Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coronavirus (Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive)

NYLIBUD

Saw a Corona beer commercial last night, the audacity of some advertisers. (sarcasm)  I was going to break open a new kit to begin working on since school has been cancelled and I will be out of work for two weeks;.  But since it was manufactured in China, how do I know it is not infected and I will contract COVID-19?  After all I have had it for only three years.  I am scared, really scared. 

All of this is no surprise as with the advent of air travel one can interact with a lot of people in a short time. With an airborne high transfer rate it easy fir the system to be overwelmed. Just look at the time line for Italy.

Was interesting. Went to my primary physician on Tuesday for my 3 month check. There were signs up saying don't go into office if you have symptoms that you need to be screened to determine a treatment course. Local hospital was gearing up with suited doctors and nurses to deal with possible cases. Finally as I got in my car I saw the mailman go in and out of the office. Was thinking if the mailman got the virus how many people coukd potentially be infected. 

Well for me I've got several health issues that put me in the high risk category. TP is covered as I was due to get the 30 pack from Costco. Good for 5 months at least. Just did my normal 3 month refill on my prescriptions. Just did the monthly grocery shopping and got a little extra to give me a cushion.

Have a couple of errands to run tomorrow and I've got everything covered. More models than I'll build in a life time and am in good shape for supplies. Think it time to get busy and get some of those models built.

Thankfully we have this site to socialize. !!

10 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I wonder if this has not been here longer than we thought and people just thought they had or have the flu? 

I had wondered that with Mom’s passing when I found out kidney failure was part of it about a month ago, I think Dad may be wondering about that as well.

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm sorry, but this is the sort of thing that causes the panic that we are seeing.

Everything in that post is conjecture.

If this happens, if that happens, etc.

We act like this sort of thing has never happened before, even though the last apocalypse just happened with Ebola, (which actually kills nearly everyone it infects deader than dead)  and before that swine flu, etc, etc, etc.

If it doesn't bother anyone, I'll reserve my terror until it's warranted.

Steve 

7 hours ago, Spruslayer said:

What Steve said x10

I bet the op has a storage shed full of Charmin tp

?

You ever stop to think this might be serious enough to have the business response is justified, especially looking to see what has helped in areas of the world that have done was shown in that I quoted vs what our federal leaders are doing.

2 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I had wondered that with Mom’s passing when I found out kidney failure was part of it about a month ago, I think Dad may be wondering about that as well.

You ever stop to think this might be serious enough to have the business response is justified, especially looking to see what has helped in areas of the world that have done was shown in that I quoted vs what our federal leaders are doing.

Of course.

But does it matter?

I'm sorry, but you can't stop human interaction with nearly 8 billion people on the planet.

You can slow it down, but you will never stop it.

We lose, on average, more than 3,000 people every month to automobile crashes just in the U.S. alone!

All absolutely unnecessary deaths if we would just ban the automobile!

Steve

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Saw a Corona beer commercial last night, the audacity of some advertisers. (sarcasm)  I was going to break open a new kit to begin working on since school has been cancelled and I will be out of work for two weeks;.  But since it was manufactured in China, how do I know it is not infected and I will contract COVID-19?  After all I have had it for only three years.  I am scared, really scared. 

!!!!!LOL

?? Run,run the sky is falling!Were running out of "safe spaces" Its best to let them panic and just watch the entertainment.Who dosent love watching the in store battles over the last rolls.Cause you know,the media would never mislead the public.I wonder what folks will do with their $1000 supply of tp stashed in every corner of their house come June when this is over and the media is on to the next international crisis.

I see a lot of people shooting the messenger.  Yes the news is probably over reporting and some are slanting the stories to play into the fear, but most are reporting the facts.  What we do with those is up to us.

First off, 30 minutes a day of any news channel is enough to get the information that you need.  If you get more than that and become fearful, well that's on you.  Find yourself seated in front of the TV all evening soaking up MSNBC or Fox news and then complaining that they are over playing the bad news of the day?  Watch the first 30 minutes then shut it off and go build a model.  

Do I sound like the parents from the 50's and 60's about TV in general?  Oh heck yea!  I remember my mom coming in and shutting off the TV and telling me to go out and play.  Be your own mom.  Control how much you get. 

Went to the store this morning. Meat department well stocked again, had some large packs of TP and paper towels on the shelves. Dairy cases were filled back up and it was quiet in the store. Only needing a couple cashiers to handle things.

They did finally put a 2 item limit on coronavirus related items.

They also had the entrance doors locked down so you couldn't exit through them. They had people running out yesterday without paying through those.

The only thing I didn't find that we needed was Generic Tylenol. Funny, all the generic stuff was gone but the real Tylenol was stocked full. Guess if it cost too much people would rather skip it.

I was just looking to buy our usual double pack and be set for the month.

15 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I see a lot of people shooting the messenger.  Yes the news is probably over reporting and some are slanting the stories to play into the fear, but most are reporting the facts.  What we do with those is up to us.

First off, 30 minutes a day of any news channel is enough to get the information that you need.  If you get more than that and become fearful, well that's on you.  Find yourself seated in front of the TV all evening soaking up MSNBC or Fox news and then complaining that they are over playing the bad news of the day?  Watch the first 30 minutes then shut it off and go build a model.  

Do I sound like the parents from the 50's and 60's about TV in general?  Oh heck yea!  I remember my mom coming in and shutting off the TV and telling me to go out and play.  Be your own mom.  Control how much you get. 

I agree 100 percent. 

I think it is unwise to say the that the media should be ignored. Yes they have been known to sensationalize. However the current situation has been constantly evovling. They are not just repeating the same information

The key is balance. Too much information is just as bad a too much. However you can control your level of how much you want.

At this time limiting unnecessary socialization is common sense till things become more stable.

Again balance. Its your choice on how you want to react. You can wrap yourself in a body condom and hide under your bed. Or you can run around shaking everybody's hand and kissing them. Neither are wise options.

Balance and common sense is the best course of action.

11 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

...the media...have been known to sensationalize.

What a nice way to put it. B)

And, in the same vein, bless their hearts. (Let's see who here speaks Southern. :lol: )

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What a nice way to put it. B)

And, in the same vein, bless their hearts. (Let's see who here speaks Southern. :lol: )

19 minutes ago, cowboy rich said:

Dont get yourself into trouble Mr. Snake sure I'm not the only one here that knows what that means. ?

How nice, has the  same connotation . Treading on thin ice here!?

Edited by Pete J.

18 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

How nice, has the  same connotation . Treading on thin ice here!?

Hmmmm, never heard that. Where I come from, "How nice for you"--with the emphasis on the "for"--means "I could not possibly care less about whatever it is you're talking about, and you are boring me nearly into a coma." :lol:

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Here are the facts.

As of March 11th, the CDC was reporting 1,629 cases of COVID-19 in the the US with 41 total deaths associated with it .

My little town in west central Minnesota has just over 2.000 residents.

More than all of the reported cases so far in a country of 328 million people.

There are likely more than 41 people living within a 2 block radius of me.

Those are the facts at this time.

Everything else is speculation.

There will likely be more cases as testing ramps up, but for the time being, this is where we stand.

Steve

You have to maintain some sense of humor to cope and relieve stress. Found this reposted on FB:

image.png.69511a40d5779b9ad23da5682d0a9e54.png

One of the comments:

...and 13 years after that they’ll be “Quaranteens”!

image.png.1d9be6b99b838bfb787c80511149469a.png

:D

Edited by SfanGoch

17 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Here are the facts.

As of March 11th, the CDC was reporting 1,629 cases of COVID-19 in the the US with 41 total deaths associated with it .

My little town in west central Minnesota has just over 2.000 residents.

More than all of the reported cases so far in a country of 328 million people.

There are likely more than 41 people living within a 2 block radius of me.

Those are the facts at this time.

Everything else is speculation.

There will likely be more cases as testing ramps up, but for the time being, this is where we stand.

Steve

I like the way you put this Steve. Every thing else is speculation.  The numbers I have heard on the radio and TV are all just that. We have no idea if this was not here for weeks or months and has been passed off as the flu because we don't always go get tested.  So far they have a ratio or % but that is skewed because of the senior living  or rehab care  facility that had a run of the virus.  That went through the worst place to get a real % test. Setting humans to a point of fear is what the Media has done the way I see it.Now they have even more stories to tell.  Social media has not help one bit also, so much for their filters to stop fear and panic. 

I haven't seen fear anywhere - just people doing the best that they can to prepare.  The first case in Oregon was identified a couple of weeks ago at the medical facility where some of my coffee friends get their medical care.  That's close enough to get my attention.  And the veterans rest home in Lebanon, Oregon where the model show that I mentioned above was held (I had other things going that morning and couldn't attend) is now up to 9 cases - less than a week and apparently still counting.  Oregon has 80 test kits a day which will cover only 40 people so most cases here have not been identified and counted.  Due to lack of attention, insufficient test kits were requested from the CDC.  However, we know so much about how this infection will progress that we  should not ignore it.  Information and preparation, not panic. 

30 minutes ago, Muncie said:

I haven't seen fear anywhere - just people doing the best that they can to prepare.

You can call it fear or vigilance or preparedness or whatever, but when people resort to fist fights over a bottle of hand sanitizer or a package of toilet paper, it's not normal in any sense of the word.

Steve

It doesn't take much to provoke some shoppers looking to snag the last remaining items. They get into fistfights over a flat screen TV or stupid toy at Walmart right after the doors open on Black Friday. Videos of Wally World Black Friday Death Matches are perennial favorites on the news and Youtube.

41 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You can call it fear or vigilance or preparedness or whatever, but when people resort to fist fights over a bottle of hand sanitizer or a package of toilet paper, it's not normal in any sense of the word.

Steve

not what I was saying,  fist fights over toilet paper is taking things to some other level.  Totally ignoring or minimizing Coronovirus  is not preparation either.

Today's Coronovirus task force press conference is on now  - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/live-news-coverage-from-cbs-news/ar-BBmYvYY?appwebview=true&ocid=msedgdhp  In the last 48 hours there has been a lot of progress on the test that will be distributed and it should be fully rolled out in a couple of weeks  but one quote from Anthony Falchi (spelling?) is that we have not seen the worst of it.  They will hold another press conference daily. 

Edited by Muncie

On 3/14/2020 at 7:21 AM, MrObsessive said:

I'm glad I checked out this thread! I didn't know that and I was planning on going. :(

I'm wondering now about NNL East for next month? Anyone know what's happening with that? Tom? :unsure:

I don’t speak on behalf of the club, but I noticed on their website today that NNL East is now in September:

https://www.nnleast.com/

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Hmmmm, never heard that. Where I come from, "How nice for you"--with the emphasis on the "for"--means "I could not possibly care less about whatever it is you're talking about, and you are boring me nearly into a coma." :lol:

If we meet some time ask me to tell the joke about 3 southern Belles sitting on a porch.  The joke has been told with both "how nice"  and "that's nice"  You can google it, but it definitely doesn't belong on this web site so that is all I'm going to say about it.  Well, not quite.  After I was first told that joke I saw a huge 4X4 pickup that was jacked way up in the air with a vanity plate of How Nice.