Model Cars Magazine Forum
65slotcar

cobra csx 3008

finally finished one of my cobra's.  this one is  csx 3008 driven by Hal Keck

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Very nice an the paint is stunning.   Here are some period pictures I found online.

IMG_7164.PNG

IMG_7165.PNG

thanks  Rex,  and  great pictures  of the car as raced  #88 .   not many photo's  of car with #11.   there is one  in my cobra book next to a 65 shelby mustang  and  track looks like Daytona.

Very, very nice. I have been reading the Shelby biography and just read about the competition 427's

Nice build William, somewhat shinier than the real thing!

Dave B

Very well done.  Congratulations on a super build.

Well done Bill !

Looking forward as the rest of them come together 👍

Cheers

thanks guys,   this one had the least amount of extra details so i finished it first just to finally get one done.

Very nice looking Cobra!  Like the display base too.

I like this one too.  Love these old Cobra builds.  The color looks great too... a bit too shiny, but really, who cares.  Nice work.

thanks guys for all the positive comments.

6 hours ago, Peter Lombardo said:

I like this one too.  Love these old Cobra builds.  The color looks great too... a bit too shiny, but really, who cares.  Nice work.

yah they are a bit too shiny,  will have to try a race weathered  version  someday  with dirt ,grease,rock chips  and   dull paint.

It looks sweet.

And in general, it's true that race cars these days are far shinier than they were in the 60s. Not entirely the case, but generally yes. It's hard to get a model not so terribly shiny without it looking like something the dog left in the back yard.

In the late 60s I was on the crew of a Tiger racing in SCCA. Built by Doane Spencer of Hollywood Sports Cars. Owner/driver was Ron Dykes. It's now restored to how it was when I was working on it. At the time, the other crew members (including Rick Titus, son of Jerry Titus, Shelby Team driver and creator of the Firebird Trans Am) and I would get frustrated when we would be doing something like re-installing the engine after freshening it up and Ron would tell us to stop and put another coat of wax on the body. 😏 Build a model of that car and it will need to be quite shiny.

In those days, a race car was to be raced and was treated pretty hard. If it was taken to a car show, time would be spent on shining it up, but otherwise, they were pretty scruffy.

Sunbeam_Tiger_HollywoodSports Cars_0048-DV-07_MH_02.jpg