Model Cars Magazine Forum

1907 Thomas Flyer

Eric Macleod

While I was a high school student I built this old Thomas and "weathered" it, mostly using thinned out paint and brushes. I uncovered it and it clearly looked even worse for wear. I am going to reassemble it and maybe add a few things. Here it is on the messy bench as of this morning. 

PhotoPictureResizer_200316_065136723_copy_1008x756.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200316_065220718_copy_1008x756.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200316_065254817_copy_1008x756.jpg

Hope you'll post pics as you rebuild the Thomas. Years ago I found a book on that race and became fascinated with it which led to hunting down more books. Got hold of one of the Flyer kits but have yet to build it. Reading about what the Great Race drivers went through and how we live today brought forth a new respect for our ancestors. This was an event that deserves a truthful movie and not the silly comedy with Tony Curtiss. There have been several excellent books published on the 1908 race although most are now out of print.

I like what you've done so far. How did you create your canvas fender look. Did you ever read the story about how the original leather fenders were stolen by crew aboard the ship that took them to Asia., the crew using the material to make shoe soles.

On 3/18/2020 at 7:59 PM, bbowser said:

Eric,  what did you use for the fenders on the stock build?  I'd like to do that with my kit.

I used front fenders out of a distressed MPC Darraq kit and the rears were from a 1/32 Rolls Royce...a Pyro kit I believe.  The rear seat assembly was sort of cur and pasted out of a Revell Lil John Buttera Model T Touring.  The whole car was very much of a cut and paste but actually came together pretty well.  If I were to do it again,  I would use a different rear seat and carve pleats into it to match the front seat and I would add half round moldings to the fenders. Alas, I am reluctant to tear apart anything that is done with 150 unbuilts calling my name!

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I remember somebody building a stock Flyer, using the fenders from the MPC 1914 Stutz Bearcat.  Maybe another memory in here is better than mine. 

I sort of remember that also.  I really wish I would have thought about that at the time I put mine together. 

I remember that one as well.  For anyone contemplating doing a stock Flyer, there are some shots floating around the Internet of the New York to Paris car from the start of the race, when it still had its stock front fenders.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/1908_New_York_to_Paris_Race%2C_Roberts.jpg

7 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I remember that one as well.  For anyone contemplating doing a stock Flyer, there are some shots floating around the Internet of the New York to Paris car from the start of the race, when it still had its stock front fenders.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/1908_New_York_to_Paris_Race%2C_Roberts.jpg

And I think the actual Thomas Flyer used for the New York to Paris race started out as a Runabout,  not a Touring Car. Of course I didn't learn that tidbit until my model had been finished for 10 years!

I remember this one being a model that almost every one of my friends built. Straight out of the box with almost no paint,  they looked halfway decent.  A little black, some gold and a little red really woke them up, mostly because of all the brass. 

I hsve not abandoned this one. I just decided to go back to the Cord for the weekend.