much work went into building the winning model and why it's always considered one of benchmark models of all time .

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/misc-/magazine-articles/dodge-fever-ii-wip-/

Amazing!  This board is the best for people having stuff you’d never see otherwise!  Thanks for posting bud!

41 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

This was my build that took best auto and IPMS Nationals in Phoenix in 2010

DSCN0026.jpg (2).jpg

1st 935 Left front.jpg.jpg

DSCN0032.TIF.jpg

DSCN0034 (2).TIF.jpg

BEST AUTO.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSCN0090.TIF.jpg

DSCN0095.TIF.jpg

Yep, that qualifies as KILLER, topic can be closed own now because I'm jealous.  ? 

28 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That’s an OUTSTANDING build - absolutely stunning!  Just the kind of thing I was hoping to see in this thread! What scale is that?

I'm betting the 1/12 Tamiya.

One for me that sticks out is Doug Whytes 1953 Stude...

I remember reading, and re-reading the magazine features on this build in my early to mid-teens.  (93-95?)

It was a major inspiration for me, its the reason I have a lathe, a vacuum-former, and quite possibly a small part in my decision to pursue a career in automotive design.

I was luckily enough to see it in person at the 40th Toledo NNL after party, as well as talk over its intricacy's with Doug himself.  (you can actually see the previously mentioned Dodge Fever in the background, that sure was an amazing event)

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg