Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi everyone! I am new here and have not built a kit for quite a few years now but love models. Recently someone has been looking for a rare kit and I just happen to have it so would like help finding a fair market value for the kit in question. The kit is the revel of germany kit of the "can do" wrecker kit #7541 put out in 1992. it has only been opened once with everything still in the bags inside complete and unstarted. I am seeing all kinds of prices online and have no idea what is fair so would appreciate some help from people in the know. Thank you in advance! 

revell-25-peterbilt-wrecker-7541_360_89503a3de6206abee43b40d4d33db317.jpg

Edited by djrocs88
to insert picture

There are a lot of really high buy it now prices but realistically you're looking at $150-$200. You've got some box wear so this is a builder grade kit but these earlier issues have a bit less flash than the newer ones and the original decals which some people want. I sold the newer issue with the blue truck on the box for $150 last year.

The Revell AG truck kits are the most expensive truck kits on ebay and the "Can-Do, "Will-Do" and the Bill Signs "Clydes II" kits tops the list and has done for a long time.
There are two 1992 issues of the "Can-Do" there right now with asking prices of $575.00 and $720.00, and two 1993 issues of the same kit with asking prices of $460.00 and $475.00.
There are also two of the "Will-Do" reissue from 2013 on ebay now wich is the same kit as the "Can-Do" except for the decals, and they have asking prices of $430.00 and $450.00.
There are two 1994 issues of the Bill Signs kit there right now too and asking price for them is $350.00 and $500.00, I also saw one 2010 issue of the same kit and asking price for that is $325.00.
So they are not cheap...but these are asking prices and if they will sell for that is questionable.

What a realistic price is for the first issue of the "Can-Do" I don't really know, it depends on what the buyers are prepaired to pay for the kit and how desirable it is...and they are for sure desirable.
I have two of the "Can Do" kits and one "Will Do" kit and I can say I didn't pay nearly as much when I bought them...for the prices they ask now on ebay I'll pass.:rolleyes:

Edited by Force

Yes, I've been watching them on eBay for few years.  The prices are usually insane (even for partially started or incomplete kits.  As others said, there are few currently listed on eBay.

I built (and fully illuminated) one of these about 25 years ago.

57-01_150_zpslokkhb51.jpg

On 3/16/2020 at 12:32 PM, Sergey said:

Well done, Peter! How have you illuminated flagstaff tops?

Thanks guys!  That was a quite a project.  Back when I built it, I took some photos (this was before digital cameras, so I took 35mm film photos) and I wrote an article about it. Sent it to FineScale Modeler Magazine and they accepted and purchased the article, but they never published it.

As for the clearance poles (flagstaffs), I replaced the kit's plastic parts with stainless steel hypodermic tubing.  I then ground out hole on the side of the tubing at the bumper level.  Then I threaded plastic fiber optic through the tubing until it came out on the top.  That end of the fiber optic is also sharpened like a cone to diffuse the light.  On the other side I placed the fiber optic end inside the foglight, so the same light bulb illuminates the foglight and the fiber optic.