Model Cars Magazine Forum

Met my first Palmer kit today.....

51 minutes ago, alexis said:

The Airfix Blister Pack 1/72 Planes were cool and exotic, foreign kits. Always welcomed. Even then, though, by about 1978 or so, I could tell which Airfix planes were old tools and which were newer.

Blister Pack Coincidence!  As relief from a long, grinding 1/24 build, I started working on that handsome fellow shown below: an Airfix 54mm French Foreign Legionnaire (1908).  The date on it is 1976. Airfix did several series of these blister-pack figures, from the English Civil War, Napoleonic Era, American Revolution etc. 

Like this one, they all had optional poses and parts and go together easily. I have the sub-assemblies done and am painting it now.  It's a lot of fun. Trying to stay straight out of the box...or blister-pack...but I may add a few photo-etched buckles and such.  Airfix did sort of skimp in that area.  But these sold for $1.00 each new, and were definitely worth that.  I still pick them up on eBay, if they're cheap.

afix_ffl.jpg

On 3/18/2020 at 8:37 AM, vamach1 said:

Great old Christmas picture.  I cannot remember buying any "new" PSM kits but I did one across this 70 Boss maybe 15 years ago and the box for an original AMT 69 Mach1.  Suffice it to say the Boss does not really have a Boss engine if compared to say the 1/25 Cougar kit that has a very good 1/25 Boss 302.  As for those old PSM kits, they are good for junkyard dioramas and that's about it.

IMG_7207.JPG

IMG_7208.JPG

IMG_7209.JPG

Crazy as this sounds, this is probably the ONLY Palmer kit I ever hope to find someday (maybe the 71 Challenger, too). I'd really like to take up the challenge to try to correct the flaws and make a more accurate replica out of it! I think it could turn out pretty good and I'd like to be the one to tell folks that it was a Palmer.

Too bad it was ruined to make the 70-71-72 conglomeration it became. 

On 3/18/2020 at 8:35 AM, JollySipper said:

Okay, but prepare yourself.... :wacko:

1527352880_palmerkit001.JPG.4f9d6572e1a4ecbf43dea3cd3aa9a09e.JPG

Here it is mocked up, kinda sad really....

843848005_palmerkit002.JPG.3b44e336cda35ea721025aea99c1ba8a.JPG

As bad as it looks, it might be a good start for scratchbuilding an Australian Chrysler Valiant Charger! (I'd post a photo, but my computer keeps freezing when I try to do so.)

45 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Don't outbid each other on this gem. ?

Ha!  I posted a picture of that real built-up kit, back on Page 1 of this thread.  You may not be able to recognize it as a Mustang, so just scroll down until you see a large baby-blue blob with a peeling number "3" sticker on it. 

Here's a minor gripe in the horror that is Palmer.  But the '70 Mustang box says "Loads of Chrome Goodies!"  That language was really out of date by 1970 and belongs more to the late 1950s or early 60s, when Palmer started using it on all their kit boxes.

By 1970 most people didn't want "loads of chrome goodies" cluttering up their cars.  Unless they were still ordering chrome fender skirts and such, from the Honest Charlie or Warshawsky catalogs. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2020 at 5:25 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I have a recurring nightmare that there’s a warehouse somewhere in Brooklyn where someone finds the Palmer tooling and reissues this stuff!

That would be our luck. Johans are gone forever, but Palmers would be found.

On 3/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, 64Comet404 said:

Lindbergh re-popped a bunch of the ‘70s Palmer stuff back in the mid 1980’s, so it is probably somewhere in the Round 2 tooling shed. 

And that's where it should stay!