Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASCAR MODEL CAR RACING

marty blackmon

Hey Guys,   I am new in here but just wanted to reach out to anyone who may be interested in racing model cars with us ??? . . . . we have been racing on and off for appx 40 years and have had the most fun EVER.  We race plastic 1/24 scale nascar model kits.  Today,  most of our guys purchase these cars,  kits and decals thru "Mikes Decals. com"   we are in South Carolina and want to know if anyone wants to come race with us.  We are ALL willing to help you get started and heck . . . . if it's too far for you to come race with us . . . you can easily build a track in your hometown and hold your own events.   Check us out on youtube and see what you think,  and let me know what you think ???? . . . . search youtube for  "Real Model Car Racing"

It cost $10,000,000 to race NASCAR Cup car

It cost  $1,000,000 to race Xfinity car

It cost $100,000 to race Late Model Stock

It cost $10,000 to race Karts

It cost $1000 to race RC

It cost $100 to race a Model Car

Guys,  theres literally no one in America who could not race Model Cars if they wanted to . . . . think about it for a second

I raced 1/24-25 scale models converted into rc cars for less than $150.00.

here's a pic of my mac tonight victory to win the quarterly championship in the cup series. 

And yes the track was big enough that you could create down force so we played a lot with the body lines and spoilers.

You could also draft and loosen up another car by drafting and yes we did have some big ones like at Daytona.

One car got enough air to leave thru the open window. 

Sorry about the picture tried to correct it so it was upright.

This is racing. 

IMG_20200320_224845.jpg

Edited by Vince66

Used to that in my basement with a 2 x 8 sheet of plywood.First car to line wins..4 cars at a time..Run multiple heats, lined up behind one another according to points..Held front car with yard stick then go..Every saturday..50cents per car and winner in points at end of 2 months took half money second took 3/4 of left and 3rd got the rest..Had six friends..We were 10-12 yrs old..Great fun weekly..

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not sure where you got your info on kart racing unless your talking about shifter karts or the karting from overseas, but as a prior kart owner/driver with my son, we were very competitive and spent maybe about $6000 per year.  We did our own engines using the 212cc Predator and parts from ARC Racing.  the chassis were not brand new, but I can't see spending $2000 for a chassis when good, reliable chassis can be had for a lot less if you know where to look.  while I agree with the addage if you want to make a million in racing, start with 2 million....you can get by with a lot less if you know what your doing, where to look and who to talk to.  but! with that being said, I had about $11K tied up in our mini-stock...

Edited by Mikey56

On 3/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, marty blackmon said:

It cost $10,000,000 to race NASCAR Cup car

It cost  $1,000,000 to race Xfinity car

It cost $100,000 to race Late Model Stock

It cost $10,000 to race Karts

It cost $1000 to race RC

It cost $100 to race a Model Car

Guys,  theres literally no one in America who could not race Model Cars if they wanted to . . . . think about it for a second

Or, if you only have a dollar...get a Hot Wheels and find a hill! 

Fun idea - looks like people are having fun doing it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you AFX for putting up that video.   Yes, that's some of our younger racers having a great time. when you line up these cars and let them loose . . . they suddenly COME TO LIFE . . . . our track is 24 inches wide and 120 feet from start gate to finish line.  And yes,  basically what it is . . . is Adult Pinewood Derby Racing.

Guys,  please,  think about this for a minute . . . and answer this question . . . 

Look at PWD racing "world championships that is in New York every year and has over 100,000 racers ????

Look at the state championships that are held in each state (I think) and have 2500 to 5000 racers . . . 

Ok, now . . . here is the question (and I am very EAGER to see your answers)

How many of these cars were 100% prepared by the "dads"   ??????

Mikey56

I had appx 10,000 for karting per year and you had appx $11.000 . . . so all in all,  we are pretty close.

And I'm making reference to in and around the "Caroline Areas"   (north and south)  and between 2000 and 2010 period.

And yes,  just like many, many guys have come to realize . . . you CAN (and many have) gave up the karting and gone to Mini Stocks due to the Mini Stocks being so very close to the same cost.

And also we may need to point out that . . . . when it comes to racing (as 99% of us know very, very well) . . . . 

There is a cost to participate (take part) and . . . there is a cost to WIN

Two totally DIFFERENT numbers . . .

What my main point is . . . is that to participate on NASCAR,  your dad (or grandad) has to be a millionaire.

To run a Late Model Stock,  you must have resources beyond.   Money and Help (Help equals 100% devoted and committed guys on the crew and in the shop whom are willing to give up family time,  to bust their a__  working and preparing YOUR car.  This is extrememly HARD to come about,  Those who are fortunate enough to find themselves with this,   they are they ones racing local LMS

Dirt Track Kart Racing  (I don't know much about Asphalt)  for this type racing . . . it is the SAME . . only on a smaller scale.

I grew up in Reading, PA. We did this in the alleys as kids using airplane tires, slot car tires and shotgun wads. We ran 6oz and 8oz. Guys I know still race. Its ramp racing now because of the condition of the city. 

It's fun. Best part is building your stuff and winning with it.