Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, this figures...

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sorry to hear!  Be sure to file for unemployment immediately.  Feds are supposed to be backing state plans to offer coverage to affected folks like you!

If it comes to that I will.

We will not make a definite decision until tomorrow, so maybe all will be ok... either way I'm gonna be perfectly fine, I could use a little RnR anyway.

Have some irony, it's good for our blood.  This poster is from the Museum of Communism in Prague, Czech Republic.  (A great museum to visit if you ever get there.) The Museum sells a whole series of these posters, done by snarky Czech artists.  They re-worked classic propaganda posters, to illustrate life under Communism.  But this one sure sounds familiar right now, right here in the good old USA...

Museum_Communism_Poster_10.jpg

26 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Have some irony, it's good for our blood.  This poster is from the Museum of Communism in Prague, Czech Republic.  (A great museum to visit if you ever get there.) The Museum sells a whole series of these posters, done by snarky Czech artists.  They re-worked classic propaganda posters, to illustrate life under Communism.  But this one sure sounds familiar right now, right here in the good old USA...

Museum_Communism_Poster_10.jpg

"Sometimes"?!  Most of the time there was no TP! When a load was delivered, people immediately bought it out (word of mouth traveled fast in pre-Internet days too). Of course everybody bought more then they needed to share with their family members, or barter with others for other rare food staples (like sugar or butter).  Oh, those were the days . . .  Fortunately I was only kid, so my parents were dealing with the daily life's struggles.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

"Sometimes"?!  Most of the time there was no TP! When a load was delivered, people immediately bought it out (word of mouth traveled fast in pre-Internet days too). Of course everybody bought more then they needed to share with their family members, or barter with others for other rare food staples (like sugar or butter).  Oh, those were the days . . .  Fortunately I was only kid, so my parents were dealing with the daily life's struggles.

Thanks!  When I went to Budapest, the tour guide was a young woman who talked about the Bad Old Days.  Like "banana days." As you said, she told us that word got around quickly when the shops had bananas. Long lines formed and the bananas sold out quickly. Same for many other products.

When I worked in Egypt, I learned very quickly to take my own TP to the work site.  Many Egyptians don't use the stuff.  There was a bidet in the hotel where I lived for about 2 years, and also one in my apartment later.  Public bathrooms, like at work, had a water hose mounted beside the toilet.  If you stopped at a service station, you might find a clean bathroom. Or one that had not been cleaned since the days of the Pharaohs.  It was best to wait, if possible.

That sucks. But for me it seems that my job is unaffected. I'm in the defense aerospace industry. Some people can work from home although I can't. But the virus does not effect our business. I sure noticed how light the traffic has been and empty parking lots around restaurants. It's the Zombie apocalypse. On Friday I had a hard time finding a parking space at Publix. I had to park around the back. Most of the meats and poultry were gone and the only paper goods left were a few tissue boxes and paper plates. We still managed to get what we needed. I just hop they will be restocked enough by this Friday. There should be less shoppers as the early shoppers are the ones who have hoarded and overstocked so they shouldn't need much again so soon.

2 hours ago, Mike C said:

That sucks. But for me it seems that my job is unaffected. I'm in the defense aerospace industry. Some people can work from home although I can't. But the virus does not effect our business. I sure noticed how light the traffic has been and empty parking lots around restaurants. It's the Zombie apocalypse. On Friday I had a hard time finding a parking space at Publix. I had to park around the back. Most of the meats and poultry were gone and the only paper goods left were a few tissue boxes and paper plates. We still managed to get what we needed. I just hop they will be restocked enough by this Friday. There should be less shoppers as the early shoppers are the ones who have hoarded and overstocked so they shouldn't need much again so soon.

On the news yesterday, a reporter said the Publix re-stocking system is so good, logistics experts in the U.S. military study it.  But he also quoted the CEO of Publix as saying that the current situation is already putting a strain on their transport system.

I took my elderly Mom to Wal-Mart today.  The aisle with lunch meat, hot dogs etc. was completely cleaned out. Never seen that before.  Canned soup, rice, dry beans, tuna and other staples were sold out or nearly so.  The store did still have plenty of toilet paper, and people were still buying cart-loads of it.

The one thing I have learned from all this craziness is just how unbelievably selfish people can be...

People with the "don't affect me" attitude that could literally extend this bs on for months on end because they simply refuse to just stay home or away from others.

It's pretty sad when a store has a tractor trailer load of products and 5ppl buy the whole lot... and then those in need do without.

And then, we have a parts manufacturing plant here that is doing absolutely nothing to combat it, and refuse to until ordered by the state (which has yet to happen)... Corporate greed at its finest...

12 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Where I work we only have 25 people between 2 shifts. We repair and make  blow molds for food and cleaning supplies. We are working the normal shifts until we are told we can not. They did say. IF YOU ARE SICK STAY HOME. Just call in. No limit on days. 

I heard this morning from a good source, that Honda and Ford are likely shutting down by monday... If so the big Denso plant here in town will be closing also.

I think the faster everyone stops moving the faster this stuff goes away, but then again I'm no expert.

I hope all you folks stay healthy and keep your families safe...

Civil responsibility is so crucial right now, and I really hope people realize it, and make the necessary concessions to end this thing in as timely a manner as possible.

It's obviously gonna hurt, it already has in alot of instances, but I personally feel, that we are all gonna have to hurt together for a while.

I just dont understand the panic. Less than 90 cases throughout the state of Tennessee, and they have closed schools, adjusted a ton of store hours and are having layoffs and closings. What? Never mind the numbers nationwide, like over 80k people have survived this thing, and we lost over 30k last year in a 3 month span...from the FLU? Where was all this worry then? Im past amusement at this point, and Im full on irritated. Im all for personal responsibility, but this is just next level DUMB!

Some number from the cdc. There are 36 million to 51 million flu illnesses a year. Out of that 370, 000 to 670,000 hospitalizations. Out of that 20,000 to 55,000 flu reacted deaths. We have not seen that many covid19 cases.

However Feb 21 there were 35 usa  cases and now around 6500. Basically doubling every 3 days. Hospitals are not equipted to handle huge number of cases. Maybe all of this is overreaction but can we afford to be wrong and not get control.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Some number from the cdc. There are 36 million to 51 million flu illnesses a year. Out of that 370, 000 to 670,000 hospitalizations. Out of that 20,000 to 55,000 flu reacted deaths. We have not seen that many covid19 cases.

However Feb 21 there were 35 usa  cases and now around 6500. Basically doubling every 3 days. Hospitals are not equipted to handle huge number of cases. Maybe all of this is overreaction but can we afford to be wrong and not get control.

Bingo!

This is a big ol case of "how much you wanna gamble" and subsequently "how much are you willing to lose".

I'm confident that alot of this is way over hyped, however the I do not for a second believe that several nations would elect to send their economies strait to ruin if this weren't an existential crisis... I just can't see that. Greed is mighty powerful, but thus far this "pandemic" is proving to be stronger than greed in some instances.

I honestly suspect that this is a much more severe problem than is being let on.

Also, alot of folks are hung up on the "there's only x many cases here and there" and that's a croc. I would urge people to recognize those are only the cases we are aware of.

I really hope this is just a host of irrational actions made by irrational actors, however something tells me we are headed for big trouble.

As I said before, I hope everyone stays safe and healthy...

Everyone's gonna feel this, sick or not.

As for the economy, they make money both ways. Win or lose. It called hedge funds. I wouldnt stake anything on a bunch of greedy politicians and fund managers. Remember the housing crisis?  They sold packaged mortgages as investments to churches and old people, knowing the odds were they would default when the bubble burst, then they hedged their options and waited till it did. They would trade mortality rates in a heart beat, and laugh when we all died out. 

Im not saying to abandon caution. But people fist fighting over toilet paper is just insane. I can almost see the school closings. Almost. I dont want anyone getting sick or hurt either. But when everyone is freaking out, and hoarding (its hoarding if you bought more than you use in a month) and buying BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH that wont help or they dont need, like hand sanitizer, and baby wipes and formula, when you dont have a baby, its beyond stupid. And those of us trying to stay civilized and not running to the store to buy stuff because we dont need it yet, are faced with the decision to either go now and buy before the stores close, or before some dingbat comes back in to buy more toilet paper (when he bought 37 packs 2 days ago), or to do without. So we get sucked in to the vortex anyway. And every news station and social media post, every news paper, almost everywhere you look, its COVID-19, or corona virus.....Good grief. Im scared what will happen when a major problem really hits us, not just speculation, projections and presumption. 

Sorry, just my $.02.

well, at the end of the day tomorrow, i'm out of work for atleast 3 weeks as well.  I work for a chevy dealership as a wrench, we are deemed non essential, and with NY's 25% work staff on sight decree today, that forced us to wrap things up and shut down. so, looks like I will be getting some extra bench time as well.

Dwayne.

In regards to your last statement..

"Im scared what will happen when a major problem really hits us, not just speculation, projections and presumption.  "

The COVID Crisis, IS a major problem. A sickness that doubles the number of victims every three days, is the very definition of "Major Problem".

I'll agree with 100% about the selfish hoarding and foolish shoppers. That will come to a stop eventually, but not until the Fear subsides. This thing is slowly building, but the rate of growth is accelerating. That is bad in all ways.  I'd be prepared for the worst, and Pray for the best.              Be Prudent and prepare as best you can. All that any of us can do, really.

Stay Safe.

Folks, this is real and serious. We need to do what we are asked, and watch the situation. It changes daily.

I am disappointed with the idiots hoarding and even more so with those seeking to make a profit. The scammers should be lined up and shot.

And I have no tolerance for the conspiracy folks on Facebook or anyone trying to politicize this dire situation. 

These are trying times but rest assured that the world’s best scientists are working around the clock.  They’re talking about the vaccines for malaria and Ebola being tested as possible cures. There was a guy from Washington state saying he was given a five day therapy of the malaria drug and got better.   Have faith.

So let’s all calm down, be nice and support each other, and pray for the best! 

36 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

36 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Folks, this is real and serious. We need to do what we are asked, and watch the situation. It changes daily.

I am disappointed with the idiots hoarding and even more so with those seeking to make a profit. The scammers should be lined up and shot.

And I have no tolerance for the conspiracy folks on Facebook or anyone trying to politicize this dire situation. 

These are trying times but rest assured that the world’s best scientists are working around the clock.  They’re talking about the vaccines for malaria and Ebola being tested as possible cures. There was a guy from Washington state saying he was given a five day therapy of the malaria drug and got better.   Have faith.

So let’s all calm down, be nice and support each other, and pray for the best! 

AMEN!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

What about the two brothers in Hixon Tennessee going on a 1300 mile roundtrip buying up 18k worth of hand sanitizer and sani wipes? These guys was selling $4 bottles of santizer on amazon for $60 lol. These guys literally live about 15 minutes from me so its been all over the local news. I have had some debates with a few folks about this and youd be suprised how many people side with these guys. 

Is it against the law to buy up stuff and make a profit? Nope it isnt

Is it wrong in a time of crisis to make a buck off desperate people? absolutely 

The Santizer was "donated" ? to emergency workers and churches after these guys received death threats and made news everywhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.amp.html

Whether or not you take this seriously all the people who panic and hoard up everything affects us all. 

Im still working and as of now we have no plans of shutting down.

Edited by Scott8950