Model Cars Magazine Forum

virus cancellations

DON'T PANIC!!! 

I think it is too late for that.  It seems the media and those feeding information to the media have already started a panic.  When all form of societal life closes down, then we are in a real panic.  Ace already mentioned the deaths from obesity.  Every morning when I get into my car to go to work or come home from work I expect I will do just that, yet traffic fatalities reach the thousands every year.  What has happened to our faith in our fellow man  or in GOD (however you want to describe Him) so that everything will be alright.  This virus will be figured out as soon as enough money has been thrown at research and pharmaceutical industry.  What will eventually come out of this is that we will realize how easily we can be duped into a raging panic.  Soapbox out.

30 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

DON'T PANIC!!! 

I think it is too late for that.  It seems the media and those feeding information to the media have already started a panic.  When all form of societal life closes down, then we are in a real panic.  Ace already mentioned the deaths from obesity.  Every morning when I get into my car to go to work or come home from work I expect I will do just that, yet traffic fatalities reach the thousands every year.  What has happened to our faith in our fellow man  or in GOD (however you want to describe Him) so that everything will be alright.  This virus will be figured out as soon as enough money has been thrown at research and pharmaceutical industry.  What will eventually come out of this is that we will realize how easily we can be duped into a raging panic.  Soapbox out.

I agree.In my area,everything closes at 8 pm.Im not locking myself in the house,no way...

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Interesting that the coronavirus hysteria is affecting everything, but that the NIH estimates around 300,000 deaths are caused each year in the USA alone by obesity, and people continue to shovel down calories like there's going to be no food tomorrow.

Exercising some self-discipline would save a lot more lives than running in circles terrified about some bug, and buying up all the toilet paper.

Oh...sorry. That would require a little rational thought. Never mind.

https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

The only difference is, if I go out and regularly  ram four cheeseburgers down my throat, there is no way I can breathe on you and make you obese. 

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

The only difference is, if I go out and regularly  ram four cheeseburgers down my throat, there is no way I can breathe on you and make you obese. 

Yeah, but the grossly-fat-is-beautiful culture has much the same effect. When dangerously overweight is promoted as "healthy" and accepted as a "lifestyle choice" and dressed up in phrases like "self acceptance" and "body positivity", the whole society's health suffers...and medical costs soar for those of us who choose to not look like hippos too.

And if you want to talk about contagion...The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 22,000 deaths, 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations. The 2019-2020 influenza outbreak is moderate to low in overall severity, but hospitalization rates are high among children and young adults.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I agree.In my area,everything closes at 8 pm.Im not locking myself in the house,no way...

Relive the golden days of your untamed youth. Grab a couple friends,

image.png.f3940166e3fa8a87bb33839032a96090_a.jpg.81627fe24b09ce2b7e9ff82a98ec568c.jpg

get a case or ten, bring your 1970s vintage Sanyo Boombox

image.png.74f931110b8b035dda9dfd99bd059788.png

and hang out in the park listening to some Led Zep. Make sure you kick the lamp post kickplate out to plug in the boombox.

Party hearty, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Edited by SfanGoch

19 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Party hearty, maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Is there anyone you don't pick on? You kinda got me with that one, duuuuuuude   :lol:

Get this, guys.... The local schools have closed down, but they are cooking meals at the school and delivering them to the home-bound students! Does that not seem like a bad idea?

It's like this, I'm an equal opportunity chop buster. :D  Crack wise across the board and nobody can ever accuse you of singling out a particular group. Besides, I am in the dazed and confused demographic pictured in that photo. Check out the Lil' Abners the dude on the far left is wearing and the suede Addidas the one in the middle has. Those had a tendency to dye your white tube socks and feet blue when they got wet while you were hanging out during a rainstorm.

We postponed NNL East to September 26. Basically New Jersey is closed.

My daughter in NJ is teaching first grade in  Google Meeting online app.

I was in Walmart in Pennsylvania yesterday and it was fine. Workers were stocking shelves, we saw toilet paper and were able to get everything we needed.

We are in uncharted territory here. Just go with the government recommendations, and everyone be safe.

The Lovely Mrs. Snake was summoned for jury duty this week. When we called the appointed number Friday night, the message said that court had been cancelled for this week, and she would be rescheduled for some unspecified future date. With any luck, it'll be sometime in Nevertober. B)

Definitely a big win for mindless panic over well-informed and reasoned behavior on the part of the majority. Why am I not at all surprised?

Latest twist: the parking lot outside my local Publix was littered with hundreds of disposable gloves. Reminded me of a run of Coney Island whitefish.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Maybe they'll use online proceedings like schools are doing. Use ? to acquit, ? to convict, ? for a hung jury and ? for mistrial due to bribing a juror.

They could call it The Peephole's Court. :lol:

They have closed the schools until further notice. The Bank has Emailed us that they no longer have Lobby Hours. Lots of luck getting into your Lock Box there. Restaurants are closing or drive up window only. Had to go out to buy a new Refrigerator yesterday before they closed. We walked into what is probably the busiest furniture store in the metro area and you could fire a cannon through the place and not hit a soul.  Went to my Allergist yesterday for my weekly distemper shoot. You can't sit down and you have to wait outside in your car after your shot instead of the waiting room. Now they're delaying some local elections and primaries also. 

I will not get into the who-what-why theories, but whatever this Covid thing is it seems to be quite serious at this point. Regarding this cancellations topic, in the past 48 hours Europe has cancelled virtually everything.

Schools, universities and other educational institutions have been closed since the beginning of the week.

Just yesterday the European football (soccer) championship, which was to be by far the biggest sporting event in Europe this summer, has been postponed by a year. The finishing stage of the currently ongoing Champions league season has been postponed by at least a month, and many national championship seasons in most sports are being annulled in countries throughout Europe. The Eurovision song contest has been cancelled, as well all major concerts, festivals, exhibitions and fairs, including the Geneva motor show. As for models, the biggest automotive modelling contest in Europe, the Jabbeke event in Belgium, has also been called off. As of tomorrow, all bars, restaurants, museums, theatres, cinemas, gyms and such public places across the continent will be shut until further notice. Europe has now apparently become an epicentre of this outbreak, and currently the most critical area in the north of Italy is only a couple hundred miles from where I am sitting now. And while I realize that watching football and drinking beer are far from the most important things in life, I cannot help but ponder whether this widespread shutdown will rapidly extend to other domains that are more relevant for day-to-day life, and have a significant long-term economic impact on pretty much everyone and everything we took for granted until just about this time yesterday. That said, everyone's health is without doubt a matter of utmost importance in this whole story, so here's to hoping that these quite drastic measures - the extent of which has never been seen before as far as I know, will contribute to resolving this situation as quickly and effectively as possible. Kind regards from Croatia. Matija.

Edited by PowerPlant

On 3/17/2020 at 1:23 PM, JollySipper said:

The local schools have closed down, but they are cooking meals at the school and delivering them to the home-bound students! Does that not seem like a bad idea?

A lot of those kids don't really get meals anywhere except at school, even though the parent(s) are usually on assistance, and are home all day, and already get the assistance with the naive notion that it might actually be used to help feed the kids...

This is a photo (taken yesterday by the N.Y. Daily News) of the fun, frolicking and highjinks taking place at McCarren Park, located in my ancestral neighborhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Aside from the now-cancelled Spring Break activities in Florida, this has to be one of the larger mass groupings of Darwin Award candidates.

image.png.f1c0091c6c8bfdc7f976ab8965dbe364.png

On 3/21/2020 at 3:52 PM, SfanGoch said:

This is a photo (taken yesterday by the N.Y. Daily News) of the fun, frolicking and highjinks taking place at McCarren Park, located in my ancestral neighborhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Aside from the now-cancelled Spring Break activities in Florida, this has to be one of the larger mass groupings of Darwin Award candidates.

image.png.f1c0091c6c8bfdc7f976ab8965dbe364.png

The problem is that while these "free spirits" will likely not have any serious problems from contracting COVID-19, but then they will inadvertently end up (just by community transmission)  infecting dozen others, an so on, and so forth. Some of those infected by those clueless yootz will be seniors or other people with compromised immunity, who will end up dying.  But those idiots aren't really thinking that far ahead.  All they think of its themselves, and nothgin else matters.  My GF's take is that young people do no fully develop the part of their brain responsible for reasoning and decision making until mid 20s.