Model Cars Magazine Forum

New salvage yard diorama in the works....

Shambles

18 hours ago, Shambles said:

Thank you. That is neat. I had thought about scratch building my own. But that is a much more attractive alternative . It would cost that much just in evergreen material to build it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yall don't give up on me. A couple of weeks ago, I was on a step stool trying to set up some stuff at the back of the diorama, stool squirted out from under me, I fell and hurt my shoulder so I ain't been able to do much on it lately. I should know better at my age! I've ordered a rolling work table that will be at a little lower height, and I'll be able to access the diorama from any side as opposed to my current set up which is fixed to the wall and about 4'5" off the floor.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on my "inventory", cutting out doors and deck lids, doing a little weathering...

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

IMG_8818.jpeg

IMG_8823.jpeg

Edited by Shambles

Sorry to hear you had a fall, John...... and being able to access the diorama from any side is really good if you have the space. I find myself having to turn diorama baseboards through 360 degrees, just to get a different angle for the photography.

David

Thanks, David. I shoulda known better than to get on that #!!@#$ step stool. My rolling work table came today and my shoulder has gotten a lot better so I plan on assembling it tomorrow (the table, not my shoulder). I want to get back to work on my diorama!

Edited by Shambles

1 hour ago, Shambles said:

Thanks, David. I shoulda known better than to get on that #!!@#$ step stool. My rolling work table came today and my shoulder has gotten a lot better so I plan on assembling it tomorrow (the table, not my shoulder). I want to get back to work on my diorama!

Just don’t over do it!! Hope you’re healing well!! 

With a little discomfort, I managed to get the rolling work table assembled. I've got a swivel stool to assemble later. I'm gonna take down the fixed shelf in the back of the garage and put the mobile version in that space placing the same board on the rolling table. I also got a little more wrecking and weathering done and adding. some details like the cinder blocks that the cars will set on in the yard.

IMG_8862 2.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg.9ef475566fff133ec246225a53a2f23d.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

Edited by Shambles

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DrKerry said:

Looks good John, how'd you do the background photo? Just enlarge the pic and print it?

Photoshop. I take a lot of sunset photos at that golf course in our neighborhood. I photograph the diorama, erase the background (the most tedious part), then size and embed the photo as a background layer.

10 hours ago, Shambles said:

Photoshop. I take a lot of sunset photos at that golf course in our neighborhood. I photograph the diorama, erase the background (the most tedious part), then size and embed the photo as a background layer.

Oh got it. I thought maybe it was printed out. Either way it looks good with the dio!!

• 2 weeks later...

Since I don't go anywhere anymore, and have now seen everything that Netflix has to offer,  I'm getting a little more work done on the diorama. Still got some "grass" to glue down, and lots of accessories and figures to add.

The yard next to the shop is where we bring the performance cars to remove their engines and other salvageable parts. Then, if there's nothing of value left on the "carcus" they'll go to that crusher back there.

IMG_9511.jpeg

IMG_9467.jpeg

IMG_9676.jpeg

IMG_9706.jpeg

Edited by Shambles

• 2 weeks later...