Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Monte Carlo lowrider

geetee66

1 hour ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Another cool paint job on the way !  Looking good so far mate  !

I spent nearly 2 years building a show car version of this kit, got a bit carried away !

It's a very good kit, I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together !

2 years?! Lol!

I know what you mean. Hardest part is knowing when to stop!

I'm looking forward to seeing this paint work. I know you have your design down, and I don't want you to take my comment as criticism as I'm just interested as to your design.  I'm looking at your masking of the rear portion of the body and the trunk/boot in particular. To my eye it looks like the pattern widens toward the rear with the lines on the top of the trunk and rear fenders sort of converging at the outer edges of the fenders. Is this part of your design ?  

2 hours ago, espo said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this paint work. I know you have your design down, and I don't want you to take my comment as criticism as I'm just interested as to your design.  I'm looking at your masking of the rear portion of the body and the trunk/boot in particular. To my eye it looks like the pattern widens toward the rear with the lines on the top of the trunk and rear fenders sort of converging at the outer edges of the fenders. Is this part of your design ?  

Thanks for taking the time to consider this, Espo. No offence taken, buddy.

Yes, it's kinda deliberate. I basically use body lines to help orientate the pattern. The widening of the lines is an extension of the diverging lines on the hood. Once the lines are painted and look separate, I'm confident the pattern will make more sense. 

At the end of the day, it's all freestyle and a bit of a gamble, but I enjoy surprises!

1 hour ago, geetee66 said:

Thanks for taking the time to consider this, Espo. No offence taken, buddy.

Yes, it's kinda deliberate. I basically use body lines to help orientate the pattern. The widening of the lines is an extension of the diverging lines on the hood. Once the lines are painted and look separate, I'm confident the pattern will make more sense. 

At the end of the day, it's all freestyle and a bit of a gamble, but I enjoy surprises!

Thank you for the insight in what your doing with your design. As a former Monte Carlo owner I'll be even more interested in your paint work. 

On 3/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, Superbird McMonte said:

F16B745E-DBA3-4B61-A299-8B53846C4E3E.jpeg.7fb78bb8bd023c7731b4c04f8c5c1f71.jpeg

same here! And I’m a current Monte owner!

Sweet ride, man! I doubt I could get that parked at my house, without hanging over the pavement/sidewalk.. 

Nice body lines on these Montes. I love the long hood.

anyway, got some more tape down last night. Thought about it all day at work. Decided it was no good. Came home, took it off and started again. I really like fingerprint patterns on lowriders, but they're a bit fiddly and so it took all evening and I forgot to eat.

gave it a subtle fade around the edges. More colours to come. I haven't started the sides yet.

IMG_4381.JPG

IMG_4383.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

5 hours ago, rustybill1960 said:

Super work on the striping!

I am wondering on how Your planning the suspension?

I need some help on rendering that part of the build myself

Thank You for sharing

Hi Bill

I'm going to drop the tail and keep the front at stock ride height, for a tail dragging stance. This will probably involve trimming the coil springs and possibly making new control arms. I haven't looked at it yet. I do that part of the build while the body dries and gasses-out.

7 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Hi Bill

I'm going to drop the tail and keep the front at stock ride height, for a tail dragging stance. This will probably involve trimming the coil springs and possibly making new control arms. I haven't looked at it yet. I do that part of the build while the body dries and gasses-out.

The rear is easy to lower by just cutting the springs, kind of what is done on the 1:1. The thing to watch for is the drive shaft clearance of the rear portion of the floor boards. Some notching of the rear edge of the drive shaft tunnel can solve this up to a point with out going through to floor. I think at that point your rear bumper might be pretty close to bottoming out anyway. Should you need to go any lower just remove a portion of the rear of the tunnel and create a replacement for the portion you removed. 

2 hours ago, johnny rocket said:

I am just wondering are you cutting the curves out of the blue tape or was it a straight line and you created the curves

I cut the tape into 1mm strips and curve it as I lay it down. I've got a bit quicker at it, now. 

If a line goes astray, just lift it and reapply. I like to paint as soon as the tape's done. If I leave it too long, some tighter curves want to lift.

Got the ride height sorted today. I had to cut away a little bit of chassis and grind out the transmission tunnel, and shorten the shock absorbers. But it was an easy job. Drilled out the Pegasus wheels to fit onto the kit axles. Easy.

got the tail-dragging look I was after.

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

5 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Sorry Guy. Been calling you Geoff. Still a great looking build. Nice stance you've got.

Later-

? don't worry. No offence taken buddy!

glad you all dig the paint!

suspension and some engine  parts are now gloss black, awaiting some Molotow chrome. Chassis now orange. Interior and engine, today. And some more clear on the body.

7 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Another stunning paint job Guy..this is going to be amazing in the sun?

Ah, the sun. I remember seeing that.

Bright thing. Lives in the sky.

yeah, these colours go wild under good light. The camera never seems to pick up the subtleties that the naked eye can see.