Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Twilight Zone

Good evening,

I don't do fantasy, or "what if" cars too often. When the AMT Digger 'Cuda was reissued, I grabbed a couple of them. When this kit came out, oh, about '71 I built it. When it got issued, of course I wanted another shot at it. The following short story about how the car came about is as follows.

All names are fictitious, and came from my moth eaten brain.

Vincent Tomolini, better known as "Vinny" buy his friends was a well to do boy now in his early twenties, who lived in Cranston, Rhode Island. His dad Vincent Sr. owned seven jewelry stores throughout the New England area, and was well respected in his community. 

Vinny was attending UMASS, and stayed at a frat house there. He would travel home for the weekends so he could go drag racing with his '70 Chevelle 396 at Connecticut or New England Dragway. He enjoyed tearing up the car at the track with his buddies but, for Vinny, something was missing. Oh sure, banging that 4 speed was a hoot but, the speed, the speed just wasn't there. Vinny wanted to go much faster. Faster than he's ever been, and the match race circuit just may be the ticket.

The following weekend when Vinny was once again home, he had a talk with his dad. He explained to his dad what he wanted to do. Vincent Sr. sat back in his chair, and thought. He always wanted to have his children take over the business sooner or later since he was getting on in years, and he wanted to enjoy whatever years he did have left with his wonderful wife. 

Vincent Sr. sat back up in his chair and said, "I'll tell you what Vincent. Your grades are not the greatest, but, if you can graduate college with honors, I'll grant your wish. BUT, only for two racing seasons, and then give it up, and help me in the business."

Vinny stood up and extended his hand. Dad stood up, and they shook on it, and then Vinny hugged his dad. Vincent Sr. said " I want only the best equipment in the car you're having built. Is that clear?" Vinny nodded. With a turn, Vincent Sr. left saying something about breaking the news to his wife.

That night Vinny, and his two best friends Mike, and Dave hit the local bar and hash out a plan, and to celebrate. His buddy Dave was an excellent artist, and he sketched out a wild car on a napkin. They all talked with excited vioces as Dave drew. The sketch was based on a '70 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Mike piped up and said Vinny, FIRST you have to graduate, and with honors to boot! Vinny said, "yeah, I know." So instead of going home on the weekends, Vinny spent the time studying, and working hard to achieve his goal. When graduation came around, Vinny did graduate, and with honors! Vincent Sr, couldn't have been more proud of his boy.

With his dad's words in his head, "only the best equipment". Vinny set out to have a car built with people like Don Long, Ed Pink,  to do the project. The fiberglass body would be built by his uncle who owned Newport marine in Newport Rhode Island.  The body was shipped to none other than Don Kirby for paint. Mike asked Vinny what are you going to call it? Well, we can't really call it a funnycar, or really a dragster. Kind of a nether car. Dave said, "hey what about The Twilight Zone", which was one of Dave's favorite shows. The name stuck. The car was completed over the winter of 1970. It was a stunner. When Vinny's mom saw it, she nearly fainted. Vincent Sr. reassured her the boy will be OK since it had the lastest, and best safety equipment. 

The shake down runs were made at Connecticut Dragway by none other than Jimmy King of King & Marshall fame. The following weekend Vinny obtained his fuel license, and the rest is history. The car was flat out booked for two seasons across the country. After the two seasons, the car was sold, and Vinny now works side by side with his father in the jewelry business.

The model kit - The clam shell design body, (which I never really liked), was glued together, and the body can flip up. The body is hand lettered which also includes the opening segment of The Twilight Zone show in black and white. There's many scratch built parts. This car I really enjoyed building.

Thanks,

Guy  

Twilight Zone .jpg

Twilight Zone 3.jpg

Twilight Zone 4.jpg

Twilight Zone 5.jpg

Twilight Zone 1.jpg

Twilight Zone 2.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!

That is just awesome, probably my favorite take on this kit.

Love the back story too. Reminds me of my favorite feature builder from the old Car Model magazine, Hank Borger.

His articles were always entertaining along with being informative.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, Guy Beaudette said:

Good evening,

I don't do fantasy, or "what if" cars too often. When the AMT Digger 'Cuda was reissued, I grabbed a couple of them. When this kit came out, oh, about '71 I built it. When it got issued, of course I wanted another shot at it. The following short story about how the car came about is as follows.

All names are fictitious, and came from my moth eaten brain.

Vincent Tomolini, better known as "Vinny" buy his friends was a well to do boy now in his early twenties, who lived in Cranston, Rhode Island. His dad Vincent Sr. owned seven jewelry stores throughout the New England area, and was well respected in his community. 

Vinny was attending UMASS, and stayed at a frat house there. He would travel home for the weekends so he could go drag racing with his '70 Chevelle 396 at Connecticut or New England Dragway. He enjoyed tearing up the car at the track with his buddies but, for Vinny, something was missing. Oh sure, banging that 4 speed was a hoot but, the speed, the speed just wasn't there. Vinny wanted to go much faster. Faster than he's ever been, and the match race circuit just may be the ticket.

The following weekend when Vinny was once again home, he had a talk with his dad. He explained to his dad what he wanted to do. Vincent Sr. sat back in his chair, and thought. He always wanted to have his children take over the business sooner or later since he was getting on in years, and he wanted to enjoy whatever years he did have left with his wonderful wife. 

Vincent Sr. sat back up in his chair and said, "I'll tell you what Vincent. Your grades are not the greatest, but, if you can graduate college with honors, I'll grant your wish. BUT, only for two racing seasons, and then give it up, and help me in the business."

Vinny stood up and extended his hand. Dad stood up, and they shook on it, and then Vinny hugged his dad. Vincent Sr. said " I want only the best equipment in the car you're having built. Is that clear?" Vinny nodded. With a turn, Vincent Sr. left saying something about breaking the news to his wife.

That night Vinny, and his two best friends Mike, and Dave hit the local bar and hash out a plan, and to celebrate. His buddy Dave was an excellent artist, and he sketched out a wild car on a napkin. They all talked with excited vioces as Dave drew. The sketch was based on a '70 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Mike piped up and said Vinny, FIRST you have to graduate, and with honors to boot! Vinny said, "yeah, I know." So instead of going home on the weekends, Vinny spent the time studying, and working hard to achieve his goal. When graduation came around, Vinny did graduate, and with honors! Vincent Sr, couldn't have been more proud of his boy.

With his dad's words in his head, "only the best equipment". Vinny set out to have a car built with people like Don Long, Ed Pink,  to do the project. The fiberglass body would be built by his uncle who owned Newport marine in Newport Rhode Island.  The body was shipped to none other than Don Kirby for paint. Mike asked Vinny what are you going to call it? Well, we can't really call it a funnycar, or really a dragster. Kind of a nether car. Dave said, "hey what about The Twilight Zone", which was one of Dave's favorite shows. The name stuck. The car was completed over the winter of 1970. It was a stunner. When Vinny's mom saw it, she nearly fainted. Vincent Sr. reassured her the boy will be OK since it had the lastest, and best safety equipment. 

The shake down runs were made at Connecticut Dragway by none other than Jimmy King of King & Marshall fame. The following weekend Vinny obtained his fuel license, and the rest is history. The car was flat out booked for two seasons across the country. After the two seasons, the car was sold, and Vinny now works side by side with his father in the jewelry business.

The model kit - The clam shell design body, (which I never really liked), was glued together, and the body can flip up. The body is hand lettered which also includes the opening segment of The Twilight Zone show in black and white. There's many scratch built parts. This car I really enjoyed building.

Thanks,

Guy  

Twilight Zone .jpg

Twilight Zone 3.jpg

Twilight Zone 4.jpg

Twilight Zone 5.jpg

Twilight Zone 1.jpg

Twilight Zone 2.jpg

Hi!

Just curious... are you the Guy who had a great Keeling & Clayton T/F in an old ('94?) issue of SAE Contest car? The caption mentionned that if so, you were then a resident of the "east coast"... 

Regards,

CT

On 3/24/2020 at 3:02 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Just curious... are you the Guy who had a great Keeling & Clayton T/F in an old ('94?) issue of SAE Contest car? The caption mentionned that if so, you were then a resident of the "east coast"... 

Regards,

CT

Claude Thibodeau,

Yes Claude. West Warwick, Rhode Island. I now live in Texas. Nice of you to remember.

Guy

1 hour ago, Guy Beaudette said:

Claude Thibodeau,

Yes Claude. West Warwick, Rhode Island. I now live in Texas. Nice of you to remember.

Guy

Hi!

Thanks for the answer... I guess it means that even if there is a "JR" at the end of your name, you are not a young pup, and have been at it for a while... Like I suspect most of us old guys! Great to see that you still have the passion for fine modeling. 

Wish you many more years of fun with styrene!

Regards, 

CT