Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coronavirus (Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive)

NYLIBUD

I heard that Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the Coronavirus while in Australia.And officials have suspended the rest of the NBA season on account of a few players who also tested positive for the virus.  

Only a handful of people might think it's going to "just go away".  But if we handle it properly here, things should go better than everywhere else so far, as we've got the benefit of seeing what worked (and what didn't) in all the other places where this flared up first.  Don't treat it as a joke, but then again don't panic either.  Neither extreme will do you any good.

Step 1: Run to Costco and buy them out of water and toilet paper!

Step 2: go hide in your house.

???

Seriously, folks.  Follow some common sense steps that the CDC is suggesting.  #1  wash the heck out of your hands several times a day.  #2 Don't rely on hand sanitizer.  It is a bactericide and has no effect on many viruses.  Wash your hands with warm water and a good soap.  #3 Avoid areas where you come in contact with a lot of people.  It is still a numbers game.  The more people you come in contact with, the larger chance you are going to get the virus. Wash your hands after you go out  #4 Protect others, particularly the elderly. Wash your hands before you go into their area.  #4 Wash your hands!

No I know, washing your hand won't stop the virus unless everyone does it, but it will significantly reduce your potential exposure if you are conscientious. 

Edited by Pete J.

It's not the disease I fear, it's the fallout. When services stop, venues close, trade gets restricted and markets drop, people lose jobs. Whether it's rational or panic, the fallout is real and will have real economic consequences that will not just bounce back, even if a month or two from now the virus dries up overnight.

Edited by Lunajammer

29 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

It's not the disease I fear, it's the fallout. When services stop, venues close, trade gets restricted and markets drop, people lose jobs. Whether it's rational or panic, the fallout is real and will have real economic consequences that will not just bounce back, even if a month or two from now the virus dries up overnight.

Very true......

1 hour ago, Mark said:

but then again don't panic either.

Too late!

The panic has already begun.

I don't remember there being any schools or sporting events shut down over any of the recent past "pandemics".

It is serious, but people have utterly lost their minds!

Steve

25 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It is serious, but people have utterly lost their minds!

I just heard about a couple of knuckleheads getting into a fistfight at a grocery store.  Probably fighting over TP or hand sanitizer.  Likely the same people who get into fights over toys at Christmas time...

3 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

In Australia, where the first Formula 1 race of 2020 is to take place.?

Teem McLaren has withdrawn already.

This is because one of the team members has tested positive for the virus, it's to protect other participants. It's the right thing to do but still gutting for them.

When I was hiking in India years ago I tried to wash my hands where and when I could, and used to wonder how clean the water was and who'd last used the tap. I went down with amoebic dysentery anyway!

Still, what you say makes sense, Ron.

Let's just face it.

We can only do what we can to help stem the spread of this virus.

But with 7.8 billion people on the planet, it's going to get around.

I just don't understand all of the over reaction and fear.

My guess is that there are already millions of people infected with this virus.

The vast majority of infected people have either very mild symptoms, or are symptom free altogether.

So while they like to tell us that this virus is 10 times more deadly than the flu, how do they know that when there is no way of calculating how many of us have the virus and don't even know it.

To date, a little over 4.000 deaths have been reported worldwide in conjunction with this virus, 25 in the US.

In a world of nearly 8 billion people and a country of nearly 330 million, it seems like a bit of over kill to shut down the commerce and movement of entire world.

Steve

33 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

So while they like to tell us that this virus is 10 times more deadly than the flu, how do they know that when there is no way of calculating how many of us have the virus and don't even know it.

I agree Steve. The Media is pushing the fear factor so they have something to report. 

Be safe and wash your hands is what they have been telling us, does it make a difference I hope so. 

The model show in Macomb MI this month has been canceled. 

Considering the fact that Who has declared the virus a pandemic I dont feel that it is right to criticize the media for the attention they've given to the virus. There are 2 strains that have been documented. The original and then a less serious case. However there is always the potential for the virus to get much worse.

The best thing is to be diligent and wash hands and be prepared for possible disruptions.

Finally remebrr FDR's famous quote. The only ghing we have to fear is fear itself.  

This virus sucks big time... All annual big Car Shows in here have been cancelled (some of them were moved to later this summer). Luckily there's still plenty of Cruise Nights... I'm not going to lose my sleep over this. Of course I'll try to be safe, but I'm going to live just like I've been doing in the past, attend all Cruise Nights in the nearby area and go hanging out with friends like we always do. If I get the infection, then I will have to stay home and try to get better...

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

No I know, washing your hand won't stop the virus unless everyone does it, but it will significantly reduce your potential exposure if you are conscientious. 

True. Every minute you spend in the bathroom washing your hands is a minute you aren't interacting with other people, getting their germs, giving them yours, touching stuff that other people have touched, and so forth. B):lol:

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Don't treat it as a joke, but then again don't panic either.  Neither extreme will do you any good.

There you go again, bringing sanity, reason and common sense to bear on the problem. What's wrong with you? B):lol:

The real problem is that even though the vast majority of us are continuing to try to live our lives normally, but just trying to be more conscientious, the powers that be, (including the media) are dragging down the economy and putting us all in great financial risk irrespective of the risk of catching the virus.

I'm much more worried about what can happen on the economy front than the illness itself.

Just as an example of what I feel is overreaction, my wife is a nursing professor at a university in a state that has yet to record a single case of the virus, yet she just sent me a text stating that the college will not hold any more "in person" classes until April 6th, effective after tomorrow!

Seriously?

Are we going to close down the entire world until further notice?

Does anybody seriously think that those students are going to just stay home for the next 3 weeks?

No, they will obviously crowd into the malls, restaurants and bars.

Human interaction will not end because you close a school.

The swine flu epidemic of 2009 and 2010 saw up to 21% of the worlds population (between 700 million and 1.4 billion) infected with that virus, and somewhere between 150,000 and 500,000 deaths associated with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember a single car show cancellation or basketball game with empty stands during that period!

Steve 

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

28 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember a single car show cancellation or basketball game with empty stands during that period!

Fear-driven hysteria is the new normal. It keeps cable news program ratings up. I sneezed on my screen. Hopefully, everyone ducked.

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

The Media is pushing the fear factor so they have something to report. 

47 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

It keeps cable news program ratings up. 

While I don't totally disagree, I have to defend the media to some degree. They are obligated to report cancellations, government statements, community actions and progress reports. That said, they don't have to hype it. But at this point, any reporting is feeding the hype, regardless of how innocuous. For that matter, so are social media (forum) discussions.

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

While I don't totally disagree, I have to defend the media to some degree. They are obligated to report cancellations, government statements, community actions and progress reports. That said, they don't have to hype it. But at this point, any reporting is feeding the hype, regardless of how innocuous. For that matter, so are social media (forum) discussions.

I watched at least 2 separate news casts this evening.

Locally, I would say that at least a third of the program involved the virus.

I would be surprised if at least 3/4 of the national news didn't pertain to the corona virus.

The networks and cable news are not happy unless they are reporting death and dismemberment constantly.

I find myself increasingly turning off the national news broadcasts within 5 minutes of them starting.

Steve

The latest two cases in Oregon, which were announced yesterday, are at the Oregon Veterans Home in Lebanon Oregon.  The Oregon Mid-Valley Modelers held there IPMS show there last Saturday.  The numbers of confirmed cases in Oregon are low still low, but those that know can tell it is because there are only a very limited number of test kits and people to do the test kits available.  Again, don't ignore it, but don't panic either

8 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

This is the real issue I have. The flu kills thousands every year with barely a mention on the evening news, but this Coronavirus has driven people to extremes by hoarding basic items that the rest of us need to help fight through this.

Ask yourself "If I have all the sanitizing products, what are others going to use?"  So don't be an idiot, leave some for the next guy.

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The real problem is that even though the vast majority of us are continuing to try to live our lives normally, but just trying to be more conscientious, the powers that be, (including the media) are dragging down the economy and putting us all in great financial risk irrespective of the risk of catching the virus. Yep, I work in sales and will likely be restricted to phone calls and emails for the next month, maybe two, not sure yet.

I'm much more worried about what can happen on the economy front than the illness itself. Layoffs, businesses closing, delays in expansion and summer jobs will hit the lower class the hardest and they are the ones who can least afford it.

Just as an example of what I feel is overreaction, my wife is a nursing professor at a university in a state that has yet to record a single case of the virus, yet she just sent me a text stating that the college will not hold any more "in person" classes until April 6th, effective after tomorrow! My daughter is a senior in college and has been told that her classes for the rest of the semester (8 weeks) will be online only. Not certain yet if her formal graduation ceremony will take place, after her 4 years of hard work.

Seriously?

Are we going to close down the entire world until further notice? It would seem like it, with continental travel bans, national quarantines and shutting down of major league sports.

Does anybody seriously think that those students are going to just stay home for the next 3 weeks? Nope, because the young aren't as severely affected they will likely continue on with life.

No, they will obviously crowd into the malls, restaurants and bars.

Human interaction will not end because you close a school.

The media is feeding into the hysteria and some are choosing to make it political by calling out the President. Not sure what could have been different as the information from China where this originated was suspect and sketchy from the beginning.

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The swine flu epidemic of 2009 and 2010 saw up to 21% of the worlds population (between 700 million and 1.4 billion) infected with that virus, and somewhere between 150,000 and 500,000 deaths associated with it.

Different media and political party in power at the time may have had something to do with it. The bottom line is that practicing common sense and taking logical precautions will likely go far in solving this crisis, hoarding cleaning supplies and paper products won't.

Steve 

OK. My wife works at an artist supply store. A teacher that gave classes at the store  called and she is self quarantining herself. Reason being. Her daughter  showed she was positive when tested for the virus. She attended classes at SUNY’s business facility In Albany.. Now. We have to wait and see if my spouse and her co-workers come down with it. My wife has worked with this person the past few weeks. So it’s a wait and see situation. Luckily I’m the type of person who has enough food that we do not have to leave the house for over a week. I’m not posting this to creat panic. But to let people be vigilant in what is going on. Now I have to call my doctor as I have an coming annual physical and see if he’d like to postpone it. I’m heathy and really do not need this exam. And if I’m infected. I don’t want to put others who go to my doctor’s practice at risk. Let’s hope for the best and if there is doubt with your exposure. Do the right thing and try and quarentee yourself. If you doubt this check the news here in NYS. 

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Coronavirus (Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive)
  • Dave Ambrose locked this topic