Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1982 Pontiac Trans-Am

polybius

This 1/24 Monogram 1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am arrived with no box, instructions, or decals, and the parts were all removed from the sprues.  It was missing the seats, but in time I discovered it was otherwise complete.  I built it alongside a 1992 Firebird Formula that had an instruction sheet, so the assembly steps were identical and only the trim and some details differed.  It is finished in Dupli-Color GM Camel Metallic, and while not the exact color offered on this first of the third-generation F-bodies it was a very close match.  Reference photos showed some variety in the trim offerings in '82, so I went with the black mirrors and spoiler to match the black lower accents.  Since the kit's seats were missing and should have been the Knight Rider style high-back bucket with the small horizontal slot, rather than trying to source the correct seat or scratchbuild them I went with a pair of '87 GTA seats that'd been sitting in my parts bin since I gluebombed that GTA back in 1987.  It seemed like a reasonable upgrade, anyway.  Aside from the flocked carpet, it's mostly box-stock.  

I have a soft-spot for these 1980s vintage Monogram kits.  They fit together fairly well and the plastic had a unique crispness and crunchiness to it.  I don't think we'll ever see Revell reissue these early Firebirds since the molds have long since been updated, and it's getting hard to find these kits in buildable condition.  Having finished both this '82 and the '92 Formula, there are still at least three of these old Monogram Firebird kits still on my to-build list -  '85 Trans-Am, '87 GTA (to avenge the one I glued to death as a kid),  and '89 20th Anniversary Turbo.  

IMG_7415-1R.jpg

IMG_7381-1R.jpg

IMG_7371-1R.jpg

IMG_7362-1R.jpg

IMG_7975-1R.jpg

• 7 months later...