Model Cars Magazine Forum

Was a 28/9 Ford coupe ever made

Jimmy Flintstone does a resin 5w coupe.  I showed my build in Under Glass last year sometime.  It is a reasonable effort, not perfect, it is chopped and needs some reworking of window openings and gutter lines.

There has never been a styrene 28/29 Model A coupe and there have been almost no diecast ones. I have a 1/43 scale stocker in brown and black, can't remember the manufacturer, and Maisto did a channelled rat rod style one in 1/64th scale as well as a larger version in 1/24th but again, not perfect.

I have a stock bodied 29 A roadster hot rod in my garage and an IKEA flatpacked 29 5 window coupe down the side of the house so I can give you some insight as to what is necessary to build a styrene version.

First, you will need the cowl, front doors and some of the roof from an AMT 28 Tudor.   A fairly rare kit but you might find a glue bomb.

Next, you will need the quarter panels and trunk area from an AMT 29 Roadster  but they will be far from a direct fit.  Here's why.

The passenger opening on a coupe 1/4 panel is exactly the same size and shape as the opening on a roadster panel.  I've checked it by mocking up the 5w quarter window with the roadster 1/4 panel.  It's a match.

Because the coupe uses the longer Tudor doors, you need to first take a horizontal slice on the quarters from say just below the swage line to remove the passenger opening. You will also need to make a vertical cut down through the upper trunk lid line to separate the piece from the body. Then you would need to shorten the quarter panel approximately 4mm back from the rear door line.

Next, you would need to cut the quarter panels free from the trunk and beaver panel before realigning the 1/4 panels up to the Tudor body. 

You would then carefully reattach the passenger opening onto the top of the two, now shorter,  quarter panels 

Coupes and roadsters use the same trunk lid but the beaver panel is significantly shorter  on a coupe so the trunk lid needs to be moved further around towards the bottom of the car.  Re reading this shows I am struggling to explain this clearly!!!!! Both the beaver panel and tulip panel on the roadster are wider than coupe ones.

Having done all this work, there will be one aspect that would be very hard to fix.  If you get to see a square on side view of both the roadster and coupe bodies, you will see that both the profile and the swage lien on the rear of the body drop significantly more quickly than the one on the roadster.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to do, just very challenging.  I have all the parts to do it plus the desire to have one in my collection but it hasn't happened yet.

Greg's idea of combining a Monogram 29 pickup and a 30 coupe is feasible and has been done before.  The late Chris Dansie of Queensland Australia did a lovely one some years ago BUT there are a lot of differences between the lines and contours of a 29 and 30 coupe.  It all depends how particular you are nailing the details of a 29.

Best of luck,

Alan